Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VTX Surfing

SurfNubie

I've been trying to find a forum discussion on this specific boat for surfing, I'm sure it's someone so I apologize in advance for the redundancy.

Last year I went surfing behind a friends X2 and absolutely found a new passion. (My days of barefoot crashes needed to end anyway.) I'm looking at purchasing a 2008 Malibu VTX, it has 1250 lbs of ballast in 3 compartments plus a wedge. I'm 6'1" - 220 lbs and typically would only have my wife (130 lbs) a 3 year old, and two black labs in the boat when we go out. Given this, how good of a boat is the '08 VTX when it comes to surfing? It sounds like I'll need an additional ballast in the bow, does anyone have experience surfing this particular boat? Any pro's/con's/issues on the '08 VTX I should know about?

Thanks in advance....

Had an 07 VTX we surfed a ton. Ran 750 bag surf side locker, surf side tank full, 500 bag surf side seat, full middle tank, 750 bow, wedge all the way down at about 11mph

IMG_9283_zps7793086a.jpg

08 VTX. We run Full MLS except non surf side, 750 in rear locker surf side, 340 tube under surf side seats, no wedge about 10.5 MPH. If its just me and the wife I will throw another 400 lb bag on top of the seat surf side.

Good push, acceptable length and size for a boat we mostly use to ski behind. Love the boat, have nothing bad to say or any regrets what so ever.

6333038804_bc4c8d4f00.jpg

I ran 750 in the surf locker, wedge In the vertical position, 400 on the surf side seat and another 400 in the bow plus stock ballast minus non surf side. Ran about 10.4. Great wave