Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cooler remove

Can anyone tell me how to remove the cooler and that last bit of rail where the fold up seat is mounted to? Or rather can I remove that rail without moving the cooler? Got everything else figured, stuck on this portion

IMG_20140327_193700_zps1d0600b4.jpg

Edited by racer808

No one? I've got the rail with the rear speakers off, flip up seat off, but that last bit that the flip up seat mounts to is a pain, can't find the clamps. I'm assuming the cooler must come out? But how?

There should be a few screw that go from the inside lip of the cooler into the seat bases. But don't forget to remove the copper drain line. It wil act as a pin and not allow it to slide out. If I remember right there is one or two L brackets under the cooler that hold the seat bases in.

There should be a few screw that go from the inside lip of the cooler into the seat bases. But don't forget to remove the copper drain line. It wil act as a pin and not allow it to slide out. If I remember right there is one or two L brackets under the cooler that hold the seat bases in.

Got those screws out but the cooler still won't budge. I don't see a drain line, I see a hole that just goes into the bilge. Also, not sure how am I supposed to get the cooler out before the seat base?? Just force it? I don't want to break it

i would remove the rail, makes things a lot easier. Cooler might have brackets on the bottom holding it to the floor firmly. Also there was a drain on mine and wouldn't be able to reconnect the the drain hose unless i had the rail out.

i would remove the rail, makes things a lot easier. Cooler might have brackets on the bottom holding it to the floor firmly. Also there was a drain on mine and wouldn't be able to reconnect the the drain hose unless i had the rail out.

You mean the top rail? How does that come out? If you mean the side rail that the seat sits on, that is what I am struggling to remove, I think the brackets are under the cooler

Once all the screws are out and the drain tubing removed, on my 02 the cooler just slides into the rear compartment.

There should be a small piece of 1/4" copper tubing with one side flaired with a tad bit of silicone to keep it sealed that drains into the bilge.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47540-vlx-gas-tank-removal/

Here is a guy who already posted how to remove the cooler.

Not trying to be to much a d*** but the search fuction can be helpful.

Searched it, found it, wouldn't have asked if it solved the problem. His PM was helpful though, I now know where the copper tube is

Just curious, but could you show a picture of the cooler? I see the fuel tank, the access hatch but no cooler anywhere...

Cooler is the black part in the top of the picture with the seat still covering it. It was the last pic. Got the seat off now & other stuff but couldn't figure out the cooler. Think I have it now

Thanks...doesn't look like fun.

Now that I know where this copper tube is & that you slide it back, not try to squeeze it out the top I think it should be easy. Won't know till I get home & try but it was driving me nuts yesterday trying to figure it out.

Not sure if mine ever had it, but now I know why it was removed.

You know, we've used it once. I have this collapsable cooler that fits under the seat perfectly & then another smaller once I stick in the observer cabin for our food. I found the ice in the built in cooler melts way too fast

Edited by racer808

That dang copper tube frustrated the living daylights out of me the first time.

Once it was out it made it easy to pull everything to shampoo the carpets.

That dang copper tube frustrated the living daylights out of me the first time.

Once it was out it made it easy to pull everything to shampoo the carpets.

How did you get it out? Is it not as simple as just pushing it out from the bilge area into the cooler?

It is, once you realise that it is there.

I plug it every time we go out, but in the early spring when I was cleaning the boat I didn't think about it being there.

So after me cussing the boat and checking clearences and looking for hidden screws I noticed the shiny copper. Once I got the silicone loose I just pulled it from the cooler side with pliers. It came out fairly easy. Would have been easier if it wasn't crimped from me trying to get the cooler out with it in.

Cool. Hopefully mine comes out & I can finish the carpet. One dumb question, am I required by law to re-install the boat capacity rating sign on the drivers side or can I ditch it?

Cool. Hopefully mine comes out & I can finish the carpet. One dumb question, am I required by law to re-install the boat capacity rating sign on the drivers side or can I ditch it?

I believe this is a tag required by the USCG. Details here.

The decal on the back regarding laws about being on the swimstep while the boat is running is also required. But I believe this is a state law & may not be in every state. I removed it when I stripped all the other decals off the boat, then found out that WA state required it & ID did not (I split a lot of time between the two). So I have a new decal in the glovebox with my registration for the day I get pushed into a corner about not having it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • 5 years later...

So i have a different seating configuration in my VLX (No cooler). I need the gas tank out to do some hull repair as well. The seats subframe is driving me crazy. It appears to be all 1 piece. That cant be true? can it? Can anyone suggest what im missing here?

7JCs7FS.jpg

Pretty sure it’s not one piece, but the carpet over it is...for the most part. You’ll be able to see the bolts holding the pieces together and the brackets to the floor. If you were thinking about changing the flooring/ carpet it would be a great time! 

That makes sense, Ill be giving it another go within the hour. And I agree about the carpet, just depends on how much my hull repair costs. Might be a good winter project, I am already sacrificing some lake time.

Thanks for the advice