Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black cover vs. vinyl

Any specific brand or year made cover prone to discoloring vinyl, or is it all of them?

This is an OEM cover from 2005 I bought used...first time I really plan to use it...Should I be concerned?

post-3471-13962002901578_thumb.jpg

I have the stock gray Malibu cover that came with my TXi, last summer up at the lake

for two weeks, and with all the barefooting lots of water in the boat, wet carpet in the back.

I covered the boat every night, next morning had some dew on the inside of the cover

but had no issues of any discoloration of any sort.

Had the same cover on my F3, never an issue.

Any specific brand or year made cover prone to discoloring vinyl, or is it all of them?

This is an OEM cover from 2005 I bought used...first time I really plan to use it...Should I be concerned?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1396200286.691623.jpg

I have, I'm pretty sure, the exact same cover for my boat. First three or four seasons, using that cover 24/7/365 (my boat stays on a covered lift year round),

I didn't have any problem with vinyl discoloration. Then, a purplish discoloration showed up all across the entire rear edge of my engine cover/sun pads

(v-drive). The discoloration faded with sunlight but never really completely went away. I've since had all the affected areas reupholstered.

I've been wrapping old diaper-changing pads around the rear edge of those panels, when I cover the boat for the last time each weekend, so there is no

actual contact with the black cover, and, hopefully, less heat build up when in direct sunlight (I've actually been doing this for the last several years because

it seemed to help, if not completely prevent, any further discoloration of the old vinyl). I'm hoping that that will prevent problems with my new vinyl, but its

too early to know for sure.

If I were you, I'd take similar precautions. Pretty easy to do, and it certainly won't hurt.

I left on my stock black cover one day in front of my house, I believe it was around 80, Then notice a rusty discoloration in the bow on both sides, Showed it to my dealer they ordered me new replacement skins under warranty, I cant say for sure it was because of the Black cover but I would bet that's what did it, So I never leave it on in the heat, Usually when I have it at the lake camping it's only on at night and I dont tow with it on, If I had to do it again it would be Gray!! Now this only effected the Gray Vinyl, photo5_zps90e6b688.jpg