Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

g3 tower surf rack

Picklefork24

I just got some factory fixed mount racks from Malibu that are angled up and mounted them above my factory spinner racks. I was running a combo of inland sufer skim style (kind of fat), wakeboards (skinny), and a phase 5 sufer (skinny). I just picked up a Ronix Duke as I thought a big board might be nice for beginners, and for me to ride with the kiddos. I was pretty bummed to find out that the Duke is too fat to fit in the rack. After searching through tons of forums it looks like there are a lot of options for replacement forks for illusion towers but not many for the G3. Has anyone been brave enough to cut the middle fork off yet so a fat board can fit? It would be pretty wide but I'm thinking that worst case I could add a little bit of padding on the fork to snug up the board. Heck...if it works I may even hack off the one on the other side to carry a kneeboard up there. I'm sure I've come up with worse ideas...thoughts? I came up with this idea after a couple of cocktails after today's session...shoot me straight crew!

I think it's not a bad idea if you could cut it so it's finished off and looks nice. Even if there was some free play after its bungied down it would probably be fine.

I have no idea what you could use to cut it and finish it off to make it look factory. Plasma cutter?

I don't think the extra play will be a big deal either. It's not like wake boards and such don't work in the fatter fittings. I was thinking machine shop. Plasma with a really steady hand would probably work. Sawzall, grinder, and mothers power ball could "get r dun"...but I don't see myself going that route on this project! I just need to find a machine shop in Phoenix so I'll take recommendations if anyone has them. I'll post up some results when I get it all sorted out. Thanks crew!

• 2 weeks later...

Found some forks on DIY Wake that have a 4" gap and a wakeboard gap. I think I can trim and drill them to fit the factory Malibu mount. They shipped yesterday....

• 2 weeks later...

Update...the DIY wake kneeboard/wakeboard combo forks are awesome. A little grinding, a little drilling, a little polishing and they look like the factory Malibu racks! I'd post a pic but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do it!

Update...the DIY wake kneeboard/wakeboard combo forks are awesome. A little grinding, a little drilling, a little polishing and they look like the factory Malibu racks! I'd post a pic but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do it!

LOL. You can make a DIY surf rack that looks factory, but can't figure out how to post a pic on teh interweb?

One of those things is easy and the other requires real skill. I'll let you guess which is which.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

photo7_zps15875999.jpg?t=1398919563

Middle rack is stock, right rack is DIY Wake, left rack is drilled and ground/shaped/polished.

Edited by Picklefork24

Thanks! I still can't believe nobody makes them. I made a set for a buddy too. Next time I have some time maybe I'll order a few more blanks and make a few sets. Or maybe someone will start making them and selling them for an affordable price!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys

Made some timber templates for surfboards on the spinning rack today looking for ideas of what to make them out of.

Cheers

AC0F164F-51C3-4DFC-B7C5-4CA015036972_zpsDCA6A356-943F-48B0-8C08-DECC2FBA9E11_zps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aluminum is probably your best bet unless you have a way to make some kind of composite. I found the DIY website to have something "close" to what I wanted to try to get made and went from there. You could take your templates to a machine shop and ask them their thoughts. Your templates look great!

OZ...that looks like a pretty neat idea. Post some pics when you are done!!! The boards would definitely "like" sitting on nylon.

OZ...that looks like a pretty neat idea. Post some pics when you are done!!! The boards would definitely "like" sitting on nylon.

Hey guys

Finished project but the jury is still out !

Couple of photos

73FC9C15-5EC6-4360-A325-15FCD69DEC3F_zps

87323656-10BF-4207-9A99-509152F2A96B_zps

8A43C922-F5ED-4FCA-915B-9900BB92CD15_zps

D4182791-7E99-4D24-AF36-42E98214FA38_zps

0CE2BCC2-6E35-41F3-A24D-51C7DF90044B_zps

It all went together great the glass boards are now well looked after padded all round my only concern is the stiffness it does flex a bit ,only time will tell.

Cheers

I'm curious if you took a piece of that stuff and saw what it takes to snap off a skinny piece of it.

I am also the fingers are 20 x 20mm and 500mm long they do flex a lot but don't break. When all strapped together quite strong. If I had made it from aluminium definitely would be no problem.

I will cut a strip out of the off cuts and test breakage on my next day off.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Check Fluid Core USA Raptor range of racks, I have them on my G3 tower & they are awesome, they have designed a bracket for the upper rack mount to give it more angle so that it does not impede on the lower racks. Price is really good too.

• Like 1

^^^^^^ This^^^^^ I too, have a set of the raptor racks and for the price, you can't beat em. Not sure you could beat em at any price but for about 300 for a set, it's a sure bet. Quality is excellent and doesn't look homemade. The company is originally from Australia too. If they still have roots there, it might be reasonable for shopping for all you guys getting ready for summer. I'm all for a DIY project but cutting board racks for expensive surfboards is not one one I'd consider.

http://wakeboardaustin.com

http://fluidcore.com.au

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Check this thread. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51240-upper-fixed-wakeboard-racks-for-g3/page-2

I put a couple pictures and a short video showing the bottom rack swinging with boards on it. I will put my surf boards in the top rack but I put wakeboards in both racks for the video because that's where the most interference will happen (bindings). Still swings when both racks full with wakeboards. I chose the surf/surf option. I am very happy with their quality and service.