Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Bearings on Trailer

Hello all,

I have a 2007 Extreme Trailer with Trailer Buddy Axles and oil lubrication bearings. My question is should I change these bearings to the new Vault Lubrication system with the semi-fluid oil, or just keep running the current set up? Anyone still running these bearings without a problem? I found a post from 2012, but I thought I would start a new one to update this topic.

I also wanted to know if I used the Lucas Hub Oil if it would cause a problem? I am not sure the exact weight, one website said 65 weight?

The manual says I need to use 50 weight. In fact I am tempted to use some of my old Mercruiser gear oil in them. Just curious what others have done.

Edited by Dodger40

i had an issue with a wheel that caused a rebuld on the road. the mechanic that repacked everything said the bearings looked new. that was one full summer ago on an 04 boat mate. I have done one oil change since i have owned it (08?) lots of launches and road trips. i did use 50 weight

I never had an issue on my last trailer. was a 2005 extreme, sold in 2010. I just changed with the engine oil, figured it wouldn't hurt to be anal about it. I just used the oil I used on the boat. My dealers tech said to just use what I put in the boat and i would be fine

I have a '06 Extreme tandem and still have the original oil in them. Thousands of miles of towing and dunks. No problems. I now think I should replace the oil too. I also have heard that 50 wt oil is preferred.

Ok so I started to change the oil and the port side plugs are stripped. I think the previous owner might have used the wrong tool. Are they torx or Allen bolt? Do I call UPF to replace the plugs or should I try Ace hardware? Anyone know the measurement?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I spoke too soon...Lost an outer bearing on the way home from the lake Saturday. I'm 5 years and about 4 weeks since I took delivery, called UFP and they are taking care of it! Outstanding customer service. Happened at a really bad spot on a two lane road with no where to pull over...it wasn't good, but I did manage to limp home on 3 wheels.

I guess I spoke too soon...Lost an outer bearing on the way home from the lake Saturday. I'm 5 years and about 4 weeks since I took delivery, called UFP and they are taking care of it! Outstanding customer service. Happened at a really bad spot on a two lane road with no where to pull over...it wasn't good, but I did manage to limp home on 3 wheels.

I got Vaults on my new to me 2012 trailer. Hope they hold up like my 06, it had Bearing Buddies and 8 years trouble free.

Dalt,

I've been towing boats for 14 years now and that is the first bearing issue I have ever had. While I would rather not have the experience, it has provided for more learning about the vault system and tricks to get the old trailing arm/spindle off.

• 1 year later...

What are the tricks to getting the old spindle off?  I just had one go out this weekend and my need to replace the spindle as well.

Assuming it's a torsion axle trailer, a really big hammer and some PB blaster.  If you take the clamping bolt out of the spindle and then try to pry the "gap" where the spindle slides on the axle it will bind up.  Just remove the clamping bolt and pound it off.  I would mark the splines so you get the new spindle on in the same location. 

On April 8, 2014 at 0:49 AM, Dodger40 said:

Ok so I started to change the oil and the port side plugs are stripped. I think the previous owner might have used the wrong tool. Are they torx or Allen bolt? Do I call UPF to replace the plugs or should I try Ace hardware? Anyone know the measurement?

Did the same thing to mine. Called UFP...Its just an 1/8" NPT pipe plug. It's an allen bolt. don't know the size off the top of my head. 

Edited by TheBoy82
extra info