Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter Lxi surf options

braindamage

So there's water on my lake...it's on top of the ice, but at least there's visible water!!

D-Goose sent a message asking about a group buy, so I'm in need of some opinions...I have been researching surf setup for my boat during the winter and I've gotten it town to one of 2 options:

Option 1- Fill the floor with sacs:

qty 3 750# - one on either side of the engine and one behind on whatever side I'm listing to

qty 1 650# on floor in bowrider and in walkway

total weight: 2900#

Benefits: Easiest to install, can still use lockers for boards/skis, ventilation of wet sacs

Downside: Climbing over the sacs, drain/refill time for switching sides, where to put them when not filled

Option2 - Hide the sacs

qty 1-1100# in trunk (I'll have to reinforce it first)

qty 1-650# under rear seat (I'll have to make a new base to accommodate the extra height/width)

qty 1-650# in center locker

Total weight: 2100#

Add Manual Surfgate

Benefits: Hidden, don't have to climb over them, once configured I can plumb them in, faster to switch sides, setup for auto-surfgate in future

Downside: Less weight cuz sacs won't fully fill, More work to install, wet in areas that are enclosed, have to buy boardracks for tower

Either way I'll be using my manual wedge...I was thinking about angling the foil to simulate a floating wedge but nobody seems to have done that...I guess there are a bunch of reasons.

Thoughts?

Before installing a bunch of ballast I would try the manual fill route first just to see how you like the wake and if it is enough for what your wanting to do. I would probably install one in the center ski locker though for sure if yours doesn't have one.

well...I have a 14yr old boat so I was hoping to leverage advice from those who came before me and have weighted a sunsetter.

I guess I could do:

1-1100 for behind the engine or in rear locker if I reinforce

1-650 for side of engine or under seat if I raise it

1-750 for other side of engine or to sell on craigslist if I find I don't need it

1-650 for center locker no matter what (I have a water seepage problem I need to fix but that's another post)

Do a poor man's gate like slurpee that mounts on the swim platform

I had a 2000 SSLXI and had a 570 rear seat sac in the rear trunk (1100 won't fit, way too tall), MLS sac in floor locker, and 750 along surf side plus wedge. Surf wake was ok. I would put 500+ in the bow too. This hull requires a lot of weight to put out a merely ok wake, but love the slalom wake. We just bought a 99 SSLXI for my in-laws cabin, so I'm excited to ski it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either way I'll be using my manual wedge...I was thinking about angling the foil to simulate a floating wedge but nobody seems to have done that...I guess there are a bunch of reasons.

Not exactly sure what you were imagining, but this might be similar to what you were going for.