Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust riser removal

joshuadale07

Anyone have any good tips on tools that work well to remove the exhaust riser bolts, they are an 8mm Allen. The rear ones are the ones giving me trouble. Front 2 are easily accessible

If you are really lucky, the ball ended allen wrench will let you get them out. You won't be able to use air, but its easier. then having to keep removing the allen wrench over and over

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6-pc-mid-length-ball-hex-bit/p-00942607000P?prdNo=11&blockNo=11&blockType=G11

If not, the cutting is what works. I replaced mine with 12 pt headed bolts, so I can get a regular wrench on them.

If not, the cutting is what works. I replaced mine with 12 pt headed bolts, so I can get a regular wrench on them.

I cut down one out of a cheap Harbor Freight set.

Was planning on going with reduced head "header bolts" when I put it back together. Thought I had some laying around, but couldn't find them, so the allen heads went back in.

I cut down one out of a cheap Harbor Freight set.

Was planning on going with reduced head "header bolts" when I put it back together. Thought I had some laying around, but couldn't find them, so the allen heads went back in.

Yup, Header Bolts is the same thing I bought. Who ever thought up those allen heads at Indmar should be shot.

Agreed, terrible design. I just can't see indmar building these motors and someone sitting there with an Allen wrench tightening every pair of risers on every motor

Who ever thought up those allen heads at Indmar should be shot.

I agree, and this is isn't the only bit of cheesy engineering I've noticed from Indmar. For instance, on a car, the harmonic balancer is retained by a bolt and thick washer. Indmar uses an aluminum pulley to center the raw water pump on the balancer. This is all fine, except since aluminum is not as strong they reduce the install torque from 40ft/lbs to 30ft/lbs. And put a silly stamped star lock washer on the bolt. The really dumb thing is, there is room in the base of the water pump to use the GM washer on top of the pulley. This is what I did, just had to buy a 1/4" longer hardened bolt.