Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 VLX Surf Recipe?

Fman

My friend with a 2011 VLX is looking to surf more this season, he has the 750's in each rear locker. Anyone have any suggestions to produce the best wake possible for this boat?

I was given this recipe:

MLS full except for rear tank opposite surf side

Wedge all way down

750 rear locker

400 surf side seat

400 surf side bow

Total weight is about 2,600 lbs + wedge. He has the 1235 prop on his boat, anyone else have any other recommendations for him?

Mee TOO!

All tanks full. But you have to have enough weight on the surf side to compensate for the non surf side being filled.

I don't like bow weight much. In fact I run none in my boat and prefer to use speed to lengthen the wave. Seems like to much bow weight will stretch the wave, but makes is soft. I say a 400 tube sack under the seat or on the floor next to the surf side seats. His boat most likely has the divider right?

I run all ballast full except non surf side, If a small crew 400 lbs on surf side seat, 1000 lb bow triangle around 1/2 full or 500 lbs. Wedge on autoset 2 clicks up. The wave is nice not the biggest but plenty of push.

Forgot to mention 750 in the rear whoops!

Edited by jb 156

Is a 247 weighted the same as a VLX? It sounds like most run bow weight with the VLX for surfing, he does have dividers under his seat (oem). I am not sure how much more weight the 1235 with Monsoon can handle, 2600 lbs might near capacity. We were talking about putting another 750 on the lounge seat in place of the 400. I am going to plumb in another Johnson pump with a selector valve for him to have two remote fill lines, one in the bow gunwale area and the other for the side sac. Our main goal is to get him a good wake with good push, they are beginner surfers, so helping them not fall out of the wave would help them quite a bit.

Anyone have any pictures of what the above weight setup looks like on the VLX?

post-7173-13960283586498_thumb.jpg

I am 6'2" for reference. These pictures are with a small crew usually only 1 or 2 other guys in the boat. I have a 2012 VLX 1235 prop and the setup i mentioned above.

Edited by jb 156

It's the same hull just longer on the 247. Same principles will apply here. I have spent days messing with weighting this hull and riding it back to back to back. This is where you will notice the difference in what a good wave RIDES like vs. just what looks good.

I only use bow weight if I have to. But also remember I ride at 12.5 ish to get the pocket lengthened. Might be a little intimidating for beginners. I think the 1235 will also be at it's limits too.

So for your setup I would say run the two 400's, one up on the seat near the observers seat area. 750 in the rear corner and the other 400 on the seat at the corner of the wrap around. The better solution would be the under seat sack if this is a permanent solution, or a custom sack from Fly- HI. Wedge would be either all the way down or 1-2 clicks up from full down depending on the wash and prop.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Agreed. As much weight as possible. Best wave I have had is when my gas cap was dragging in the water. I run bow weight, but I typically will run a little more wedge. +1 or 2 clicks. When I have more than the 750 in the rear, I can get away with a little less wedge and it shapes up a little nicer. I run 11-12mph.

With no bow weight, I find the wave to be shorter (length wise) but taller with to steep of a face. Tons of push but Puts you right behind the boat.

I think people ballast is important too. Being able to move 2 or 300 pounds around makes a big difference. 4-500 is even better.

Edited by isellacuras

My friend with a 2011 VLX is looking to surf more this season, he has the 750's in each rear locker. Anyone have any suggestions to produce the best wake possible for this boat?

I was given this recipe:

MLS full except for rear tank opposite surf side

Wedge all way down

750 rear locker

400 surf side seat

400 surf side bow

Total weight is about 2,600 lbs + wedge. He has the 1235 prop on his boat, anyone else have any other recommendations for him?

I have an 11 VLX - What you said except 1 or 2 click up on the wedge and half hard tank up front. Small Crew. 10.5 mph - It's very nice!

By the way I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but using the wedge doesn't usually produce desirable effects but sometimes it does. Play around with it and see what you think. I have to use the wedge with my boat but on the 2009 vride we don't use it.

Also I will tell you that it takes time to dial the wave! Don't just throw down the weight and assume it right because we told ya so. It took me forever to get the wave I have because I never thought the prop would effect the wave like it did. The prop was the missing piece to the puzzle for me.

By the way I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but using the wedge doesn't usually produce desirable effects but sometimes it does. Play around with it and see what you think. I have to use the wedge with my boat but on the 2009 vride we don't use it.

Also I will tell you that it takes time to dial the wave! Don't just throw down the weight and assume it right because we told ya so. It took me forever to get the wave I have because I never thought the prop would effect the wave like it did. The prop was the missing piece to the puzzle for me.

I agree. Not only do you have to dial it in, but you have to tune it each time out. I know mine is very sensitive. I am constantly shifting and changing things around. And don't move around on the boat, like to get a drink or something out of the glove box. The wave can go bad quickly.