Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's your definition of shallow water?

jeepurz

Mostly mallard, teal, and buffleheads.

I used to hut duck's as well but you can't find a way to make them taste like anything other than chalk. So now I let em land and fly off LOL

I used to hut duck's as well but you can't find a way to make them taste like anything other than chalk. So now I let em land and fly off LOL

Duck Jerky. Disappears as fast as I can make it.

ahopkins22LSV

Amen.

We had another incident on the Columbia River right where the Snake dumps into it near TriCities, WA. I'm driving the boat, Curley is riding. I see a red nav marker & start looking for the green one, but am having a tough time finding it. The closer to the red marker we get, the more I'm wondering WTH to do here. I ask my buddy Kevin, "red right returning, does that mean I'm supposed to stay on the right side of red or keep it on my right?"

Kevin is like, WHAT?????

So I try again, "there is a red nav marker coming up, I know I'm supposed to do something here but can't remember what".

About that time, Curley goes down in a flash. This is a 300 lb guy.... he doesn't do ANYTHING in a flash. But he comes right back up & waves, so we come back around to him, thinking he's OK. But as we approach him in the boat..... HE STANDS UP! He's in like 3' of water! I chop the throttle & look over the side, and sure enough, we're about 3' over a rock bar.... in the middle of the river! Luckily the boat never hit. Curley's foil needed a little tuning. And Curley needed a couple of 222s & a bottle of Jack to get himself tuned back up too.

Did you ever come to a consensus? :lol:

Not sure on a river, but when coming back to port: "Red light, return." Coming back into a port, channel, marina your red marker should be on your right.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Not sure on a river, but when coming back to port: "Red light, return." Coming back into a port, channel, marina your red marker should be on your right.

So what if your 300 miles from the coast & have no clue which way it is??

ahopkins22LSV

So what if your 300 miles from the coast & have no clue which way it is??

Then you aren't returning to port yet ;)

If you were 300 miles from the coast and there was a red marker with no green in site I would be clueless too. Also, if I am 300 miles from the coast in my TXi I am :help:

Then you aren't returning to port yet ;)

If you were 300 miles from the coast and there was a red marker with no green in site I would be clueless too. Also, if I am 300 miles from the coast in my TXi I am :help:

Did he mean that or that he was 300 miles inland from the coast and wouldn't know which way "port" was?

Did he mean that or that he was 300 miles inland from the coast and wouldn't know which way "port" was?

See! It IS confusing, huh!

We are 300 miles from the coast. But when I'm driving up the river, I may or may not be aware of which way is west. Obviously if the sun is setting, that isn't a problem. But at high noon...... :dontknow:

Not sure if there is a port around there. But knowing port or starboard shouldn't have anything to do with it. Not real clear which port your referring to.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

AH.. maybe that is so. Still would be a very tricky situation. For example, and this is my thinking this through my keyboard, lets use the MI coast of Lake MI. Some rivers run quite far inland, not near 300 miles but far enough in to were you can't see the coast. Then if I am traveling west, my red markers need to be on my port side because I would be technically "leaving port" and the other way around for if I was traveling east. That is tricky though because there might be a completely different set of rules for if you are that far inland or away from port.

I just remember "red light return" from 7th grade boater safety class and honestly it has helped a few times in Lake St Clair when we are leaving/returning to a marina or one of the many inlets/channels/rivers on the lake. Very quick way to determine where you are in that scenario but, you bring up a great point too.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

See! It IS confusing, huh!

We are 300 miles from the coast. But when I'm driving up the river, I may or may not be aware of which way is west. Obviously if the sun is setting, that isn't a problem. But at high noon...... :dontknow:

Not sure if there is a port around there. But knowing port or starboard shouldn't have anything to do with it. Not real clear which port your referring to.

In this case, port means the harbor. In coastal areas, you remember "red, right, return". As you "return" to port, keep the "red" marker buoys to your "right".

In this case, port means the harbor. In coastal areas, you remember "red, right, return". As you "return" to port, keep the "red" marker buoys to your "right".

OK, I get that. And if I'm out at sea & heading west towards the port, it seems like it would make sense. But if I'm east of the port (inland), do the same rules apply?

And if you are pulling a rider, figure it out FAST!

Usually, when I see a nav marker, I look for the other one & just stay in the middle.

Usually, when I see a nav marker, I look for the other one & just stay in the middle.

This. :)

But to answer the question, unless it's changed, on the Columbia "returning" is going upstream, no matter where you are on the river.

red, right, returning is how Navy folks remember.

This. :)

But to answer the question, unless it's changed, on the Columbia "returning" is going upstream, no matter where you are on the river.

OK, but if your in a boat doing 25 mph, and the river is so big that it's tough to tell which way the current is going, how do you know which way is upstream?

I guess these are details I should work out before I start the boat. :Doh:

Could this be the marker you're referring to? I see an unmarked sandbar nearby... :(

Wow, that's amazing detail. Yea, definitely the general area. Look at all the sandbars around there! One thing I remember about it was when we looked over the side of the boat, it was definitely NOT sand. It was ROCKS like the size of your fist!

Crazy! Amazing that we got away with one that day. Curley was the only one damaged & it wasn't that bad. The belt bruised his hips a little, but thankfully no bad injuries.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Duck wraps don't taste to chalky to me! Fried duck, duck gumbo, duck Creole, duck ettoufe, baked duck in jalepeno jelly, shrimp ducky (@ Copeland's), etc - kind of like Forest Gump lol#

Take the breasts and soak in water for a day and change out the water periodically. After a day, soak in milk. Then take bacon and lay it out long ways and coat one side with cream cheese and chopped jalapenos mixed up. Wrap the bacon around the breast, stick a toothpick thru it and put it on the grill. This is my favorite way, great appetizers. You can substitute deer/chicken/etc in for the duck too.

Edited by jwl019

It always amazes me how we can take a thread that starts about shallow water and ends up with how to cook duck.

Inboards/Ducks and shallow water go hand in hand, both can operate in them but deeper water is always nicer when available lol!

What I want to know is which boat would make the best skiing/surfing/duck hunting crossover? VTX?

247. Those things are big enough to have different area codes within the boat. You could have a zone for each activity!