Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat rules

isellacuras

This last year we also implemented the "must do something else before the tube comes out" rule. Best thing we ever did. That's all our kids ever wanted to do and now after one season the 11 yr old loves surfing, the 8 yr old loves to ski, and the 5 yr old loves the kneeboard. There were even a couple days the tube never made it out...man, I love those days!

• Like 3

Rule #1- If you bring "it", "it will get wet" and IDGAS you were warned! #2 No whinning, crying or bitching and leave work discussions at work. #3 Cell phones are big buzz kills! Don't let your phone interfere with my good boating days! I used to spin up over the spills until I figured out to just throw some river water on it to dilute it, then pull the carpet and clean upon return!

I don't have many rules, and also have had an older boat for the last 10 years. I will be bringing my new T22 home soon and don't really plan to have any rules other then removing your shoes since you have to step on a seat to enter. Other then that, my only rule is to have fun!!

I really only have a few hard rules.

1. Clean your feet before you get in. (We put shoes above the V-drive

2. Kids need to stay sitting while we are moving

3. Take out what you brought in.

4. Respect everyone in the boat.

5. Try and help out the driver with ropes etc.

I really do appreciate the people who help out during the day and at the end of the day. It just makes the whole experience so much better for everybody!

• Like 1

Did I miss No Smoking?

I had to broaden that to no tobacco as a chewer left a cup full chew in my boat, yuck.

I guess if anyone I knew smoked or chewed, that would be a rule too. Don't meet many athletic types who do

I don't have many cosmetic rules as my boat is an '87.

1. Mainly for the kids... if you want to tube, you gotta ski or board first.

2. For the adults... don't break two laws at one time.

3. For anyone going with me on the boat that day... ask me if I put the plug in.

isellacuras- you should add #3 to your list.

Don't need number 3 since check the plugs is on my list. I'm incorporating number 2. Good times tonight Jalama. Gotta love the not so calm before the storm. Now let it rain.

Never understood the dry boat thing. I mean, how dry do you make them get on the platform? Like bone dry? What about kids who want to jump off the front of the boat, swim around, and climb into the boat from the platform then do it all again? They have to completely dry off on every circuit?

Do your lady guests feel a little creepy while they are standing on the platform towel drying every drop off them while everyone watches? In my boat, they come out of the water, wrap a towel around themselves, and go have a seat.

Do you guys have a stroke if you are out boating and, Heaven forbid, it starts to rain? What do you do....send everyone overboard with life jackets on and install your Evolution cover till the rain passes?

I ask my guess to drain their wet suit and life vest on the swim plate form before climbing in the boat and keep all the wet gear aft of the engine, to respect thou in the front trying to keep dry. I only really in force the that rule in the cold month at the beginning and end of then season. If it hot out who cares it will dry in couple minutes.

No shoes

No colored drinks

No orange cheesy snacks.

When I'm done with boating we will go home.

MalibuNation

I ask people to stand on the swim platform for about a minute so they can get dry a bit. Especially for guys try to wring their bathing suit to remove water. There's plenty of room on the platform for the next rider to get ready.

Not too many rules for me:

1. I am the captain

2. The captain always gets to ski the first glass

3. Please don't run over the rope

4. If you are pulling me and there are any wierd sounds or vibrations, shut 'er down right stinkin' now!

5. Have fun dang it!

• Like 3

Vaporblue,

I too have the make the kids try something else before tubing. Actually, sometimes I "forget" to bring the tube. Somehow kids still have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geez guys, those are a lot of rules. Why worry about it so much? Some things that I guarantee will happen on my boat this summer:

-We will drink Mocha's in the morning, beer & pop during the day, and probably some wine will make it's way on board in the evening

-I will smoke a cigar or cigarettes while cruising and sipping on whatever at night (assuming the kids are not with us)

-We will eat chips & whatever dip my wife puts together. It just might be salsa.

-Watermelon may get brought onto the boat at some point during the summer

-My boys will do chin ups at random moments off the tower. They will try to outdo each other. This year the younger one might win!

-Any one of 4 different devices will get plugged into my head unit. Everybody knows what is appropriate and what isn't

-I'll clean the boat myself, I enjoy it.

-There will be suntan lotion covering lots of vinyl

-Newbies will be taught to wakeboard, and boards will be dragged and scraped on the teak

-People will drip all over each other getting in and out of the boat, hopefully with a "DID YOU SEE ME DO THAT?!?"

All that will happen, and the boat will still look great. Honestly, don't worry so much about it so much guys, you boat is tougher than you think.

Finally someone who sees it my way! I didn't realize so many of you had a list rules for your boat. Do you read them off when people get into your boat? I can understand the no shoes in the boat, but no alcohol? Try telling my wife she can't bring wine or a cocktail to the lake. She'd laugh hysterically.

It's just a boat. (F'n expensive boat) but you have to relax and enjoy it.

Bottoms up! Summer is coming!!! :horse:

Sorry if some of you find this offensive... but as a rule, I'm super easy going... :biggrin:

• Like 3
No shoes

No spray sunscreen

No glass

No horseplay

No standing on the seats

No kids without life vests

No beaching

Kids can't move when under way

No chee toes or orange chips

No sunflower seeds or in shell peanuts

No colored drinks. Kool aid, red wine etc.

No sitting on top of drivers seat backrest

No fishing from inside boat swim step only

No power turns (unless for safety)

Always try to circle downed rider on your right

Always approach a downed rider at idle

Never approach dock faster than willing to hit it

Never let the boat touch the dock when loading

Always check for plugs

Always check oil level

Always veer right to oncoming traffic

Always make sure other boats know which way you're going

Always be aware of your surroundings

Always acknowledge others downed riders

Always lend a hand to others in need

Always be courteous

Always be careful

Always use common sense

Always wipe down inside and out after loading on trailer

Always keep $20+ in glove box

DONT SWAMP THE BOAT!! (inside joke)

Always follow boating laws

Things I try to do regularly but often make exceptions:

walk it on the trailer

empty boat gear before storage (I keep boat at storage facility year round)

cover when outside

pull plug after every use

*I reserve the right to add, change and ignore any of the rules above.

I'm sure there's more. It's really the top 10 and the 3 C's that are absolute musts. Luckily I have a very competent crew and don't really need to enforce much. I state some of the more important ones to the newbies before boarding but most of it is on me to keep things from happening as the day goes on. I feel that I am responsible for everyone on the boat. If anyone thinks I'm out of line on any of these, feel free to speak up. Id like to hear any that others have that I might have missed.

I never expect anyone to pay but I do expect them to help out with clean up.

All these rules...do you work in government?

• Like 1

Just enjoyed 45 minutes reading two of these threads. Very entertaining.

No real rules for me. I’ve owned boats for over 30 years now, they are going to get wet, banged on and tap docks a little to hard. You can’t stop it. Why obsess over it?

I do have one rule I enforce as needed, no rap or the ultra screamer, growling rock thing...

Edited by AndyP

All these rules...do you work in government?

They're more guidelines than rules. I just want to keep everyone safe and the boat nice. Most of it is common sense stuff for boaters, but if I see someone break out the sunflower seeds or spray sunscreen, yes, I enforce. Have you ever had a glass bottle break and get stuck in boat carpet? I have and it cut feet in the boat for a year or more. Have you ever forgot to put the plug in or put the tie down straps on? I have. And the results were not good. Wrestling in the boat? C'mon, you know that's not a good idea. We have a good time when we go out. I don't have to harp on the stuff with my crew because they know and are respectful. Sometimes noobs have no idea and are clueless. If I see something I don't like, I say something and don't let it happen. The "always" and "never" are a bit of an overstatement as there's always an exception. I really like the no breaking two rules at once and the trying a real watersport before tubing.

• Like 3

What is with the no alcohol rule?

I don't drink, never have and I never even thought to ban alcohol on my boat, but this is my first boat so maybe it will all make sense when I get on the water with a big crew?

I'm amazed at the number of you guys who apparently take strangers out on a routine basis. It's just my family most of the time. If friends come, I never charge for gas. It's nice if they offer to help clean up.

Last year my wife and I took two German exchange scientists out, and they mostly just gazed with their jaws gaping open. So maybe I had to clean up drool puddles. Seeing their faces during the trip was worth it. They don't have white sand and warm water where they are from.

• Like 2

I've seen a lot of stupidness on the water from other people. I'm certain that alcohol was a factor in most of it. I frequently have a boat full of other people's kids. I'd think you'd appreciate that I'm sober while we're on the water.... I know that my kids' friends' parents do.

Rules are just a way to set mutual expectations so everyone has fun. Even if you don't write them down, you have them.

• Like 2

I don't want to give the impression I'm some boat nazi giving a speech and printing "rules" for them to all to memorize. Many of these are just normal operational practices for me...the only hard and fast rules are life jackets and overall safety. If everyone respects with the other stuff then the owner has fun too.

With the exception of an accident, nothing ruins my boating fun more quickly than an owner left holding the bag with a dirty, abused/damaged boat with a lot more trash and a lot less fuel than when you started the day. If the owner isn't having fun, then eventually there will be no boat...

I don't drink, never have and I never even thought to ban alcohol on my boat, but this is my first boat so maybe it will all make sense when I get on the water with a big crew?

That certainly isn't a rule on my boat! :cheers:

But like Shawndoggy, I definitely don't imbibe when children are on board and try to set a good example. When it is just the adults it's practically a floating bar & grill when we're not towing...it's all about the fun.

I can't imagine some of these rules being mentioned. No sunflower seeds, no crackers, no bottles, no alcohol, no fishing, no tubing, no horseplay, no wet people in a boat????? :rofl: Dude...... add no music, no wakeboarding and no surfing and I would literally have no use for my boat.

My only rules are;

No shoes on the boat

DO NOT be late on a consistent basis

If you're a regular, chip in what you can for gas. If that's 1 dollar on a given day, that's totally cool. I get it.

• Like 1

I put this in only for the reason, we typically have kids with us. I don't believe alcohol and operating a vehicle (car,boat,atv, etc) go together. Now with that said, I also believe rules are more like guidelines, if it is just me and my wife on an evening cruise, umm yeah likely will find a bottle of wine, etc.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

For me, my rule on alcohol is no open container in the boat. It's a combination of safety, good example for kids, and no one wants a BUI... Drink all you want on the beach, I do however reserve the right to refuse to put you in the water behind my boat though. For me personally, I very seldom have any alcohol while on the lake for a day. Between driving the boat (with guests) and pulling it home, the risk just isn't worth it.