Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat rules

isellacuras

I've made the following rule as well:

After putting board on, no jumping into the water or sliding/grinding into it.

Sliding/grinding is self explanatory. I used to allow people to jump in but I've seen some people short it (still have a small chunk out of my gel from his boards fins that I have to fill in due to that.. i'll get to it someday...). In addition to people shorting it and messing up my swim platform I have also seen people (typically noobs) jump into the water and not short it but then lose their balance and fall back towards the boat and almost smack their head on the platform. Since then the answer has been sit on your butt and slide into the water. It's awkward for most people and takes some coordination but after they do it a few times it's second nature for them.

I really wish the swim platform could take more of a beating. I personally dont see the need for it to be gel'd. I would prefer some type of material or coating that you could really beat the snot out of and it would never scratch / dent / chip. It's not worth it to me to have a half inch strip of color that matches my boat on my swim platform :D

Teak is great.

I only have one rule.

No tops allowed.

That explains the big guy wearing the sweater on your boat all the time. :Tease3:

:rockon:

Teak is great.

When it's got bedliner & Gator Grip on it. :salute:

I do see a pretty common rule is no shoes in boat. I think that is fair. Is stepping barefooted onto the seats to get in and out of boat ok? I don't see a way around that. And I don't think I want to inspect everyone's feet to be clean first. I did plan on having the rule of no walking across to and from swim platform. I am thinking sitting and turning on rear to get across is best way. Is that a rule for most of ya or is walking across ok? As you can tell I am a very NEWBIE! I haven't owned a boat since 1995 and that was an I/O.

This is a constant battle that we all deal with. And the seats in the rear corners pay the price. Many times they are the first to wear out. We all deal with it in a different way. I just throw a towel over the seat & let it be...... which I think is better than me harping on everyone or posting rules on the boat about it.

I also have Gator Grip step pads on the gunnels of the boat to help "encourage" people to step in there. To me it looks like an obvious & non-skid step for anyone, shoes or not, to step into the boat. From there I usually just step to the floor, but I'm probably a bit taller guy than the average boater or crew member too. You can see the steps on each side here, which match the swimstep & bow too.

CorrectCraft has an interesting way to deal with it. They have a seat cushion with non-skid on the bottom. So when people are stepping in to the boat, you flip the seat over & it is a tougher & maybe more secure step into the boat. I've thought about doing this on my own boat but have yet to pull the trigger on it.

Meanwhile, my boat is an 05 with about 600 hrs on it, and I've only found a couple of seams that are starting to pull apart. Like I said, it's a constant battle to keep in descent shape.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

About the only rule I have is dry off on the platform before getting back in the boat.

That's funny, I'm the exact opposite. I want the rider off the platform as soon as possible, so that the next rider can get ready. The way it usually plays out for me, the rider on the platform is standing there out of breath, unbuckling and talking, and the next rider is facing him with one foot on the rear seat, board under his arm waiting for him to get out of the way. The sooner the first rider gets himself planted somewhere, the sooner the second rider is going to get to ride. And yes, everything is wet then, but I guess I expect that anyway.

I don't have many cosmetic rules as my boat is an '87.

1. Mainly for the kids... if you want to tube, you gotta ski or board first.

2. For the adults... don't break two laws at one time.

3. For anyone going with me on the boat that day... ask me if I put the plug in.

isellacuras- you should add #3 to your list.

you guys are starting to make me look like less of a Nazi, so keep em coming!

has anyone ever seen the sunscreen with glitter in it? that stuff should be on everyone's list. My swim platform had a glittery sheen for two seasons...!

you guys are starting to make me look like less of a Nazi, so keep em coming!

has anyone ever seen the sunscreen with glitter in it? that stuff should be on everyone's list. My swim platform had a glittery sheen for two seasons...!

Did Satan create such a devil product? I now have a new rule no glitter on the boat.

MalibuNation

Some what related. When giving instructions to a newbie only one person is allowed to give them instead of everyone in the boat shouting do this ... don't do this.

A dry boat is a happy boat!!!

But if you don't mix water with all of the crumbs from the kids' sloppy eating, how will your carpet ever get that matted down patina like mine?

That explains the big guy wearing the sweater on your boat all the time. :Tease3:

Actually that probably explains why there is only 3-4 GUYS out with me all the time. :lol:

I tried to get the Mrs. to Follow the rules, She said she would when I upgraded her assets....not until then and not around the kids. :cry:

Edited by Bobby Bright
  • Like 1

There are safety rules that I will let be known as necessary, but I am so glad I have an older boat with a few beauty marks already so I can enjoy my time on the water.

Boat gets wet (you tell my dog to dry off on the platform--see where it gets you), boat gets dirty, smiles are had. Get home and boat gets cleaned, whether it's the same day or not. It will never be in worse shape during the time I own it than it was when I bought it. It's many, many times better already and still improving.

• Like 3

I ask that guests do not bring coolers. It can get crowded quick. Instead I ask them to bring 1 (one!) backpack with whatever essentials they can't live without; I have plenty of towels, sunscreen, tanning lotion and many other necessary toiletries.

I ask that they give me their request for food and drink so it is properly packed and organized in the onboard coolers. This prevents disorganization and overall cooler mayhem (think soggy, squished sandwiches and "missing" drinks.)

Aside from many of the rules listed above I've instituted recently is that any guests must bring a hoodie and/or sweatpants. The "I'm cold" complaints can ruin a perfect evening for all...

Seeing some of these rules sure makes me glad I have my own boat, I'd be jumping off your boat before you even got out of the marina and swimming back with my case of beer and bag of chips. How do some of you guys have any fun. You may as well be at work.

I have fun when people OBEY my rules. ;)

• Like 2

So many rules, is one reason why I like having an older boat with a low pyt, not worried about so much about getting things wet, or accidents. I do forbid kool aid & other crap that will stain carpet though. Everytime we talk about getting a newer boat that is one thing that always come up because she & I both know I wouldn't be fun with all the rules I would implement with something new.

I have fun when people OBEY my rules. ;)

Last time I used the word obey was when I tried to get the minister to put it back into my wife's vows when I got married. That worked about as well as some of these boat rules.

• Like 2

Seeing some of these rules sure makes me glad I have my own boat, I'd be jumping off your boat before you even got out of the marina and swimming back with my case of beer and bag of chips. How do some of you guys have any fun. You may as well be at work.

Haters gonna hate is more of a natural law than a rule, so not sure whether it really needs to be stated?

Never understood the dry boat thing. I mean, how dry do you make them get on the platform? Like bone dry? What about kids who want to jump off the front of the boat, swim around, and climb into the boat from the platform then do it all again? They have to completely dry off on every circuit?

Do your lady guests feel a little creepy while they are standing on the platform towel drying every drop off them while everyone watches? In my boat, they come out of the water, wrap a towel around themselves, and go have a seat.

Do you guys have a stroke if you are out boating and, Heaven forbid, it starts to rain? What do you do....send everyone overboard with life jackets on and install your Evolution cover till the rain passes?

The dry boat thing started back when I was a kid. My parents had a place at the lake, the boat sat covered on a lift. Boat covers were all canvas back then (the 70's) and didn't breathe. If you put the boat away wet inside, mildew was your friend the next time you got down to the lake. Made things a lot easier to just kinda dry off before you got in the boat. No, not bone dry...just not dripping wet.

I also use a big Rubbermaid tote that's 'the wet bucket'. All the wet life jackets go in there...keeps things tidy in the boat, and keeps it dry.

As for the kids and the jumping - they jump off the back of the boat.

To each his / her own, but it's how I choose to take care of my stuff. I've never had anyone say a word about drying off a bit when they're in my boat.

Edited by edwin

The dry boat thing started back when I was a kid. My parents had a place at the lake, the boat sat covered on a lift. Boat covers were all canvas back then (the 70's) and didn't breathe. If you put the boat away wet inside, mildew was your friend the next time you got down to the lake. Made things a lot easier to just kinda dry off before you got in the boat. No, not bone dry...just not dripping wet.

I also use a big Rubbermaid tote that's 'the wet bucket'. All the wet life jackets go in there...keeps things tidy in the boat, and keeps it dry.

As for the kids and the jumping - they jump off the back of the boat.

To each his / her own, but it's how I choose to take care of my stuff. I've never had anyone say a word about drying off a bit when they're in my boat.

I like the Rubbermaid tote idea for all the wet stuff!! I hate putting the boat away wet. Even on a covered hoist with a boat cover, putting the boat away wet just bothers me. It's inevitable that it gets whet when skiing, and when the weather is good, I'll leave the cover off the boat to dry it out. Some of the guys I ski with here on the lake are not so meticulous, but I've even gone so far as to wet vac water out of the boat. The behavior is a little anal but in the same respect, it keeps the boat pretty clean.

To each his / her own, but it's how I choose to take care of my stuff.

Indeed.

With our climate around here (Central Florida), and the fact that I never used my cover because the boat was kept in an indoor storage area when not in use, I did not have a mold/mildew issue like others in different parts of the country may have.

In fact, just about every outing I would stop the boat and tell every kid with us to jump in the lake, just to get the vinyl wetted down when they climbed back in because it was too hot and starting to burn my butt if I sat on it.