Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat rules

isellacuras

I am also fairly lax. My rules are simple ...

1. No Alcohol. I am more than happy to have a beverage just not while on the water.

2. ALL beverages have lids...water, Gatorade, etc

3. No shoes...take them off at the dock.

4. Have fun.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

The spray sunscreen rule is more of a overall rule. That stuff gets everywhere and nobody likes breathing it. Must have gotten fogged a dozen times at the beach yesterday

So I'll be a little conscientious about where I'm spraying it & which way the wind is blowing. But I'm still using it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My extensive rule list is more of a guideline and tend to get bent or broken pretty regularly. It all boils down to, I don't want anyone getting hurt, ruining my stuff or negatively affecting others around us. It's not like I bust out the rule sheet (I don't even have one) on each visit. If you use common sense, I have a good time. If I have to keep harping on the rules, I get stressed and it's not a good time for me.

ahopkins22LSV

I boat with the same people almost every weekend so I don't have very many specifics other then, don't be an idiot. If you break something you are responsible, and if you spill something you better be able to clean it up. Basically your life is in your own hands ;)

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

I've already been thoroughly skewered on here for posting these for review back in 2010. We've relaxed on a few of them (notably #7... I'm happy to take your set), and I know #2 is a flashpoint for many, but you asked for 'em:

1. must bring good attitude and have fun!

2. no alcohol

3. no messy food (chocolate, cheetos, doritos, fruit punch... you get the idea)

4. no shoes

5. kids have to wear life vests -- it's the law (we have a few for 50lb+ kids... only one vest for kids under 50lbs, so bring your own if you have one)

6. no roughhousing in the boat

7. must get in the water and try something (surf, ski, wakeboard, etc) -- pregnant ladies and small children excluded -- tubing doesn't count!

8. no whining

9. be prepared to jump in the lake to pee (or hold it... there generally aren't any bathrooms)

10. towing the tube comes last (otherwise the kids won't want to do anything else... plus it ruins the smooth water)

11. once you are in the boat no going back to shore (so if you forgot something too bad! And seeing as all you brought are lunch and flip flops, what could you have forgotten anyway?)

12. pack light -- there isn't a lot of room in the boat and you really aren't going to need much more than lunch and a towel (and maybe a vest).

13. We may holler some directions at you while we are underway. It's much smoother if everyone is helping out, but we realize you might not know what to do (hence the hollerin'). So be ready to learn a few new tricks!

14. Don't worry about hogging a turn... if you are in the water with the handle in your hand, stay there till you want to get back in the boat. We're stoked when people are having a good time.

Stuff you should bring

lunch

water/drinks

sunscreen

chapstick

towels (but we have lots)

sunglasses

hats

camera (but remember it might get wet)

flip flops (so you can take them off when getting in the boat)

ziplock bag to prevent stuff from getting wet

Stuff you shouldn't bring

purse

cooler (we have one in the boat if you need to keep something cold)

toys

electronic devices (no cell service on the water anyway)

stuff you don't want to get wet

stuff that you will mind holding on your lap all day (there really isn't much storage room at all, beyond room for your lunch and your towel)

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Shawn, I love #14. I know so many people that always get stop when they are clearly having a great time. If I offer to let you take a set or I am teaching/helping go as long as you can we love it!

Mine are pretty basic: no shoes on in the boat; no feet on the fiberglass (!); if you don't know how to get in the water with gear without banging into the transom, then sit down or put your gear on in the water; cans, not bottles; cap the sunscreen after use; everyone sitting while underway; approach people in the water from driver's side; get off your bum and coil the rope after somebody's dropped/fallen!

Cracker/chip crumbs? We have a lab retriever that rides along - and sheds like nobody's business - so crumbs are the least of my worries. Most of our wetsuits and vests grow a thin pelt during the course of a day on the water.... :biggrin:

Shawn, I love #14. I know so many people that always get stop when they are clearly having a great time. If I offer to let you take a set or I am teaching/helping go as long as you can we love it!

Ha. I have an interesting rule on this one: for ages 0-13 you get 3 pulls in a row, ages 14-25, 4 pulls in a row 26-50 5 pull in a row, over 50 years old - stay in the water as long as you can try. My logic behind this is that the younger the rider the more capable they are of riding for extended periods. (I have literally pulled my nephew on a knee board for 40 solid minutes.. sorry guys it just gets boring!!!) My way ensures that everyone will have a turn before A) the weather turns B) lunch time C) I run out of gas. Of course I'm the only one over 50 so it works well for me!! :)

Ha. I have an interesting rule on this one: for ages 0-13 you get 3 pulls in a row, ages 14-25, 4 pulls in a row 26-50 5 pull in a row, over 50 years old - stay in the water as long as you can try. My logic behind this is that the younger the rider the more capable they are of riding for extended periods. (I have literally pulled my nephew on a knee board for 40 solid minutes.. sorry guys it just gets boring!!!) My way ensures that everyone will have a turn before A) the weather turns B) lunch time C) I run out of gas. Of course I'm the only one over 50 so it works well for me!! :)

Funny....

I have a buddy who uses an egg timer to speed up his crew. Their each allowed 45 minutes. That includes gearing up & getting in the water. Apparently he was having problems with a few of them lolly gaggin as they got ready to get in the water..... talking, smoking, fartin around with their gear, whatever. At 45 minutes, the egg timer goes off & he cuts the throttle, your ride is done. This encouraged the guys to consolidate their gear & get ready to ride quicker.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Funny....

I have a buddy who uses an egg timer to speed up his crew. Their each allowed 45 minutes. That includes gearing up & getting in the water. Apparently he was having problems with a few of them lolly gaggin as they got ready to get in the water..... talking, smoking, fartin around with their gear, whatever. At 45 minutes, the egg timer goes off & he cuts the throttle, your ride is done. This encouraged the guys to consolidate their gear & get ready to ride quicker.

I guess it depends on the situation right? If its an early morning set before work we hustle and make our sets shorter. But, if its in the afternoon I don't care 99 times out of 100. As long as I get my set before dark. :)

• Like 1

I don't really have many rules...

1. I am the captain. Listen to what I say at all times.

2. Smoking is allowed but only if you are sitting on the platform and you back is to the boat.

3. No shoes

4. As stated before...no horseplay in the bow.

Those are really it. Everyone I invite to my boat is someone I want to share/build memories with. I trust that they will respect my stuff as I would respect theirs. If they don't Rule 1 takes care of any problems that would arise

My concerns are a little different. People on the boat are primarily 6am buddies or ski club beginners.

I'm happy to teach you how to drive. In fact I expect you to learn so that you can drag me some day.

I'll dock my boat.

If you're sitting in the observers seat then observe.

Never sit abaft the ski rope. Watch out for the damn ski rope.

Don't slide off the swim deck with the ski. It's not good for the ski.

Tell me if you want an easy pull or a hard pull.

I want a hard pull, do not drag me.

We do use it occasionally for the CA's music on the lake concerts in which case cheese, wine, beer, grapes are all fair game.

Everything is fixable in America.

I have a new 23 LSV on the way. I never ever thought I would own such an amazing boat. I want to keep it in great condition for a long time with as few repairs as possible. I am known to be very anal when it comes to my vehicles and I will have to make sure I don't go overboard with rules. I want everyone to have fun and I want to have a relaxing time and not be stressed the entire day on the water. I do see a pretty common rule is no shoes in boat. I think that is fair. Is stepping barefooted onto the seats to get in and out of boat ok? I don't see a way around that. And I don't think I want to inspect everyone's feet to be clean first. I did plan on having the rule of no walking across to and from swim platform. I am thinking sitting and turning on rear to get across is best way. Is that a rule for most of ya or is walking across ok? As you can tell I am a very NEWBIE! I haven't owned a boat since 1995 and that was an I/O.

no shoes (though I make an exception for my mother-in-law with parkinsons...she doesn't ride much anyway)

have fun

Laugh

be courteous

have fun

always wave to other boaters - it lets them know you see them and besides...happy boaters ALWAYS wave

smile

have fun

boat doesn't move past idle unless all beverages are either sealed (fingers work ok in bottles) or empty

have fun

sunscreen is encouraged (and required for my kids) if you don't put on sunscreen and get burned you will be teased

anything crumbly/red/orange/etc gets eaten on the swim deck only (my wife once brought out a bag of cherries for my kids to eat...she's a boat new-bie)

have fun

if people eat anything crumbly/red/orange/etc don't get upset, just clean it up as best you can and move on (see have fun rule)

have fun

driver gets to pick the tunes

Driver pays attention at all times...others can screw around but not driver

have fun

obey all boating laws and local lake ordinances - no exceptions

have fun

remember that if something does happen the most likely outcome is death...so take it seriously

and did i say - Have Fun?

• Like 1