Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Board Newbie on the cheap

CoaXiL

Hey folks,

Looking for any suggestions, input on a new wakeboard

The scoup:

New to wakeboarding, only have done it a handful of times (no air time yet), but like to think I will progress fairly quickly

Looking to buy 2013 or older - prefer new. Most likely shopping on EBay ... shipping to Canada.. need to buy as a package or I get killed on shipping

Size 210lbs 6'1

Boards in top running (based on price and basic homework) $400 or less give or take with shipping

2013 Ronix District 143 with Divide boots

Hyperlite 2014 State Wakeboard 140 Package with Remix Boots

Hyperlite 2013 Agent with 2014 Agent boots (this seems to be made for a company .. wiredsports

Hyperlite forefront with Focus Boots

Go for suggestions!

Cheers

Considering I started with a 2001 Liquid Force Rhythm 134 which is a complete amateur board, and still capable of alot of the things a professional board can do, I'd recommend getting a low profile board for the simplicity. I'm not saying you have too, just from my experience from starting on that board and working my way up, I almost prefer the feel of that board over new boards. One thing that board had was a single track fin which was fairly deep (1 3/4" fin) which would help keep you more stable and balanced. If you're not entirely sure, go to a board shop and demo a few boards to get the feel of them and how you respond. I'm sure they would help you with the details of each board and what each has for advantages or disadvantages. But nothing beats trying a board out before you buy, it's based alot on personal preference.

That board had the best graphics ever, pure thruth!

Board Details

And my kick a** bindings look awesome on that board

Bindings

Looks like the boards have changed a lot over the past 13 years,. That board looks like shaped plywood, with some choice graphics. You can probably ride any board after learning on that bad boy. To my knowledge we don't have any stores in town that I could actually try a board. Most of out boards are sold at boat dealerships, with limited inventory.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

If you ever on the coast, The Boardroom Shop has a clearance center that has lots of past year's new equipment on sale. That's where I picked up my first wakeboard and rope.

The other place to look is Evo for their outlet section... though that will involve shipping.

One tip, if you haven't tried it before, don't get anything shipped UPS from the US. Customs and brokerage fees will kill you.

Only suggestion I have is that I don't like learning on an asymmetrical board like the State. As you progress it will temporarily hinder you when you buy higher end gear. I went through this teaching snowboarding back in the early 90's when companies experimented with deeper heel side cuts.

I think you're in the right bracket, not only for price but for skill level. If you found a smoking deal on an older Ronix Ibex I would steer you away from that too as a relative beginner.

You could expand your search back another year or two as not much has changed in the last 5 for intermediate boards other than graphics and board names. For example the Hyperlite Tribute is at least 6 years old in it's current shape. I would also add the Slingshot Choice/Option combo to your list.

http://www.the-house.com/

http://www.evo.com/

Edit: fix links.

Edited by jk13

I ride a Ronix One Modello.

I have an old 2006 Obrien Player 143 with ION bindings you can have. You just pay for shipping. Its a 3 stage rocker with pretty good pop. I has some nicks and dings on it, but that's because it was used for six years.

2006 O'Brien Player 143
The Player series has proven to be one of our most popular shapes to date. The Player has an aggressive three-stage rocker and a fat midsection giving it an incredible explosion off the wake. With eight molded-in fins for incredible tracking, the Player can be ridden with a center fin for a rock solid feel or finless for a looser skatie feel. The Player delivers incredible edge hold with its cupped rails.
  • Three-stage rocker - Large flat spot gives the board huge pop off the wake
  • Eight molded-in fins - Excellent tracking and stability
  • Swallow tail - Allows the board to release easily off the wake
  • Cupped rails - Super strong edge hold
  • Grab rails - Gives the board strength, reduces weight and gives the rider something to grab

large_17_40_45_3018.jpgdetail_17_40_55_3037.jpg

Edited by pook77

Only suggestion I have is that I don't like learning on an asymmetrical board like the State. As you progress it will temporarily hinder you when you buy higher end gear. I went through this teaching snowboarding back in the early 90's when companies experimented with deeper heel side cuts.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was worried about the longer toeside channel. I will cross those of the list. I had only thought they may have been easier to control the landing. Cutting toeside hasn't been a problem yet.

Cheers

Edited by CoaXiL