Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Rebuild

Just curious if anyone knows the approx cost of having an indmar totally rebuilt? I don't need one, but was curious in the coming years if it is worth having it rebuilt when it approaches 1,000-1,500 hours since it will be hard to sell.

8k for s turn key replacement. 3-4k for s reman long block. DIY prices

A shop would charge more then 8k for a rebuild?? That's highway robbery. No can do DIY on this one. Was just curious since I am sinking so much money into this boat & basically committing to several more seasons by doing so.

@racer808: what is telling you your engine will need a rebuilt at 1000-1500 hours? If you estimate your average speed at around 25 mph, your boat will have traveled 37,500 nautical miles in 1500 hours (that would be a very high average as the reality is much lower, they spend most time at idle, particularly for a wakeboard/surf boat). I don't really think your biggest worry needing a rebuild is wear out, it is some part failure related issue (impeller causing overheat) or winter storage damage. There is an incorrect assumption and theory that 1000 hours is somehow similar to 100,000 miles in an automobile. Unfortunately, perception can become reality and in this case there does seem to be buyer fear at the 1000+ hour mark. Many school boats have well over 2000 hours on them of rough treatment and the engines run just fine.

• Like 2

@racer808: what is telling you your engine will need a rebuilt at 1000-1500 hours? If you estimate your average speed at around 25 mph, your boat will have traveled 37,500 nautical miles in 1500 hours (that would be a very high average as the reality is much lower, they spend most time at idle, particularly for a wakeboard/surf boat). I don't really think your biggest worry needing a rebuild is wear out, it is some part failure related issue (impeller causing overheat) or winter storage damage. There is an incorrect assumption and theory that 1000 hours is somehow similar to 100,000 miles in an automobile. Unfortunately, perception can become reality and in this case there does seem to be buyer fear at the 1000+ hour mark. Many school boats have well over 2000 hours on them of rough treatment and the engines run just fine.

Agreed, I was just looking forward, mostly curious. I know potential buyers are scared of high hours yet they want to find V drives for 20k that look brand new.

Just curious if anyone knows the approx cost of having an indmar totally rebuilt? I don't need one, but was curious in the coming years if it is worth having it rebuilt when it approaches 1,000-1,500 hours since it will be hard to sell.

We sold a 2000 vlx with approx. 1500 hours a couple years back with no issue. Actually, the first guy who drove it bought it. The thing ran like a champ, much better than our '08 with HH (2 blown motors: orig. blown at 500 hours due to snapped crank, rebuilt has piston issues after 80 hrs). And I believe Indmar charges $5k plus shipping of $1k, and $3k to take in and out. All said and done $10k is about what we have approximated.

Edited to add: Orig. motor was covered under warranty and rebuild was done by Indmar.

Edited by norcal_rdr

A shop would charge more then 8k for a rebuild?? That's highway robbery. No can do DIY on this one. Was just curious since I am sinking so much money into this boat & basically committing to several more seasons by doing so.

8k is a brand new indmar turnkey motor

cars can coast along not putting much load on the motor, boats are uphill all the way. I still feel that you should have no problem putting 2000hrs or more before the motor needs a rebuild, as long as its maintained properly.

• Like 1

unless your trying to build an engine right now you have no idea. while trying to stay on budget with Michigan boarder's build, we are still trying to use quality name brand American parts. if you really think that engine is pricey you are sadly mistaken if in fact they used quality parts.

remember while the engine in your boat does not rev the rpm's of a race engine, it is under a load all the time its in gear. race engines run a 1/4 mile at a time and then get to hang their tongue out for a bit before the next round. oval track cars make laps and are purpose built for x amount of laps, then teams drop in a new mill. you won't get that option with your boat and building it with less than quality parts the first time only means you will be spending more down time and money.

• Like 1

An educated buyer wouldn't be too concerned. In fact my experience has been that people these days are so paranoid they'd be concerned that the engine has been replaced. They would ask questions like who did the work? Who installed it? Is the warranty transferable? Either way there would be some concern on their part.

The biggest factor is maintenance! If the buyer can tell that the boat was loved and maintained that the key IMHO.

Oh, and btw if I didn't have the tools and knowledge to build it myself I would have a GM marine long block installed. Piece of mind. As SGT referred to quality parts are important and you won't have to worry about the qualifications of the builder.

Oh, and btw if I didn't have the tools and knowledge to build it myself I would have a GM marine long block installed. Piece of mind. As SGT referred to quality parts are important and you won't have to worry about the qualifications of the builder.

Curious as to why you would go with the GM marine long block? I have a feeling we are moving on to engine #3 since it is looking very likely Indmar is going to m-f-ck us once again. Looking at my options for replacement of a HH 383.

Indmar just marinizes the engine, they don't build the long blocks. Indmar buys the long blocks from GM.

I am fully aware they are chevy motors but in your previous post you mentioned GM Marine would give piece of mind. Is that because you would build/install yourself or because it would be new rather than a rebuild or some other reason?

Gotcha. For clarification I would rather drop in a GM crate engine then have joe's automotive down the street build the engine for you. Or even joes marine for that matter. That's where the piece of mind comment comes from. Nothing like pulling an engine right back out after you just installed it. No one wants that. So it's just safer to go the crate engine route.

Now were it me, I'd rebuild it myself but I am pretty experienced and know my way around engines pretty well.

• Like 2

Nothing like pulling an engine right back out after you just installed it. No one wants that. So it's just safer to go the crate engine route.

Now were it me, I'd rebuild it myself but I am pretty experienced and know my way around engines pretty well.

Could not have said it better myself. But I am the idiot who has learned it the hardway. Turns out, not even Indmar can not give you solid rebuild :Tease3:

I would love to your type of experience. Could have saved myself a lot of time and money at this point. Thanks for your feedback!

Gotcha. For clarification I would rather drop in a GM crate engine then have joe's automotive down the street build the engine for you. Or even joes marine for that matter. That's where the piece of mind comment comes from. Nothing like pulling an engine right back out after you just installed it. No one wants that. So it's just safer to go the crate engine route.

you are kidding yourself if you think the gm crate engines get the extra time taken to check everything the way it should be. blue printing a build is very time consuming as the pics I have posted in our olds build show. gm does not have that kind of time and i'm sure they don't supply a comprehensive build sheet. you also have no idea who actually had their hands on the engine you purchase. I hope to have Michigan Boarders stuff back this week from the machine shop to start the short block. i'll post more pics of his going together. until then i'll just consider myself joe's automotive down the street.... :lol: Edited by sgt1970-442

I would go with the crate engine every time over a Joe's auto from down the street. At least a GM facility has some kind of processes in place to ensure repeatability vs the good ole boy down the street. Now if you know someone like Sgt1970-442, different story. Problem is, for the average Joe, how are they going to know who is good and who is a hack??

• Like 2

I would go with the crate engine every time over a Joe's auto from down the street. At least a GM facility has some kind of processes in place to ensure repeatability vs the good ole boy down the street. Now if you know someone like Sgt1970-442, different story. Problem is, for the average Joe, how are they going to know who is good and who is a hack??

yes it is tuff to know who to trust. I also find that if you do your research and find that small shop that has great feedback and others you know have used with great results, then those are the places I want to keep around. if we don't use the little quality shops, someday we will only have the big names to buy from and what do you think will happen to prices. case and point, Michigan boarder only knew me through pm's and seeing my posts on the board. he is 3 1/2 hours from my place and really knew nothing about me. we talked about what he wanted and what his budget was. i have kept him in the loop through out this process and tried to provide information and pictures of how we do things in the oldsmobile build i have going right now. you won't get these kind of pictures or the step by step process from buying a gm crate motor. i'm not saying that shouldn't consider the gm crate engine, all i'm saying is the little guy won't be there if you don't patronize his business. again do your homework and research dealing with the little shop,,, there are a lot of hacks out there also.

by the way thanks, i'm just a concrete business owner that had to start out doing his own work many years ago because i couldn't afford to pay someone else. just kind of been that way ever since.

Edited by sgt1970-442

I was "this close" to going with a crate engine (I detonated a piston last summer from a overheat/head gasket issue). I live & boat in West Michigan, right off Lake Michigan, & tons of local lakes, boats are everywhere, but to find a mechanic was nearly impossible. The only connection I was able to make was thru a go-fast boat guy who did very high end stuff, and it turned out I wasn't worth his time. Posting questions on this website gave me far more guidance. Lucky for me Sgt happened to be reading some of it, and off we went. With a lot of trust, I pulled the engine and brought it over to his buddy's place, but even then half of me was ready to put it back on the trailer if things didn't seem right. Which wasn't the case, turns out they are great guys and I am fortunate to have made the connection.

So that's how the average Joe does it, I am pretty much 100% average Joe (John in my case). Start with The Crew and go from there.