Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 23LSV Sunscape - BMC - Teak Swim Platform Refinishing

BMCmalibu13

Hey, Crew! I wanted to post my process of refinishing my ski deck. I will list my set-by-step process using Sunbrite Teak Cleaner, Brightener, and Oil.

Products and items needed: 4" electric hand sander, 10-15 clean rags, Sunbrite Teak Cleaner, Brightener, and Oil, 4"x4" sandpaper and 8.5"x11" sand paper (80 grit, 220grit, & 400grit), non abrasive brushes (I used automobile tire cleaning brushes), eye protection, gloves, and mask.

Process:

• Remove all brackets and hardware. Put all these parts in a container so you don't loose them. This also give you the opportunity to run to your local hardware store to replace stripped screws and or hinges. Which you can get all new hinges and hardware on www.westmarine.com.
  • Sand the ski deck with 80 grit. I used a power sander and for all the areas the sander could not get to, I did this by hand.
  • Sunbrite Cleaner: I followed the directions and applied the SunBrite Cleaner, and rinsed thoroughly.
  • Sunbrite Brightener: Immediately after cleaning we applied the Sunbrite Teak Brightener and it is key you do this step in 50 degree or warmer room or area. After we applied the brightener, you rinse thoroughly.
  • Let your ski deck dry completely. For us we waited 3 days.
  • Sand the ski deck with 220 grit sand paper and wipe down the dust. After that by hand I used 400 grit sand paper on the top and the grooves to make it extra smooooooth. Wipe the dust off when finish
  • Final step I applied the Sunbrite Oil for my finish. I have seen applications with Seal and Oil, my personal preference was to go with the oil. Keep in mind oil will require more maintenance during the season, but that is what I choose to as I did not want to have the some what slippery surface from the sealer.
Pictures: http://s344.photobucket.com/user/MichaelnCal78/slideshow/

Please feel free to post questions, comments, and or private message me for any details you want more info on.

Happy boating,

BMC

Edited by BMCmalibu13

Looks fantastic! Just be extra careful because it will be slick as snot once water gets on it. I stopped sanding mine at 80grit and people still bust their arse.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I will keep in mind the slipperyness of the deck on our first venture out!

MartinArcher, if you need help we can come help you do your deck in between surf sessions! I'm talking Karate Kid style "Sand the Floor!!!"

BMC

• Like 1

Looks fantastic! Just be extra careful because it will be slick as snot once water gets on it. I stopped sanding mine at 80grit and people still bust their arse.

Amen. I stepped on to a guy's nice new teak swimstep a few years ago, slipped & busted my a**, then fell down between the boat & the dock. It was not a pretty sight.

Better not get it wet or let it see the sunshine or it'll look like mine too.

Bill, Thanks for the heads up! As I plan on keeping up with the maintenance of the deck on a monthly or bi monthly plan, or when ever I take my yacht out of the water.

Much respect

BMC

Good looking teak man, I'm telling you though... Once you go with the sealer you'll never go back. I actually think my sealed platform is much less slippery than my Skier when I had a freshly oiled platform.

• Like 1
martinarcher

Good looking teak man, I'm telling you though... Once you go with the sealer you'll never go back. I actually think my sealed platform is much less slippery than my Skier when I had a freshly oiled platform.

Agreed. The oil looks beautiful but the Starbrite sealer looks as good, is less slippery and for me wiping it down once a year after the resto he just finished it the way to fly.

What's a ski deck? ;)

I was thinking the same thing - I figured it was a term for the upper half of the hull or the top of the ski locker until I started reading the thread.

Ok, thanks for the feed back and I just changed the title of the thread. All I wanted to do is share my process in the most accurate way, and your suggestions helped. Thanks again guys!

We need to start a Sunscape owners club. They seem to be a bit of a rare breed?

Sure. It would be very prestigious! Because, we roll in the LSV (Luxury Sport V). ;)

Although, I may be short lived. I'm trying real hard to get into a new or near new Wakesetter. :)