Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfgate kit?

FrancisAA

I went and measured gates on every boat at our local dealer. Seems all of them are 18" long and height varies between 10" on the smaller hulls and up to 14" on the larger hulls. They're all cut differently though and it seems to simply follow the contour of the hull, no other reason? As most of you know they have the platform cut in to accommodate the gate being tucked in further.

So my questions are , when making mine does it matter how the cut by hull is just follow the hull to make it look nice? Since my deck is not cut in like the new ones do I make the top flush with the deck or try to tuck it under? I just want to get it right before I cut and start poking holes in the boat. Doesn't seem to me there is a whole lot more then just get it close enough to how they make theirs. Doesn't seem the location and angle need to be precise, just enough to prevent the water from flowing around the hull? Is this a fair assessment?

I would think they did a lot of trial testing to get the best shape and fit... or didnt. Maybe consider making a manual one like i did, and you can attach different size gates to it to see what works best. With "everyone" (i think the Moomba flow is the only other one im aware of) coming out with their own, its kinda uncharted territory. The Flow is quite a bit different in shape, angle, and size than Malibu's. Im sure the manufactures have a better idea what works and doesnt, but if you have one like mine, again, you can trial different sizes and angles. Thats what im going to do this year, heading toward a more permanent installation.

I would think they did a lot of trial testing to get the best shape and fit... or didnt. Maybe consider making a manual one like i did, and you can attach different size gates to it to see what works best. With "everyone" (i think the Moomba flow is the only other one im aware of) coming out with their own, its kinda uncharted territory. The Flow is quite a bit different in shape, angle, and size than Malibu's. Im sure the manufactures have a better idea what works and doesnt, but if you have one like mine, again, you can trial different sizes and angles. Thats what im going to do this year, heading toward a more permanent installation.

I thought the same thing before I went & looked at 20 different gates. They are all different, I think the only common attributes are they are all pitched at the same angle & same length. Other than that the shapes all seem to be nothing more then cut to flow with the boat.

I made a gate like yours last year & it worked well except I was still only weighting one side so I am curious how it would do with weight on both sides. That sort of confirms my suspicions that the actual shape of the gate is not important.

I was still listing mine too. Im going to try it flat this year with more weight, didnt have enough last year. I see these gates delaying the water displaced by the side of the boat, but im wondering what happens when you delay the water that is pushed under the boat on the non surf side... Thats what Im going to try this year, adding a gate to the bottom on the non surf side. Has anyone tried this? Moombas flow seems to dig a little deeper down in the fully deployed position. Seems logical that if you delay the convergence on the non surf side water that wants to fill the hole horizontally, making the surf side displaced water have more force and "push" over farther to the non surf side, wouldnt it stand to reason that if you diverted the water that is traveling upward from the bottom of the boat, the water displaced from the bottom of the boat on the surf side would then have more force since it is unopposed by the other sides convergence of vertically moving water?... thats a mouth full. Like I keep thinking, surf gates and surf wake enhancing systems are in their infancy. Whoever comes up with the next big idea stands to make a lot of money.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...