Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MXZ Surfing? Can it be DIALED? What does it take?

dDubya

I just handed the keys and ignition code of my '12 LSV23 to a proud new owner. The boat is DIALED for surfing; the best wave on both sides I've been on. But its gone now. Looking for a replacement. I really dig the look of the MXZ and I've found a gorgeous new 2012. Surfing is priority for me. Does anyone have video of the wave and can provide the set-up? Is it possible to build an LSV type wave from these boats?

Dude, its just a matter of time and effort. We dialed our 12 MXZ22 after 3 weeks of trials. The wave rivals my buddys 23 LSV, even he admiited this. Im getting really sick of everyone trashing the MXZ, they just havent expended the effort getting it tuned.

• Like 2

I've been getting that question a lot. Truth is, I bought my 2012 LSV23 new at such a good price that I was able to sell it a year later with 151 hours for what I paid. I figure that if I had kept it another year and put another 150+ miles on it, I would've lost...also just want another project.

Sounds like you're having a hard time deciding on what to get. Whatever it is, I wanna ride behind it and get a few more Wakesurfing tips!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody wants to hear my opinion on this matter, so I'm gonna flip the script.

Ya bro, the MXZ surfs great ! Can't wait to see pics , make sure you post some up! Pics or it didn't happen!

Congrats on the boat sale by the way.

My MXZ surfs great without surfgate.....surfgate really kills me to be honest. We all surf goofy footed, so surf gate wouldn't matter one bit to us. I get why people like it, but for years people were surfing just fine without it.

I surfed a 22 MXZ with the fix on the gates and I felt it had potential. It wasn't completely dialed because it was demo. Also the "fix" wasn't put on correctly. I had some spray hitting the beginning of the wave, but it did not make the wave that washy. The standard wave looked much cleaner. It's a beautiful boat.

My MXZ surfs great without surfgate.....surfgate really kills me to be honest. We all surf goofy footed, so surf gate wouldn't matter one bit to us. I get why people like it, but for years people were surfing just fine without it.

UofM- recommed you post up a few pics like MalibuDude did or your comments arent much qualified.

That is a surfgate wake the right? OP is going to run listed.

Correct it is.

I watched guys pull all sorts of inverts behind a sportster from the ski pylon, don't need ballast and wedge to wakeboard either. SG is great for those that have a crew the surf both sides, easier for a new driver, perhaps safer to drive and transitioning from port to starboard is cool. It's an option just as ballast to make things easier.

UofM- recommed you post up a few pics like MalibuDude did or your comments arent much qualified.

Nothing to qualify. I said the mxz surfs great. At least for us. Also I said I don't like surf gate for my personal boat because I don't need it because we only use one side. It's just facts for me really. I just think people put too much into the latest and greatest is all. I am sure the surf gate is great for a lot of people. It just isn't worth the money for me.

I understand personal preferences... The thread is about 22 MXZ as a surfboat... Few folks have demonstrated the 22mxz is a terrific surf boat as compared to the others in the lineup.... Like MalibuDude posted up that dialed in monster wave on that invite only event he went to.

Just trying to mAke the thread more substantial, subjective comments don't help a whole lot, since you own a 22 and have it dialed in, pics would say a 1000 words.

I understand personal preferences... The thread is about 22 MXZ as a surfboat... Few folks have demonstrated the 22mxz is a terrific surf boat as compared to the others in the lineup.... Like MalibuDude posted up that dialed in monster wave on that invite only event he went to.

Just trying to mAke the thread more substantial, subjective comments don't help a whole lot, since you own a 22 and have it dialed in, pics would say a 1000 words.

I would agree but you have to see the logical flaws in your statement. People without MXZs are calling them bad surfboats. Couple that with the fact that ironically no one else is required to post photos of their wake or wave to substantiate how good their's are, just MXZ owners? Ludicrious.

What makes the MXZ a bad surf boat? Is there really that much difference between the bottoms of the LSV and MXZ? I doubt it. The only issue ever vetted out was the surf gate spray which has been addressed.

Am I missing something?

I have a '13 24mxz and we tried last year to surf without a rope with no success. I comletely think this is our fault and not tuning in the boat! We have the PNP ballast in the rear and Malibu installed the '14 surfgate "fix" for free over the winter! I really liked the wave that was produced but just could not ride the wave - again i think this is my fault and i have not dialed in the boat and the ballast! As this is our first BU i really dont have anyting to compare it to, but I am certainly hopeful that we can dial it in and surf this year!!! Oh and I will send pics! :)

c

Pretty sure the OP referenced a 2012 MXZ... doesnt that mean he's asking about the surf potential of a LISTED mxz. Why are there pics, discussion, debate, etc. revolving around Surf Gate MXZ? Does the OP really care about a demo that happened last year on a non-dialed surf gate mxz that may or may not have had the spray gate fix applied properly and posted by a guy who knows zero about a listed wave of any kind? Lmfao!!

And yes, I do want to know what Brandon has to say on the topic, and so should the OP. Don't worry, bud... he hasn't purchased said MXZ yet so you can let 'er rip! You might be the MOST qualified to respond even if speculating.

I'm actually curious... can the MXZ produce a clean, long, listed wave? I don't see why not. Experts weigh in (not you, afun).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I would agree but you have to see the logical flaws in your statement. People without MXZs are calling them bad surfboats. Couple that with the fact that ironically no one else is required to post photos of their wake or wave to substantiate how good their's are, just MXZ owners? Ludicrious.

A reading comprehension class would do you well.

My statement was that his comments would be 100x more helpful with a few pics.

I know, completely Ludicrous. Insane. Flaws all over.

Am I missing something?

Displacement. One extra foot of hull roughly eight feet wide by about a foot deep displaces about 500 pounds of water. Displacing water while moving through it is what causes a wake. More displacement equals bigger wake from the same hull shape.

This is the best wave I was able to achieve out of my 20 MXZ after a whole summer of playing with setups. I think this is probably pretty close to the best you will get out of that boat. A 22 or 24 would be superior I presume when "dialed". This is with full stock ballast, 750s in the rear, wedge one click up and about 500-600 lbs of bow weight and three passengers. 2315 prop. This was also with a guy on the platform blocking the spray.

I think the MXZ is a good surf boat. Not a great one. The LSV is a great surf boat.

Malibu has a pretty simple choice for surfers/wakeboarders here. If surfing is the absolute most important trait in your boat purchase, get an LSV. If an amazing wakeboard wake is your thing, get the MXZ. The LSV wakeboards well but not great. The MXZ surfs well but not great. Simple....

1380509079393_zps97882fe5.jpg