Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Go Pro Suction Cup Mounting on rear transom?

Rmack

Just bought my new Go Pro with Life Jacket and Suction cup. Downloaded the Go Pro App for my phone. Very cool.

Any problems mounting this to the back of my boat with the Suction Cup?

If so, where would you mount it or are there better places to mount this?

Thanks Crew.

post-2645-0-10421200-1395845769_thumb.jp

By the way, I expect at least 14 pages out of this post. We need to squash Afun's Ninja post.

Edited by Rmack

I've never had an issue, but I also triple check it before going anywhere. I note I have the large suction cup that came with the "surf edition". If a rope hits it it could pull it off, but again, mine has always stayed put. You

Edited by racer808

I've never had an issue, but I also triple check it before going anywhere. I note I have the large suction cup that came with the "surf edition". If a rope hits it it could pull it off, but again, mine has always stayed put. You

I do have the Large Suction Cup. I tested it on my doorwall glass and the mount is solid.

We've tested ours on the upper part of the transom, key thing you want is some sort of leash to keep it from falling in if it gets knocked off

CJay,

Did you use the leash that came with the Go Pro? I believe it's just a 3m plate with a string? Or did you make your own?

Any pictures?

Edited by Rmack

Snowboard leash works well. Even if it does float, if it hits the water underway you may not find it, odds are with the suction cup it will sink or float quite a few feet down

test the floatation before relying on it. We've had one fall off before, and it sank. Boo.

Your Go Pro Sank with the floatation? Was it the same one as the picture I posted above? That think seams very buoyant. I will definitely do some bath tub testing tonight.

This guy has tons a great go pro videos and tips. Here is his testing of floats

That was a great video CJay.

My Go Pro would have sank. I have the Suction Cup mount in the last test

+1 for the leash. I don't think they float with life jacket and suction cup mount. Might want to test.

I can confirm that they do no float this way. We always tied a leash to it.

We've had good luck with mounting on the transom...while always trying to mount the suction cup on as flat a surface as possible. I also attached several floaty key chain floats to the suction hardware (bright colors). Adding these floats keeps the entire rig floating high in the water. Lanyard is also a great idea!

Edited by tideride

Just bought my new Go Pro with Life Jacket and Suction cup. Downloaded the Go Pro App for my phone. Very cool.

Any problems mounting this to the back of my boat with the Suction Cup?

If so, where would you mount it or are there better places to mount this?

Thanks Crew.

attachicon.gif20140321_215226.jpg

By the way, I expect at least 14 pages out of this post. We need to squash Afun's Ninja post.

What NO GROUP BUY!!!....Haaaa got it, the proceeds from the towel Group buy....LOL....

:Tease3:

What NO GROUP BUY!!!....Haaaa got it, the proceeds from the towel Group buy....LOL....

:Tease3:

Dare,

I wish. Now my sister may be making some money, but I whore myself out for free towels. 10 last season, 8 this season. Don't know what I'll do with 18 towels, but I'll post pics of them all over my boat.

• Like 1

-1 go pro

+1 sony as100

Why? Better lens and has stabilization!

There I'm doing my part to generate at least 16 pages!

Oh btw, I've used a suction cup but always use a leash. I've often connected the leash to ghe mount not the camera. Never had a problem even if mount let go. Camera has always been screwed tightly to mount and should never separate.