Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Lubrication on a Listed Boat

I have a 2011 23LSV and list the boat for a surf wave.

What implications does this have on proper lubrication of the engine cylinders?

Oil pressure is normal all the time but does this tell the whole story.

How much weight do you run? Is your rub rail under water? What are your RPM's at surf speed? All of these questions determine the degree of angle and stress you are subjecting the engine to. Even at high angles, if you keep the level topped off, you should be good.

The best 2 things you can do for engine longevity when surfing with heavy weights is to make sure you have the proper size prop in relation to the amount of ballast that you run and increase you oil change frequency. Proper pitch on prop will ensure that you are not lugging the engine and changing the oil more often will account for the additional blow by and heat that the lubrication system will have to manage under increased loads.

Indmar suggests that you should be able to achieve near max RPM with all the weight you run for ballast to ensure that you have the proper sized prop. I also believe that they suggest 30hr oil changes, but not sure on that one.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39176-dont-kill-your-engine/?hl=enginenut

Edited by Tims

I'd start getting concerned win one person actually has this problem.

To date....has anyone seen a boat with a seized engine or having oil starved issues from wake-surfing. I'm on a lot of forums and have never seen one single issue.

• Like 1

Indmar now has a surf specific version of the Gen1 SBC. It has a different oil pan and PCV system.

http://www.indmar.com/Engine/supra/Surf345.aspx

So what does that mean???? That Indmar has come up with a great sales ploy - that is about all that I can see

Like I said - show me the engine that has seized up from surfing????

Edited by Murphy8166

So what does that mean???? That Indmar has come up with a great sales ploy - that is about all that I can see

Like I said - show me the engine that has seized up from surfing????

How the heck should I know? Just pointing out that they have a specific engine now and it is the base engine for Supra. I cant see how it would hurt to have an extra couple of quarts of oil and better air/oil control if you are running your engine hard. I am not on a quest to show you a seized motor from surfing but if you are going to run your engine hard, keeping an eye on oil level and condition is probably a good idea, No??

• Like 2

Marine Power, (malibu's Ls3 source) has done the same thing. They have modified thier oil pan design to maintain oil pressure while the boat is listed.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Marine Power, (malibu's Ls3 source) has done the same thing. They have modified thier oil pan design to maintain oil pressure while the boat is listed.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Almost seems kinda pointless. Most of the boats with an MP LS3 will have SurfGate which elminiates the listed effect.

It's not an uncommon problem among the 4WD world when guys are doing a lot of hill climbing. Besides a bigger oil pan, they also like to run crank scrappers to get over the issue. I've never heard of the problem happening on boats but it sure can't hurt.

It's not an uncommon problem among the 4WD world when guys are doing a lot of hill climbing. Besides a bigger oil pan, they also like to run crank scrappers to get over the issue. I've never heard of the problem happening on boats but it sure can't hurt.

I've had jeeps stay running up side down and never blown an engine. If you have oil pressure, you are fine and even if you don't for a little while you are generally fine Edited by oldjeep

I've had jeeps stay running up side down and never blown an engine. If you have oil pressure, you are fine and even if you don't for a little while you are generally fine

Yea, I suspect once in a while for a few seconds or a minute isn't going to do long term damage. But if your doing it everyday for hours on end, I would think there is possibility for damage if the oil pump pickup tube wasn't down in the oil or was suckin air too often.

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000ADD_zps

We use to run this heavenly listed to the goofy side 21 xti

The 340 monsoon would go into limp home mode the cure was extra 1/2 Litre of oil.

The engines are smarter than we are

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey Oz, how about some pics of that bimini? Looks like a Titan I or II tower? And an above the tower bimini?

Good call on adding a bit of oil. That is exactly the scenario I could see happening on these boats. Surprises me that it doesn't happen a little more often..... especially as much weight as Afun is running. :Tease3:

As long as the oil pickup is in the oil, you are fine.

This is correct, the cylinder walls are oiled from oil that is thrown off the crankshaft.

Circle track cars that run on short tracks have the issue of the right cylinder head/valve cover filling up with oil because it won't drain (they are constantly turning left, at >1g). This is compensated for by adding an extra couple of quarts of oil because it will be stuck in the head. The cylinder walls aren't effected.

Bottom line is, if you got good pressure your ok.

Pressure could be a problem while surfing because of the oil sump location. GM put it in the rear so that as you are accelerating (in a car) the oil flows to the sump. In a v-drive the engine is installed backwards so the sump is in the front. The higher the front of the boat goes, less oil is in the sump. It's no so bad though because with a v-drive, the engine tilted toward the sump with the boat level.

• Like 1

Hey Oz, how about some pics of that bimini? Looks like a Titan I or II tower? And an above the tower bimini?

Good call on adding a bit of oil. That is exactly the scenario I could see happening on these boats. Surprises me that it doesn't happen a little more often..... especially as much weight as Afun is running. :Tease3:

Afun wont have a problem because his boat is level on the water, SG.

I've had jeeps stay running up side down and never blown an engine. If you have oil pressure, you are fine and even if you don't for a little while you are generally fine

Kind of depends on the circumstance of a little while, if the engine is running and stops picking up oil for a second it'd probably be fine. If you spend a long time filling up ballasts and over listing your boat and start it and all the pickup gets is air my guess is that motor would have a pretty short life expectancy after that, even if you caught it right away.

the other difference between an upside down jeep and a listed boat is that the boat is under maximum load while listed, while I doubt the jeep is (unless you are doing loops inside a giant full-pipe?).

• Like 2

All I can say is that I have all the weight in my boat that I care to and I haven't had a problem with OP ever. Works for me. I've never seen anyone post about it either.

All I can say is that I have all the weight in my boat that I care to and I haven't had a problem with OP ever. Works for me. I've never seen anyone post about it either.

How much weight do you run listed?

I don't know of specific failures, but there are plenty of queries about it online, and some failures that may or may not be related.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wake+surf+boat%2C+oil+pressure+loss&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=