Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transfer warranty on 2012 LSV

TYZLSV

I believe you need to go through a dealer. The dealer handles all of that for you. Really up to the dealer to set the price. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks. I know the Hull warranty is lifetime, motor/electronic I believe is 3 years. With 150hrs on boat would paying for the transfer be worth it??

That's a great boat. I've ridden behind it. He had it setup perfectly for surfing. I like the clean look without the graphics. Congrats on the purchase.

I wonder what Dan's gonna buy now??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought a 2012 LSV. Haven't called malibu yet.. Any info on costs? Warranty coverage time?

Thanks in advance.

If you transfer both boat and engine you usually spend about $1,000 to transfer the warranty. The warranty is a 3 year bow to stern from the original purchase date so you will have around a year left if it was first sold in 2012. My advice, if nothing is wrong with it keep the money and set aside for the just in case repair fund.

I believe you need to go through a dealer. The dealer handles all of that for you. Really up to the dealer to set the price.

You do need to go through a Malibu dealer to transfer the warranty. It is a fixed dollar amount for Indmar, fixed amount for Malibu and the dealer can charge what they want for the inspection required to transfer the warranty.

IMO, I'd look to see what the in-service date is on the boat. A 2012 could have been purchased as early as late summer 2011, meaning you would only have a few months of warranty left. Or it could be a leftover 2012 that didn't sell until 2013 and have 2 years left. This makes a big difference in whether it is worth it or not.

transfering a warrany is ridiculous, why would the manufacturer not put the warranty on the boat?? Should it not be on the boat, regardless of who owns it?

What a stupid system.

I agree totally. I will tell you why, although I think it is a rhetorical question.

1. Money. When he comes with what he thought was a warranty issue, they can deny him if he didn't do the payment for the transfer.

2. If a guy sinks the boat, (not covered under warranty), then some people would sell it to the next guy without disclosing it, and Malibu would be in a more difficult situation to prove why and how various problems occurred without doing a detailed inspection. This is different than cars, which rarely sustain serious water damage.

It might be worth it just to have the lifetime hull warranty even if the time remaining on the rest of the warranty is short. I realize that structural failures of the hull are extremely rare, but it would give some piece of mind. I guess it also depends on how long you plan on keeping the boat.

When I sold my 2011 it was about $1000 to transfer the warranty over to the new owner which included the inspection of the boat, there are two different warranties tied into it, one from Indmar and the other from Malibu. I believe it was $500 from Malibu, $200 from Indmar and a $300 inspection fee from the dealer. It was worked into the deal, imo, well worth the money for some peace of mind, even if you only get two years out of it.

Congrats on the new boat, any pics? :)

ahopkins22LSV

If you transfer both boat and engine you usually spend about $1,000 to transfer the warranty. The warranty is a 3 year bow to stern from the original purchase date so you will have around a year left if it was first sold in 2012. My advice, if nothing is wrong with it keep the money and set aside for the just in case repair fund.

You do need to go through a Malibu dealer to transfer the warranty. It is a fixed dollar amount for Indmar, fixed amount for Malibu and the dealer can charge what they want for the inspection required to transfer the warranty.

It is? I thought it was one year for bow to stern and 3 on the drivetrain?

That's a great boat. I've ridden behind it. He had it setup perfectly for surfing. I like the clean look without the graphics. Congrats on the purchase.

I wonder what Dan's gonna buy now??????

Thanks! He told me he is getting a new Supra..

Oh, and Welcome to the Crew!!!

Thank you! I'm happy to join the crew! I'm ready for the season to start..

When I sold my 2011 it was about $1000 to transfer the warranty over to the new owner which included the inspection of the boat, there are two different warranties tied into it, one from Indmar and the other from Malibu. I believe it was $500 from Malibu, $200 from Indmar and a $300 inspection fee from the dealer. It was worked into the deal, imo, well worth the money for some peace of mind, even if you only get two years out of it.

Thanks! This is great infomation, I will be calling the dealer today.. I will post pics soon

I just paid to have both warranties transferred on my 2012 23lsv. The Dealer needs to do a run through and report to Malibu and Indmar as far as I can tell. For me it was well worth it (boat only had 40hrs). That being said, the money I spent has already paid off. I had to have a new dash panel (the vinyl was pulling out from under the horn button) and a new rear center seat (where people step down off the walk through). I took the boat to the dealer and there was no question, they just took care of it. These boats have so much going on, I think the $600-$800? (I know it was two separate bills but forgot the exact amount) was well worth it. Thats my 2 cents.

^Spot on. I did this last year for personal peace of mind when I purchased a 2011 VLX. I'm sure the previous owner was meticulous but its still not a bad thing to have. Electronics these days can be finicky plus you get the hull warranty.

If Wakebrdr94 is right about the vinyl then I'm a happy man. My sundeck walkway is wearing on the sundeck vinyl which in my opinion warrants replacement.

... I'm ready for the season to start..

Me too! I just wish the lake would thaw...