Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wanting to work on my own Boat!

Wakesetter67

Here's a dumb question, I should probably be embarrassed; Any of you ever crawl into the lockers on your side to work with your feet hanging out only to get stuck & have to yell for help cause you couldn't get yourself out? Me either.............

Close! But I started giggling so hard that I thought I may wet myself before I could get out. Still makes me laugh. It would have been quite the sight for my wife to come home and find!

Only thing I will add is remove the engine cover & kneel on the swimstep...... makes it a LOT easier to get both hands down there & you can sorta see what your doing.

The engine cover comes off with 2 quick release clips in a matter of seconds.

• Like 1

I see a shootout coming. Who is going to video themselves changing an impeller with WD40 and pliers, post it on you tube, then you boys with the puller do the same. We'll know who's best after that.

• Like 1

Well beside supporting the marine community ( Bakes) A guy cant have too many tools, And I know once I install this successfully you could bet I will have a few friends asking me to change theirs, So for 48.00 I went ahead and purchased a puller, Now for the automotive glove to keep the hands from fiberglass slivers!!!

Well beside supporting the marine community ( Bakes) A guy cant have too many tools, And I know once I install this successfully you could bet I will have a few friends asking me to change theirs, So for 48.00 I went ahead and purchased a puller, Now for the automotive glove to keep the hands from fiberglass slivers!!!

All my boat friends ask to borrow mine too...lol

• Like 1

i spent about 15 minutes jacking around with mine the first time....Said screw it, waited a week for it to come in from bakes, couldn't be happier about the purchase :biggrin: Not saying it cant be done without it or no one has a cheaper way that works as good but i sure couldn't figure it out and didn't wanna spend any more time trying.

• Like 1

Let me know how the impeller puller works will ya? If it works good I'm going to order one. I have a 2004 VLX and it's a mother to pull out. It's made me so mad and cut me up so bad I've invented new cuss words.

no need to invent new cuss words.

just take a beer break when you've worn out all of your naughty words.

they will work swell again after they have had a short rest.

• Like 1

I agree. Not sure why anyone is getting in a storage compartment. I just lift the hatch, lay down and pull the bolts off. Squirt, bump, pull. I can get that done before you would ever get a puller lined up and installed.

I call BS big time one this. Take a video it should only take you a couple minutes to pull out the impeller, right? Now way no how you can do it that fast.

• Like 1

takes me about 10 minutes drinking a beer...that includes lining up the mirror...

edit: with a puller that is

Most of that 10 minutes is from trying to line your head up just right so you don't slip a sip of beer while laying on top of the motor! It would probably help my time if I just put down the beer to free up that hand.

• Like 3

Most of that 10 minutes is from trying to line your head up just right so you don't slip a sip of beer while laying on top of the motor! It would probably help my time if I just put down the beer to free up that hand.

Use a straw. :rofl:

Or take the 2 seconds to pull the engine cover. Your EFI will thank you.

I call BS big time one this. Take a video it should only take you a couple minutes to pull out the impeller, right? Now way no how you can do it that fast.

I need to swap mine out before this season. When I do I'll try to remember to video it.
  • Like 1

Vince, can you come change my impeller since you have the tool and all?

• Like 1

Here's a dumb question, I should probably be embarrassed; Any of you ever crawl into the lockers on your side to work with your feet hanging out only to get stuck & have to yell for help cause you couldn't get yourself out? Me either.............

Only place I felt like I might get stuck is the storage behind the observers seat. On the older boats the opening is smaller and raised because they put a cooler under the seat... Had my legs sticking out laying on my back and thought for a second 'wait... how'd I get in here like this' I didn't have to call for help though :tease1:

Only thing I will add is remove the engine cover & kneel on the swimstep...... makes it a LOT easier to get both hands down there & you can sorta see what your doing.

The engine cover comes off with 2 quick release clips in a matter of seconds.

I've seen you post this method a few times, I think I need a picture of this, because I've already had the engine cover off and looked down from there (didn't bother putting the platform on) but the exhaust really blocks you off from that angle for me. Maybe things are different on the newer boats but I just don't see how you could do it like this from looking at mine. Also if I could reach it this way I think I'd be more prone to dropping screws which I then could see but not reach, which is the opposite problem of the normal way :whistle:

Also Nitrous is in for the video without the puller, so who is going to post the video he is racing against?