Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wanting to work on my own Boat!

Wakesetter67

I have always in the past winterized and done a lot of the maintenance on my old 96 Sanger, Back then they were real simple, and easy to get to, Now that my warranty has expired I want to work on my 2010 VLX I'm going to replace Spark Plugs, and Impeller, Plugs are easy but I have never messed with this type crank driven impeller, Do I really need an impeller puller or could you just use some good old pliers to remove the old one, Any tricks of the trade, Looks fairly simple, but any advice would be appreciated,

• Like 1

VInce - in regards to the impellar. Just grab the vanes of the impellar with needle nose pliers. Put at set a 3 and 9 and shimy it out. Move to noon and 6 and shimy some more. One thing you dont want to do it pry against the brass housing and scratch it up.

• Like 2

I think it will be easier than you think...just have some bandaids and neosporin on hand, tweezers to remove any fiber glass you impale yourself on.

LOL Yes I'm sure of that!!

Spray it. Wait a while, about two beer is good. And then bump the motor over. The last two I changed popped right off after that. Get yourself a good set of mechanics glove and that will help with the fiberglass. It is pretty easy. Besides you can lay in the compartment comfortably!

Edited by Malibuzer
  • Like 2

For the impeller I use a needle nose vise grips but I typically grab onto the hub of the impeller. I find this works a little better than needle nose pliers. If it's really stuck grab it with a pair of needle nose vise grips and slide a screwdriver half way through the vise grips at the back of the jaws (by the end where they pivot, there is usually enough space to slide a med flat head screwdriver through) after you have clamped onto the impeller. Then brace the tip of the screwdriver on something you can pry on and pull / push on the handle. This will give you more leverage and usually gets toughest ones out. Let me know if that's not clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Spray it. Wait a while, about two beer is good. And then bump the motor over. The last two I changed popped right off after that. Get yourself a good set of mechanics glove and that will help with the fiberglass. It is pretty easy. Besides you can lay in the compartment comfortably!

This is where being 5.5 comes in handy!!

For the impeller I use a needle nose vise grips but I typically grab onto the hub of the impeller. I find this works a little better than needle nose pliers. If it's really stuck grab it with a pair of needle nose vise grips and slide a screwdriver half way through the vise grips at the back of the jaws (by the end where they pivot, there is usually enough space to slide a med flat head screwdriver through) after you have clamped onto the impeller. Then brace the tip of the screwdriver on something you can pry on and pull / push on the handle. This will give you more leverage and usually gets toughest ones out. Let me know if that's not clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had it replaced last year so hopefully it wont be to stuck!!

U can beat ur self up and tear the thing apart using all kinds of tools, while standing on your head and cursing. It is so easy and painless with the puller why not just buy it if your gonna be doing your own maintenance. I love being able to do it with 1 hand while using my other one to hold myself up. I'd say the $50 is worth it since your gonna be using it yearly. I'm sure anyone with a vdrive doesn't look forward to changing it, but ever since I got the puller no pain, no stress, no problems. And they come out undamaged so u can reuse.

• Like 3

U can beat ur self up and tear the thing apart using all kinds of tools, while standing on your head and cursing. It is so easy and painless with the puller why not just buy it if your gonna be doing your own maintenance. I love being able to do it with 1 hand while using my other one to hold myself up. I'd say the $50 is worth it since your gonna be using it yearly. I'm sure anyone with a vdrive doesn't look forward to changing it, but ever since I got the puller no pain, no stress, no problems. And they come out undamaged so u can reuse.

That sounds like a good Plan, I thinks Bakes sells them,

Impeller is easy.

- Remove housing cover (3 bolts)

- Spray a bit of WD40 in the housing

- Bump the motor over (don't start it, just enough to turn the impeller a bit)

- Grab a vane with the needle nose pliers and pull

I figured this out myself. Mine had been in there a while (who knows when the previous owner changed it, but it was damaged and not wanting to come out). I fought it with pliers without budging it. Quick WD40 and motor bump and it pulled out easily.

• Like 2

:plus1:

Even if it were always as simple [and, of course, it rarely is] as removing the cover on the raw water pump housing, spraying some WD-40, and then

bumping the engine over, it still saves time and effort using an impeller puller. Heck, in the time it would take me to pull myself up, step out of the

storage compartment, take two strides to get to the ignition switch, crank it briefly, then turn around and get back into position, lying on my side again

in the storage compartment, to insert the new impeller, I can guarantee you that, using my puller, I'd already, and pretty much effortlessly, have the

darn thing out anyway.

• Like 1

Let me know how the impeller puller works will ya? If it works good I'm going to order one. I have a 2004 VLX and it's a mother to pull out. It's made me so mad and cut me up so bad I've invented new cuss words.

• Like 1

I'm surprised so many have a hard time with this. I've never done before last season. Took cover off, a squirt or two of windex, bumped motor, came right out first pull with a needle nose.

I'm surprised so many have a hard time with this. I've never done before last season. Took cover off, a squirt or two of windex, bumped motor, came right out first pull with a needle nose.

I agree. Not sure why anyone is getting in a storage compartment. I just lift the hatch, lay down and pull the bolts off. Squirt, bump, pull. I can get that done before you would ever get a puller lined up and installed.

I agree. Not sure why anyone is getting in a storage compartment. I just lift the hatch, lay down and pull the bolts off. Squirt, bump, pull. I can get that done before you would ever get a puller lined up and installed.

This comment was just giving Vince a little jab about how tall he is! No need to actually crawl in there. Although I did do that when I installed the extra ballast lines. Flat on my back with my legs straight in the air. I was not sure I would be able to get out!

• Like 1