Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extreme trailer tires

Dodger40

So it is time to replace the tires on my 2007 extreme trailer. It currently has the original Carlise tires on it. My question is has anyone changed wheels on their trailer ? My current tire is a

235 60R 14. Carlisle is the only one who makes that size trailer tire. I was thinking of putting on light truck tires after reading about all the problems people have had, but they don't make one in my size. I can't raise my trailer either because my VLX barely fits in my garage. Right now the Carlisle tires seem like the only choice. Does anyone else have another suggestion?

Thanks for the info. I did see the previous post, but i was hoping for another option. Thank you Nitrous Bird. I will check into those tires. Do you know if you can get a warranty on them?

• Like 1

So Discount Tire recommended that I try these tires Hankook Radial RA08 Tire 185R14/8.

They are 8 ply, but skinnier than the ones currently on my boat. They are intended for a VW bus, and have a higher weight capacity than the ones one my boat . They might be considered light truck tires? Just curious what others think. I can get a warranty for $19 a tire plus the $95 per tire price. My stock Carlisle's cost around $135 a piece and the warranty is $30 a tire. I was thinking if I had a blowout it would be easier to find the Hancooks than Carlisles

So Discount Tire recommended that I try these tires Hankook Radial RA08 Tire 185R14/8.

They are 8 ply, but skinnier than the ones currently on my boat. They are intended for a VW bus, and have a higher weight capacity than the ones one my boat . They might be considered light truck tires? Just curious what others think. I can get a warranty for $19 a tire plus the $95 per tire price. My stock Carlisle's cost around $135 a piece and the warranty is $30 a tire. I was thinking if I had a blowout it would be easier to find the Hancooks than Carlisles

I've been running Hankook all terrains on my Avalanche the last 2 winters. No complaints so far. Their wearing well, good traction in snow & rain. Hopefully some of that transfers over to yours too. After 2 rotations they are a bit noisy but not any more than any other AT tire.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Too narrow. Unless your 235's bulge super excessively, these tires are going to look awful on your current rims. You can get the BFG's I mentioned in a 225 for around $122 at Discount Tire if I recall correctly.

Too narrow. Unless your 235's bulge super excessively, these tires are going to look awful on your current rims. You can get the BFG's I mentioned in a 225 for around $122 at Discount Tire if I recall correctly.

NB, what size 225/75/14, I have 215/75/14 now?

and which BFG tire?

thanks

Boz

Edited by Bozboat

NB, what size 225/75/14, I have 215/75/14 now?

and which BFG tire?

I never stated a 225/75/14. I stated a 225/60/14, which is a 24.6" diameter tire. It is this BFG Tire.

Your 215 is a 26.7" tire, so you don't want the size I linked above. If you want wider, a 225/70/14 would be your best bet, as it will be a 26.4" tire, so no clearance issues and similar in diameter. BFG, Cooper, and Hankook all have options in this size, all rated at 1653lb capacity.

Thank you to Nitrous Bird and TeamAllen,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to respond. I will call on both tires you suggested today.

I thought those hankooks were sort of sketchy too. There really isn't anything cheap on these boats, and I really never intended to cut corners. It would be frustrating to have a flat in the middle of nowhere without the ability to buy a new tire. That's why I am leaning towards another tire than what came on it.

...It would be frustrating to have a flat in the middle of nowhere without the ability to buy a new tire. That's why I am leaning towards another tire than what came on it.

. that is why I carry a spare. Just means I will need to buy 5 tires when I replace.
  • Like 1

Last summer my actuator stuck on my old boat and ate two of my tire in Biggs, Oregon. I was able to change one of the tires and limp on the other one to Chelan Wa. My tires were in stock and I got them replaced.

I was planning on mounting 2 of my old tires as spares, but those tires are getting pretty old. I was hoping to find something easier to find than those Carlisles. Every time I call a tire shop I'm told they are a special order, or are discontinued. Then I have to tell them they aren't and the guy on the phone says, "That is a weird size, I've never seen that one before."

Thank you again for all the help! I think I am closer to pulling the trigger.

Edited by Dodger40