Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dry suit and life vest?

CumminsBu

I wear mine over top of the drysuit. I have tried it both ways but prefer it over top as I feel slightly more streamlined this way when skiing.

I wear a vest overtop of the drysuit.

To answer your original question, yes, a life vest is needed. There's enough air trapped in the drysuit to keep you buoyant, however if you have a good spill it will burp the air out of the suit and you will no longer be floating.

I don't understand the physics of it, but if you pop a drysuit on a crash landing, with no additional floatation, you will sink to just below the water's surface. I understand it should be a neutral buoyancy thing, but it happens.

Next time your out swimming, hold your breath & stop paddling. Do you sink or float? I sink. I have a buddy who sinks like a rock. He's a pretty big, solid guy so maybe it has to do with muscle mass? BTW, my wife bobs like a cork.

Now imagine that your sinking & just got the wind knocked out of you? Do you sink or float? Any faster?

I wear the vest on the outside. It just fits better that way.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

I have tried both depending on temp and I prefer outside to keep everything tighter. After I burp mine I get zero floatation so a vest is needed for sure.

Kelly

I wear my barefoot wet suit under my dry suit, but you defiantly want a vest or BF suit.

like Bill AirJunky stated, if the dry suit rips open you go down like a rock.

Back in the day I taught barefoot skiing. One spring morning five 0 rolled up on us, we only had dry suits on at the time and found out they only came by to say "Are you guys nuts"? They pretty much were laughing at us; as it was cold.

I guess if you fart enough, the bouyancy will happen

Edited by JAXONBOATS

Back in the day I taught barefoot skiing. One spring morning five 0 rolled up on us, we only had dry suits on at the time and found out they only came by to say "Are you guys nuts"? They pretty much were laughing at us; as it was cold.

I guess if you fart enough, the bouyancy will happen

A guy from Florida can take cold? Come on. Your puttin me on. I know lots of guys from Florida & cold is 60 degree water & 60 degree air. Have you ever broken the 100 degree rule? :Tease3:

Destroyed it more than a few times. Especially back when I had dozens of guys wanting to participate in the Air Santa run. 30 / 30 wasn't uncommon. :Doh:

Now days I'll do 60 / 80 in shorts & a rash guard. But not sure I'm prepared for 30 / 30 any time soon.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

A guy from Florida can take cold? Come on. Your puttin me on. I know lots of guys from Florida & cold is 60 degree water & 60 degree air. Have you ever broken the 100 degree rule? :Tease3:

Destroyed it more than a few times. Especially back when I had dozens of guys wanting to participate in the Air Santa run. 30 / 30 wasn't uncommon. :Doh:

Now days I'll do 60 / 80 in shorts & a rash guard. But not sure I'm prepared for 30 / 30 any time soon.

How does 30/30 work? Saltwater? :)

How does 30/30 work? Saltwater? :)

He's got to be saying in the 30's. 2 yrs ago on the Santa run, air was 35 and snowing, water was 38. That hurt. I've never ridden in colder.

I wear my jifejacket under my drysuit. That way the only thing wet is the suit itself, nothing else.

• Like 1
He's got to be saying in the 30's. 2 yrs ago on the Santa run, air was 35 and snowing, water was 38. That hurt. I've never ridden in colder.

I wear my jifejacket under my drysuit. That way the only thing wet is the suit itself, nothing else.

Yep, was fun & we have stories to tell.....about spray freezing on the boat, in our beards, to the drysuit, etc. No one was crazy enough to go out there without a vest. ;)

-

Bill

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Yep, was fun & we have stories to tell.....about spray freezing on the boat, in our beards, to the drysuit, etc. No one was crazy enough to go out there without a vest. ;) - Bill

Plenty of stories......including you wearing snowboarding goggles to drive the boat. :surprised:

Plenty of stories......including you wearing snowboarding goggles to drive the boat. :surprised:

Ha! Or my hands so cold I couldn't get the boat touchscreens to work?! :Doh:

• Like 2

I don't understand the physics of it, but if you pop a drysuit on a crash landing, with no additional floatation, you will sink to just below the water's surface. I understand it should be a neutral buoyancy thing, but it happens.

Next time your out swimming, hold your breath & stop paddling. Do you sink or float? I sink. I have a buddy who sinks like a rock. He's a pretty big, solid guy so maybe it has to do with muscle mass? BTW, my wife bobs like a cork.

Now imagine that your sinking & just got the wind knocked out of you? Do you sink or float? Any faster?

I wear the vest on the outside. It just fits better that way.

If you have built in flotation devices do you still need to have a vest on under a dry suit?

• Like 2

If you have built in flotation devices do you still need to have a vest on under a dry suit?

Ha! Pretty sure they work! But I had a suit made for her, even in special colors, pink & purple. She used it once in relatively warms temps & said never again. I ended up selling to a SS rider in Socal. The buyer's built in flotation devices are man made & come to find out, they don't float as well. :rofl: