Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maxxis and Kumho Tires, still good?

Buckeye Slalom

I'm preparing for a 1600 mile trip from Colorado to Virginia and plan on new tires. I've done a lot of internet research as well as reading on this forum (and others). I am not interested in stirring up the debate about LT v ST tires. I read a lot of people recommending the Maxxis and Kumho tires ranging from 1 to 5 years ago. I am interested in their feedback now- have the tires held up? My size is 225/75/15. I'm running a SA trailer and plan on getting E rated tires.

Edited by Buckeye Slalom

I've never used Kuhmo's on a trailer. I've ran a set on my Formula (Z rated Ecsta something or other) in a 275/40/17. Traction was decent, no failure issues at all, wear wasn't all that great (not that wear is a big issue for most boaters).

Just put a set of Kuhmo AST's on the wife's Audi. Couldn't beat the price and handles (thus far) just as well as the tires that were over double the cost that were previously on it (that didn't last). They were cheap enough that even if they only last 25k miles they will still be a smart purchase.

I put Kumho's on my trailer last year. Only have 3500 mi on them now but very pleased thus far. I will say this - it's one stout tire. Filling them to max cold pressure (I have a tandem trailer) makes for a rough ride for the boat...very, very little sidewall flex.

I put Kumho's on my trailer last year. Only have 3500 mi on them now but very pleased thus far. I will say this - it's one stout tire. Filling them to max cold pressure (I have a tandem trailer) makes for a rough ride for the boat...very, very little sidewall flex.

I don't run max pressure in mine for this very reason.

Maxxis yes, Kuhmo no.

I would grab a set of nexens or achilles. Achilles ATR Sport 2 are cheap, and fantastic.

What are you basing your comments on? Studied but khumo and maxis and both seem to have very favorable reviews...

What are you basing your comments on? Studied but khumo and maxis and both seem to have very favorable reviews...

Just under 10 years of drifting haha. That and a number of high HP road cars.

Edited by TheKiwi