Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with existing stereo

moto96s

Hi Folks,

I have an existing stereo in my 2000 Sunsetter VLX. Not sure if it was stock or installed after the fact. Head unit, two amps, four speakers in the boat, and two tower speakers. The head unit and larger of the two amps and the in boat speakers all are powered when one of the original rotary switches on the dash marked "Stereo" is turned to the on position. The tower speakers and the amp for them are powered when one of the "Acc" switches to the right of the steering column is turned on. Here is my dilemma. I would like to listen to tower speakers when I surf. In order to make it loud enough to hear I have to have the boat speakers up so loud it's no fun being in the boat. Can anyone offer a simple solution. I am OK with shutting down the in boat speakers altogether if necessary. What is the best way to do it? No money for stereo upgrades this year so I am going to have to get this one to do the job. Thanks.

20140322_152111.jpg

20140322_151859-1.jpg

20140322_151841.jpg

You do not need more equipment to accomplish the goal.

First, all audio equipment should be turned on/off in the same way.

Second, the HU has separate front and rear RCA preouts so that the HU internal fader will function as a full zone control between 'inboat' and 'tower' allowing you full isolation of either or any degree of blend between the two.

Perhaps the RCAs are already wired this way and you haven't been into the menu to operate the fader?

Also, while I'm not familiar with that particular HU, there may be a default function on the rear preouts when power is lost. If you don't already have it, I would download the manual. It will come in handy.

Thanks David,

So you are saying it is basically a fade function that I should be able to accomplish with the head unit. I will try and find a manual online for it.

I tried to find a fade function with the smaller round controller by the drivers right leg with no luck.

Thanks

Thanks David,

So you are saying it is basically a fade function that I should be able to accomplish with the head unit. I will try and find a manual online for it.

I tried to find a fade function with the smaller round controller by the drivers right leg with no luck.

Thanks

Yes, it's just as simple as a HU fade function, whether it is presently wired that way or not.

Only a couple of remote controls include the fader function. The Sony does not.

Good call Dave, the manual was easy to find online.

Even if it is not currently wired as the tower speakers being the fade speakers, it can be done that way with minimal effort.

Thanks for the help.