Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter 22 MXZ

cjaybaker

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum, looking to buy a boat this spring and have a few questions. While I haven't committed yet I'm leaning towards the Malibu Wakesetter 22 MXZ. I also looked in depth at the Axis A22, SAN 210, SAN 230, and the 23 LSV. All seem like great boats, but the 22 MXZ seems to fit my personal needs the best.

The dealer answered most of my questions and I'm really impressed with the boat. I just have a few questions I felt were better to ask Malibu owners instead of a salesman.

1) What can I expect as far as holding value? I'm assuming I take a big hit on the first year, but after that, what insight can you offer me as far as how much I'm losing each year? I understand there's no way of knowing for sure, but just a rough estimate / personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

2) Maybe a weird question -but I've never owned a boat with so much electronic stuff- what is the maintenance going to be like? Should I be worried about the electronics going out when I'm 40 miles down Lake Powell and not being able to fill the ballast tanks or start the boat? Has anyone had any problems with the electronics? The MaliView / Malibu Touch Command is really sick, and I'm stoked about it, but I was just curious about reliability.

3) The dealer has me convinced that the Wakesetter is gonna be a blast when it comes to surfing. Anyone have a 22 MXZ, and if you do, how does it surf? Should I buy the aftermarket plug and play fat sacks, or is the wedge / surf gate / stock ballast gonna be enough? At least the fat sacks are affordable, but I just wouldn't mind the extra storage without it. Really stoked about the surf gate!

4) Not my most pressing question, but if there's any members on here from Utah, where do you like to ride? I'm living right in Salt Lake City, and am looking to explore some of the closer lakes this summer. Obviously Powell is a no brainer, and I plan on trekking down to Mead cause I've got some friends down there, but what about Utah Lake? I'm looking for lakes close to SLC to hit up on weekdays and stuff to really get the most out of the new whip.

Thanks in advance for any help. I read a couple threads on here and it's been real helpful, and I'm hoping things go well and I can be a member of the Malibu family this summer.

Welcome to the forum!! I live here in riverton I am assuming you are buying the boat from taylors boats, they are great I have bought 3 malibu's from them and currently have a 13 23 lsv for them and love it. Dan and McKay are great to deal with and will do there best to take care of you. As far as lakes go we really like Deer Creek it gets a little windy around 3pm but is a Great Lake for the mornings. We also go to Jordanelle allot but not on the weekends because it is so packed.

As far as depreciation goes Malibu's hold there value really well here in Utah I had considered getting a nautique g23 before I got my 13 but the market for nautiques is very small compared with the Malibu. One thing to consider is 23 lsv sell really well here not sure on the 22 mxz but it is a relatively new model so I am not sure. My 11 23lsv had some touch screen issues but that was a 1 time thing and have not had a problem sense.

Pm me if you have any questions or want some real world feed back on malibu's or lakes around here. I have been to all of them so I can help you out!!

Matt

1) What can I expect as far as holding value? I'm assuming I take a big hit on the first year, but after that, what insight can you offer me as far as how much I'm losing each year? I understand there's no way of knowing for sure, but just a rough estimate / personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Not entirely sure but since the design is family friendly and there is more room in the bow I would think it would be positive.

2) Maybe a weird question -but I've never owned a boat with so much electronic stuff- what is the maintenance going to be like? Should I be worried about the electronics going out when I'm 40 miles down Lake Powell and not being able to fill the ballast tanks or start the boat? Has anyone had any problems with the electronics? The MaliView / Malibu Touch Command is really sick, and I'm stoked about it, but I was just curious about reliability.

3 years warranty to start with so maintenance is covered for that timeframe. There is always the rare case that it might but I dont dwell on the what ifs.

3) The dealer has me convinced that the Wakesetter is gonna be a blast when it comes to surfing. Anyone have a 22 MXZ, and if you do, how does it surf? Should I buy the aftermarket plug and play fat sacks, or is the wedge / surf gate / stock ballast gonna be enough? At least the fat sacks are affordable, but I just wouldn't mind the extra storage without it. Really stoked about the surf gate!

I bought aftermarket sacs because I love overweighting stuff. I think it surfs great but I know some people have issue with the spray gate.

4) Not my most pressing question, but if there's any members on here from Utah, where do you like to ride? I'm living right in Salt Lake City, and am looking to explore some of the closer lakes this summer. Obviously Powell is a no brainer, and I plan on trekking down to Mead cause I've got some friends down there, but what about Utah Lake? I'm looking for lakes close to SLC to hit up on weekdays and stuff to really get the most out of the new whip.

I am 120 miles north of you and havent been so I couldnt tell you

Welcome to the Utah boating scene Cjay. I also have purchased a 23 LSV from Dan at Taylor's and I boat most of the time at Jordanelle, and as Matt said it is crowded on the weekends there unfortunately. I had a VLX last year, and I chose to go with the 14-23 LSV this year.

I moved here from the Southeast, where I only had Nautiques prior. Nautique is not the brand for me anymore as they just don't offer near as much to the boat owner as Malibu can offer. I agree with Matt, as the Malibu is the only choice for this area, for several reasons.....Quality, Innovation, Warranty & most importantly the Dealer support. You will not be disappointed with any of the Malibu's you are considering.

We ventured to Flaming Gorge, and also Starvation last summer. Flaming Gorge was awesome, and would highly recommend a trip there. Best of luck with your purchase and hope to see you on the water soon.

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum, looking to buy a boat this spring and have a few questions. While I haven't committed yet I'm leaning towards the Malibu Wakesetter 22 MXZ. I also looked in depth at the Axis A22, SAN 210, SAN 230, and the 23 LSV. All seem like great boats, but the 22 MXZ seems to fit my personal needs the best.

The dealer answered most of my questions and I'm really impressed with the boat. I just have a few questions I felt were better to ask Malibu owners instead of a salesman.

Thanks in advance for any help. I read a couple threads on here and it's been real helpful, and I'm hoping things go well and I can be a member of the Malibu family this summer.

1) It's impossible to guestimate what your first year of depreciation will look like. But I will say in general that Malibus hold their value really well, even early on. This is mainly due to the fact that the price of new wake boats (not just Bu) goes up every year, which keeps used prices strong. One of these years the pricing may be flat year over year and we'll all take a resale hit. You could drive yourselve crazy trying to overthink all this. It's probably best not to worry about it as it's driven by market dynamics mostly out of your control. Focus on the ONE thing you can control that minimizes depreciation... get as good a deal as you can, then take really really good care of the boat.

2) No, don't worry about the fancy electronics; they work really well and I like the functionality they provide, specifically the rider presets. Malivue has been out since 2009. MTC since 2011. I hardly ever remember reading about issues. The few I've read were easily fixed. Another thing to keep in mind, even if the system did crash or something, there's a keyed backup on the side panel so you would still be able to start the boat. Here's a story for you... last summer I was out on the river with a boat full of summer interns from work (college kids). My boss was also there with his boat packed with interns. At one point we stopped close to them to chat for a few... one of the interns from the other boat thought it would be funny to completely unload a giant super soaker into my boat, which was only about a month old and I swear most of the water hit my new dash; it was soaked, and I was pissed. But no damage resulted from that. I just mopped up the mess and all was good.

3) Yes, you should absolutely get the Plug & Play ballast add on. It's an important companion option to Surf Gate. Remember, Surf Gate does not make a big wave all by itself. It's actually the ballast that makes the wave big. Surf Gate just redirects the water behind the boat. The size of the wave it makes is directly correlated to how you weight the boat. Stock ballast and wedge are not enough, imho.

4) I went to college in Utah and I return often on business, so I know the area and the culture well. I would echo Deer Creek and Jordanelle. But I wouldn't hesitate to ride Utah Lake as well. When I was in school people used to talk alot of ish about Utah Lake. Then one day I went there wirh friends to ride wave runners. It was great, and even today I know a few guys who take their wake boats there and use it as their primary riding spot. They post a lot of pics on FB and I swear Utah Lake always looks like butter.

Now a few questions for you...

What about the MXZ do you like best? How did you pick that one?

Have you looked at Youtube vids of MXZ surf waves, or any Surf Gate waves for that matter? Great way to do research.

What motor are you thinking about up there in the Wasatch Mountains?

Is it an inventory boat you are looking at. If so post pics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Edited by IXFE

First off, thanks to all for the response, that's very helpful.

Matt - It's nice to hear some positive feedback on Taylor's Boats, they seem great, but some positive affirmation is always good.

Saidainc - I've heard a little about the spraygate, but I'm definitely underinformed regarding that matter. Considering you have a 2012 MXZ, does the spray gate issue bother you? Does added ballast help? Thanks for the info.

Ccwakerider - Flaming Gorge is beautiful. Thanks for reminding me, I'll definitely have to spend a weekend out there.

IXFE - What about the MXZ do I like best? I really like all the space in the bow. As far as a 22' boat goes I thought the layout was pretty dialed. I love the look of the MXZ, but cleaned up on the dealer floor there wasn't a bad looking Malibu as far as I'm concerned. This April the dealer has offered to take me out on the water, and I want to get on the MXZ and the LSV to see how the wake looks. That might be the deciding factor.

I haven't looked at many Youtube videos of the wake, but I'm gonna start right now, good idea. As for now I'm looking at the 409. I'm hoping that'll be plenty. I noticed you're getting a new 23 LSV (congrats!) - what did you get? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at an inventory boat. I'm not going to buy until the end of April / beginning of May (waiting on some taxes and a few business moves) so if the boat sells I can customize my own for $10,000 down. It looks like you may have done that, if there's any options you think I need, let me know. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll snap some pics of the inventory boat, it's got a great look to it, and if it's still there I would rather pick it up instead of wait.

Thanks everybody!

The general consensus I've read is the MXZ has the weakest V-drive surf wake in the Malibu lineup, but the best wakeboard wake. That of course is comparing it to similar length Malibus (20 MXZ vs VTX, 22 MXZ vs VLX or 23LSV, 24 MXZ vs 23 / 247 LSV).

I love the looks of the MXZ, but if I was dropping that kind of coin and wanted the best Malibu surf wake, 23 LSV or 247 LSV would be my picks (well, VLX for me since I have a 22' lake limit).

22 MXZ doesn't have the reputation as a terrific surf boat... However is does have an A+ reputation as a premier 23mph wakeboat.

VLX, 23LSV and 247 have a more balanced performance as you describe what you are looking for.

If you are dead set on the 22, make the dealer sac it out and surf demo for you to your satisfaction. And don't buy that if the surf demo is less than stellar, that you can tweak it after you buy to make it, and it will magically 100% better.

I have a 2012 MXZ 22 that I just bought (NEW late 2012). Took it out for the second time this weekend and absolutely loved it. The wake for wake boarding was very clean, and adjustable (I have two small kids). The surf wave, I am going to add some ballast, but it looks great compared to what very little experience I have.

I have the 350 with Hi Output prop from the dealer and I the plane speed is extremely fast.

First year - who knows on anything, but I bought a 2012 (no surf gate option), but it was greatly discounted for me from the dealer so I feel confident that if we need surf gate, I won't take too bad of a bath next year.

We will see.

Thanks for all the input, I'm glad I came here. This has been very helpful with the research, and this is only day one. At the end of the day I think getting on the water is really going to help the decision making process, but I've gained some valuable information here. Luckily I've still got some time before I make a decision.

The LSV is starting to look more appealing with what has been said. Wake surfing is definitely important. I'll let you guys know what I think after I get on the water!

Regards!

We have a 2014 22 MXZ and I feel the surf wave is pretty sweet. We have surfgate and all four ballast tanks, so stock as many would say. We are looking at putting 750's in tbe rear lockers this year and possibly a sack in the front or isle to make the wave a bit bigger. Front weight makes a huge difference.

The 22 MXZ at the Malibu Rider Experience, that was pretty sacked out, had a wave up to my hip. My daughter who is 12, and surfs well, easily ducked below the wave and at times couldn't whip the board to the peak.

So the MXZ may not have the reputation as the best surfboat in Malibu's line, in my experience its does, its a matter of how you load it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have a 22MXZ and the boat is sick. I much prefer it to the 23LSV or the VLX. I also like that every other boat at the boat launch isn't the same as yours. To me there wasn't a better option in the Malibu line for what we wanted.

We have a 2014 22 MXZ and I feel the surf wave is pretty sweet. We have surfgate and all four ballast tanks, so stock as many would say. We are looking at putting 750's in tbe rear lockers this year and possibly a sack in the front or isle to make the wave a bit bigger. Front weight makes a huge difference.

The 22 MXZ at the Malibu Rider Experience, that was pretty sacked out, had a wave up to my hip. My daughter who is 12, and surfs well, easily ducked below the wave and at times couldn't whip the board to the peak.

So the MXZ may not have the reputation as the best surfboat in Malibu's line, in my experience its does, its a matter of how you load it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's some promising information. I'm gonna ask the dealer to throw in the plug and play sacks when we demo.

I have a 22MXZ and the boat is sick. I much prefer it to the 23LSV or the VLX. I also like that every other boat at the boat launch isn't the same as yours. To me there wasn't a better option in the Malibu line for what we wanted.

That was the most appealing aspect of the 22 MXZ to me. I love that you don't see them around too often yet (I'm sure that will change as Malibu continues to sell more). I prefer the styling of the MXZ to the LSV, so I'm hoping the wake fits my needs.

^Both of you, great looking boats.

Last year I thought we were going to buy a VLX until I toured the factory and was able to see every model in one place. I chose the MXZ becuse of the room up front, design plus the rear transom seats which are now offered on the 2014 LSV.

If you are in to surfing the 22MXZ likes to be weighted down so the more ballast and people the better the surf is. it takes some adjusting but once you have it dieled in it's a blast. I also chose the LS3 and highly recomend it. You get one chance to buy the right engine.

Surfgate is a must. I am not sure plug and play is worth the money. Yes, you can just add a bag and integrate it to the stock ballast which is nice but they take time to fill up. Take a look at the option of adding dedicated pumps for the extra ballast bags that would be operated with toggle switches. That would be nice if you can justify the expense.

I will say that a lot of people here on the forum are buying the LSV this year as it has a great reputation for being one of the best wake surfing boats plus it's a new design. If it were me demo both the 22MXZ and LSV and decide. Both will provide counltess hours of great entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it back to the boat dealer, I've been busy.

Still haven't had the chance to demo, but that should happen soon. One quick question. My dealer has a 2013 LSV that costs a considerable amount less than the 2014 22 MXZ that I'm looking at, and it seems like a good deal. They have almost exactly the same features, but I noticed the LSV has the diamond hull and the MXZ has the wake hull. I looked up the diamond hull and apparently that's for skiing? I don't ski. My dealer was telling me there's hardly a difference between the wake and diamond hull. I don't know why they would make two hulls if there was a difference, so I thought I would ask here. How is a 2013 23 LSV with diamond hull when it comes to wake boarding and surfing?

Also, money isn't the primary issue, but I thought with the money I saved I could buy a new 450 dirt bike this summer guilt free and have some money to spare.

So if you're buying, would you go 2013 LSV with diamond hull and a new KX450F (plus some extra boating money), or stick with the MXZ and 2010 dirt bike?

Edited by cjaybaker

The general consensus I've read is the MXZ has the weakest V-drive surf wake in the Malibu lineup, but the best wakeboard wake. That of course is comparing it to similar length Malibus (20 MXZ vs VTX, 22 MXZ vs VLX or 23LSV, 24 MXZ vs 23 / 247 LSV).I love the looks of the MXZ, but if I was dropping that kind of coin and wanted the best Malibu surf wake, 23 LSV or 247 LSV would be my picks (well, VLX for me since I have a 22' lake limit).

I agree with you. Nice wakeboard wake! It's just a pic....

9997519253_50a81c3e85_b.jpg

image by Afun2011, on Flickr

I demoed a 13' MXZ back in November and was pretty impressed with the wake. We only got to ride with full stock ballast and wedge. Was a really nice stock wake, I'll admit was nicer than my San 210 stock wake. I liked it's shape and pop that it had as well as it's consistency. I was really looking forward to loading it up, we brought 750s for the lockers and a 750 to put in the bow. But once we got everything filled the boat wouldn't plane. Sales guy doing the demo blamed the prop so we tried emptying but boat still wouldn't plane and then went into limp mode, over heated I guess. So that ended the demo. We only wake boarded no surfing.

Things I didn't like were for the size of the boat cockpit was way to small. Wish it had rear facing seating, even just behind driver would be nice. Wish it had stern walkthrew. Wish it had bow storage. Boat rode nice and felt solid. This boat did have a issue maintaining speed and according to GPS it was reading about 1.5 mph to high. Dealer blamed prop on this also. With all that said I don't thing I would buy a MXZ until I demoed a LSV if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk