Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

13 VLX Gunwale ballast install/Big 800 Sumo (pics)

Fman

You did an incredible job with this. Thank you for all the information and pictures. I am going to seriously consider this. It May not happen this year, but it would make a good fall/winter project.

Where did you get the gunwale sumo sacks from?

Thanks again!

Hey thanks, it was a fun project, a few bloody knuckles with some fiberglass in my skin! Must be getting close to boating season!

I always purchase all of my ballast supplies from Wakemakers, Spencer and Jason are always great to deal with.

http://www.wakemakers.com/?gclid=CMCo-erjp70CFVKIfgodWJoAVA

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

This doesn't add anything to my to-do or wishlist but I sure enjoy seeing a very clean install and this is one of them! Nice work. I hate fiber glass in my hands, but you are right at least it's getting close to boating season!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks.... I am hoping to get out Monday for some R&D wake testing, weather looks good, spring suits coming out! Would be stoked to come close to what RayRay is achieving in his VLX.

• Like 3

For the mediocre surfer I am it was nice, my youngest son said it was sweet. I just need a good surfer to get behind it now. I did manage to actually spin a 360 more than once but could never stay in the wave, but I am making progress. I removed two of the three fins and started using my hand to push off the wave and it seems to really help generate the spin.

• Like 3

This is still the best use of space and keeping the bow open I have seen. Good work man.

You have gunwale bags on both sides right? So it's an extra 600lbs up front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94

Dave, if you are splitting hairs its actually a 350 lb hard tank, 315 lb gunwale bags for a total of 675 lbs plus a passenger or two if desired. Yes, I have a utili sac on each side of the bow area.

I thought each bag was 300lbs, making it 900lbs including your front tank. I mis understood. Either way, still super clean. Plus I forgot you have the 600lb on the floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94

Close to that 360 huh?

I can spin the board completey now, i just cant stay in the wake, by the time I end up all the way around I am too far back to stay in the wave... I think I need to start closer to the platform and spin a little faster. That is my goal this season for surfing, to be able to pull off a clean 360. :)

Cory, that is my plan next time out... I'm going to bump up wedge a couple clicks on port side. We only had goofy riders that day, but next week I have two days planned to go out and we will have a mix of riders on the boat.

• 2 weeks later...

I was towing my bro in law at about 32 mph, at about 4100 rpm's. He can only last about 10 hard cuts, so it's a pretty short run in comparison to wakeboarding or surfing. The 2315 does great, I usually fill front ballast tank, helps flatten the wake by countering the engine weight. Be careful not to slam the throttle with the 2315, it really does have a lot of torque coming out of holeshot with a skier on it.

If you don't carry a lot of weight, the 1235 might be an option, a little more top speed and less rpm's. If I was towing slalom Skiers all the time the 2315 would not be my prop of choice, but it can work for the occasional pull.