Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weighting an A24

Cdoogles

I just finished ordering the ballast setup for my A24. It's starting to get sunny up here in Seattle so I'm itching to get out on the water. I will update everyone once I get some water time running this setup, but here is where I'm starting:

I am running all Fly High sacks from Bakes:

1100lb PnP sacks in the rear (W036-1 1/8)
950lb PnP sack under the seats in the bow (W029-1)
Two 750s for the cabin and aisle way when we don't have a lot of people in the boat. Got one of the new camoflage one's to go with the green and black color scheme of the boat as well! (W707)

Should be a good start for the massive wake and wave I'm hoping for out of this boat!!! Bring on the sunshine!

• Like 3

Thinking I'm going with Sumo 900's and Sumo bow sacks to take advantage of the 1" lines instead of the 3/4" Fly Hi. You're going to add a bunch of minutes in fill times. I also rarely have more than 3-4 in my boat so I'll also have 800-1000lbs but I'm using 400-500 in lead then maybe a Ronix Eight.3 800lb sack in the middle

The Fly High sacks I referenced have the 1&1/8" fittings on them... so it won't decrease fill times at all. Plus I'm a huge fan of Fly High stuff...I've personally had some bad luck with the Sumo sacks, but that doesn't mean they won't work for other people.

Edited by Cdoogles

do you guys really think you will get a true 900 under the bow seats? I looked at the boat in November and was really surprised at how little space there is under those seats.

do you guys really think you will get a true 900 under the bow seats? I looked at the boat in November and was really surprised at how little space there is under those seats.

I have my doubts as well.... I'll post a picture on how full the sack is getting once I have it hooked up.

I think 750 is doable under the bow. Are the Fly Hi you reference a true 1" inside diameter? I thought They still haven't come out with a true 1" ID fitting at the sack.

• 2 weeks later...

I think 750 is doable under the bow. Are the Fly Hi you reference a true 1" inside diameter? I thought They still haven't come out with a true 1" ID fitting at the sack.

Nope. It's the same Malibu/Axis dealer disinformation campaign about the expensive Fly HIgh sacs that are "Made For Malibu". All Fly High Pro X Series sacs have a 3/4" threaded port. The Malibu and Axis sacs have a W743 (33043) fitting glued in. That does not give you a 1" port but realisitcally it is not a ton of flow loss so in the grand scheme of things it is fine. HAHA. It is still a thorn in my side when I get told I am wrong and that a boat sales guy said... I agree to disagree.

Man, maybe I didn't look long or hard enough, but it looked to me like you'd be hard pressed to get 750 in lead under the front seats, let alone water.

rode the a24 like this...

450 motor, Acme 2419 prop, 10-15' deep lake, 1400' elevation, Half tank fuel, 2 adults, one rider.

Sumo 750's rear (quarter bouncing full)

Fly high 950 A24 horseshoe bow sack (as full as we could get them)

600lbs lead midship under the seats, 300 each side (you A24 owners probably have seen the depressed floor area under the seats that appear to have been made for Lead Wake bags,….)

Stock ballast full. (1000)

NO wedge.

wake was amazing… the total ballast numbers according to stated capacity was 4050 lbs…. We think the 950 bow sack was probably only 650-750 max, and the Sumo's, as tested by some guy on wakeworld, hold more than their stated capacity. So realistically, best guess was a good 3800 lbs. NO sacks on the floor or on the bow or in the walk way, and we still did not deploy the wedge. The wake was incredibly, very smooth transition but with a nice kicker at the top, a lot like the A22 wake slammed with the wedge down, just a bit different shape and really really clean and hard lip. It reminds me of my A22 with about 4800 lbs… or a 06-08 VLX with about 4000 in it. Fantastic. My favorite wake to ride right now….

450 motor, Acme 2419 prop, 10-15' deep lake, 1400' elevation, Half tank fuel, 2 adults, one rider.

600lbs lead midship under the seats, 300 each side (you A24 owners probably have seen the depressed floor area under the seats that appear to have been made for Lead Wake bags,….)

NO wedge.

wake was amazing… the total ballast numbers according to stated capacity was 4050 lbs…. We think the 950 bow sack was probably only 650-750 max, and the Sumo's, as tested by some guy on wakeworld, hold more than their stated capacity. So realistically, best guess was a good 3800 lbs. NO sacks on the floor or on the bow or in the walk way, and we still did not deploy the wedge. The wake was incredibly, very smooth transition but with a nice kicker at the top, a lot like the A22 wake slammed with the wedge down, just a bit different shape and really really clean and hard lip. It reminds me of my A22 with about 4800 lbs… or a 06-08 VLX with about 4000 in it. Fantastic. My favorite wake to ride right now….

Sounds like that would make a pretty sweet wake! Any pics? How did the 450 do with the 2419 when not weighted? Did it ever hit the rev limiter?

NO wedge.

You should stash a couple hundred lbs of lead in the bow and deploy the wedge. The A24 wake is SOOO big I love it.

Sounds like that would make a pretty sweet wake! Any pics? How did the 450 do with the 2419 when not weighted? Did it ever hit the rev limiter?

Didn't get pictures that day, we just dropped in, took a quick set each, then bailed. Next time I will.

And I did not drive it unweighted so I have no answer for you. It did jump up on plane very very quickly fully weighted. We were imagining that it would take another 2000 lbs of ballast before it began to have planning problems. Now that boat has the 2315 prop so I will probably never know that answer with the 2419. I will try a full speed unweighted (lead only) run next time.

You should stash a couple hundred lbs of lead in the bow and deploy the wedge. The A24 wake is SOOO big I love it.

We didn't have much time to mess around last time out, but we did throw a 600 sumo bag in the bow and drop the wedge. It was big, but all of us really really loved the wedge less wake on that boat. Summer has not yet arrived, so I am excited to get more time in and behind it.

I got my A24 on Tues and it's been rain/drizzle ever since. I got a whole 3hrs on it. I have the L96 motor with 2419 prop. Might be overkill with the 2419 but I didn't want the motor struggling for surfing.

Edited by AJWest

Johnny, did you find that the regular wave was better than the goofy wave? This was a pleasant suprise for me when I demoed the A24 a few months back?

It is cleaner but add a tiny list to the goofy side and it's just as lippy but they are both still clean on either side

Didn't get pictures that day, we just dropped in, took a quick set each, then bailed. Next time I will.

And I did not drive it unweighted so I have no answer for you. It did jump up on plane very very quickly fully weighted. We were imagining that it would take another 2000 lbs of ballast before it began to have planning problems. Now that boat has the 2315 prop so I will probably never know that answer with the 2419. I will try a full speed unweighted (lead only) run next time.

Sounds good. Thanks. The 2315 is really the prop I am interested in seeing how the 450 does with so that works out well.

Johnny, did you find that the regular wave was better than the goofy wave? This was a pleasant suprise for me when I demoed the A24 a few months back?

I did not notice a difference (from the boat) either side… they looked very very equal. We were wakeboarding and last minute tried out surf gate, so we did not play with ballast at all. The boat now has sumo 900's in the lockers so that will be fun. I was pleasantly surprised of how big the wake was with only 4000 lbs, and how steep it was without the wedge.

I know I know… "only 4000 lbs" haha. But it is a 24 foot Malibu.. I have been in 23 LSV's with 4000 and wedge and it is not even close to how big this was.