Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is 16AWG wire big enough to daisy chain 3 amps and an EQ

Showstopper

Wiring in my relay under the helm and am wanting to run one run of 16 AWG wire to the observers compartment to the first amp then daisy chain off that amp. Will this work or should I use a heavier gauge wire to the first amp?

depends on the draw from your amp it may be a good idea to run a relay to power all the amps and EQ then your head unit wont have to handle the draw from all 4 things. You could run a 16 g wire to the relay and then tap into the power source for one of your amps and split it to all the remote lines

If each amplifier and EQ remote turn-on lead draws on the high side, you will still be under 2/10ths of one amp. 16-gauge is fine. Even 18-ga. is plenty in this application. But with four items, I still like the suggestion of a relay if you are triggering that lead with a HU even though a HU may be rated at 1/2 amp on this circuit. It's cheap insurance. If it's just a dash switch there is no need for a relay. In that case just fuse the lead at its source.

The workload + & - to the EQ and HU should be 16-gauge minimum. I prefer a shared 14 to 12-gauge depending on the distance.

Ok as stated in first post I am using a relay just didn't know what everything drew for amps on the trigger wire to determine if 16 gauge was good enough but David answered it perfectly thank you. I am using 14 gauge wire to for all power and grounds.