Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat owners - Check your ballast lines

Fman

I have been installing some more ballast in my 2013 VLX, last year I noticed a ballast line completely kinked off on the port side from a tie strap completely constricting it. I repaired it last year... Upon installing my current system I just found another ballast line coming from my rear tank on drivers side completely kinked off. It is the drain line coming from the rear ballast tank, it has always drained slower than the other tanks and this is obviously why. Probably a 80-85% reduction in flow.

Just something to check when you get your new boat.

Its 1 1/8" black standard ballast hose, it wont kink too easily unless you make a severe bend which is what they did on mine. The 1 1/8" is a little less user friendly than the 1", better flow, but not quite as forgiving on the bends. Hopefully this does not happen too often.

Thanks for the tip FMan. Next Time I'm out in my overpriced low quality boat, I'll check mine out to make sure they aren't kinked. Great tip. Exactly the reason for this forum. Members helping members.

I should've bought a 1990 Euro..Oh well.. I guess I'll have to suffer and make do with my POS.

Edited by bunji169

My 2014 vlx gets here any day, I had a06 v-ride. Seems to me that the quality has improved!! Lets start with touch screen, I never thought this day would happen that id have a new wakesetter. Im definitely going to give my hoses a good once over. Thanks for the info bunji169

I was probably the lucky one with the friday afternoon ballast line install! Both of them were kinked at the junction point in front of engine on both sides when they run them into the vented loops and thru hulls. Check the tie straps where they bundle them together.

Starboard ballast line pinched under side partition , port side kinked. Fixed it myself as it was easier then taking the boat to the dealer, had some other issues that I also repaired myself.

Edited by Vettesetter Z06

Its an assembly line those boats are moving every 20 minutes or so… and its not theirs.. !!!! Take the time and tweek!!!!!!!

JK

At the price of these boats they should know when they pinch or kink hoses, and if they don't care because its not their boat that really sucks. They must have the ability to stop the line when things aren't going together correctly. I'm sorry to say this, but I think Malibu is on a downhill slide as far as quality goes.