Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'94 Echelon Engine & Transmission Maintenance

ncc74

Just bought a '94 Echelon with 262 hours and want to change the transmission fluid. What type of fluid do these velvet drive transmissions require? The fluid isn't red like transmission fluid, it looks like the color of new motor oil when I checked the fluid level. Also what type of motor oil is recommended for these 265 hp mercruiser engines? Thanks

Edited by ncc74
Just bought a '94 Echelon with 262 hours and want to change the transmission fluid. What type of fluid do these velvet drive transmissions require? The fluid isn't red like transmission fluid, it looks like the color of new motor oil when I checked the fluid level. Also what type of motor oil is recommended for these 265 hp mercruiser engines? Thanks

SAE-30 motor oil

Here is an online manual for the Walters V-Drive.

Edited by MoonDawg

SAE-30 motor oil

Here is an online manual for the Walters V-Drive.

SAE 30 for a 98 DD with the 325 Monsoon?

Your 94 Echelon should have the Borg Warner 71C velvet drive tranny. Mine had the same type of fluid from the factory, not a problem, replace it with Dextron III automatic transmission fluid. It holds about 1.8 quarts.

I ordered a service manual from Mercury, very helpful, it has all the information you need on your engine and transmission.

https://appcenter.mercurymarine.com/litreq/...orm.jsp?type=mc

SAE 30 for a 98 DD with the 325 Monsoon?

No the 98 DD is a ZF Hurth transmission. It uses Dexron III ATF (The Smelly Pink Stuff)

Your 94 Echelon should have the Borg Warner 71C velvet drive tranny. .....

Your correct...disregard my post about the V-Drive ... Crazy.gif