Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 response pylon pivot binding!

Mark Chilcutt

My swivel on my pylon is binding up. It looks like it has a removable top cover? My question is does it thread off? or do i need to pry it off to gain access to the shaft and bolt that hold it on? I dont want to ruin the cap if it is a threaded cap by trying to pry it off.

Thanks, MC

The corrosion was so bad in mine (held in place by just an o-ring by the way), that I ended up using two wood working chisels. Work on in from one side and the other in from the other side. Found the widest yet thinnest I could to prevent marring anything up. Once off I soaked my whole pylon pivot in Zep 45 (penetrating lubricant) for a few days to get the bearing moving again. Re-assembled with lithium grease. Be careful tightening the brass nut inside there, mine is now stainless if that tells you anything.

Edited by blk93jeepzj

I had a similar probmen with the cap, metal on the 2011 model rattling while idling, ok under way.

Took a bit to pry the cap off with the o ring, sprayed some penetrating type lube in to soften the o ring and allow it to slip inside the outer head. Came off easy with the lube.

I had a similar probmen with the cap, metal on the 2011 model rattling while idling, ok under way.

Took a bit to pry the cap off with the o ring, sprayed some penetrating type lube in to soften the o ring and allow it to slip inside the outer head. Came off easy with the lube.

Everything is easier with lube.