Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just bought a use air chair

isellacuras

It's called PSA.... pressure sensitive adhesive. Use a hot air gun or let the board sit out in the hot sun for a few hours. The adhesive should soften up quite a bit.

You might be able to get more PSA from a waterski shop like Wileys or Adrenaline. Or just use a product like 3M's Super 90 spray adhesive.

I sell,

Seriously, before you start messing with your Air Chair, if you're seriously getting hooked on foilin', now is the time to step up to a Sky Ski and make whatever mods you may need to that.

You'll get more money for the A.C. with no goofy mods on ebay than if you start messing with it. I bought my A.C. for ~$300 and sold it on ebay for ~$500.

Granted, next step was $1,500 on a used S.S. ST Pro.

I don't disagree with Pete on this. Keeping it as stock as possible will appeal to more people when it comes time to sell.

There is a big hole under one of the bindings where the press operator stabbed a tool in the layup to pull it out of the mold. Moving the footbed forward an inch or two SHOULD NOT reveal that hole.... but.....

All that said, I'd make the mods if I was going to keep it, and just deal with the hole if it ended up being out in the open.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I hope to upgrade soon. My plan was to move them forward one hole. Using the two existing holes and drill out the front one. I'm sure when I sell this one, it will go to a friend that I take out and get them hooked. They won't mind or even know the difference. The delta in what I paid and what I sell for is not enough to worry about a couple dollars in lost value. I am in your shoes Pete. I paid 350 for this one and hope to get 5 or 6 for it when the time comes. I got it out for the first time with the new sky ski belt and it made me much more stable on it. It was my third day out and I started jumping on it (unsuccessful so far). I will be posting some YouTube videos once I get them uploaded. Let's just say I'm pretty sore today. Anyways, it just seems like I'd have better control and body position if I could stretch out a little more, keeping my weight more forward without having to bend at the waist so much. Again, I'm 6'4" 275#'s

Anyways, it just seems like I'd have better control and body position if I could stretch out a little more, keeping my weight more forward without having to bend at the waist so much. Again, I'm 6'4" 275#'s

What about shimming some of the lift out of it? This would allow you to sit up straight at least. Use a dime, or cut up an old credit card & make a couple of triangular shims. Unscrew the rear wing a bit, place the "shims" in the back, between the wing & the t-bar. Then tighten the wing bolts back down. This will reduce lift.

The bummer is it will also reduce pop somewhat, which is what gives you big air. Obviously that isn't an issue at the moment though.

I like a foil that has a little lift in it. Rather than riding leaning forward, all hunched over, I ride with a little bit of foot pressure pretty much all the time. This allows me to lean back, and get more air on the jumps & inverts. But this is all something i learned years later.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • 7 years later...

I am 62 and just bought a air chair. There is no need for a helmet or goggles. The falls are very forgiving and trust me I have had plenty. I have gotten up on the air chair many times but after a short period I end up falling. It seems like there's so much to remember, don't look at your ski, sit forward on the seat, bend your arms, don't bend your arms. Can any of the experienced riders help me a little bit here. I am a seasoned slalom skier for many years and getting very frustrated. Thanks in advance

Once you get up I found it easiest to STAY up by almost trying to look like superman flying while sitting ( arms straight leaning over forwards ). Also what foil did you get? Some of the older original chairs with the smaller front wings can be extremely volatile and unforgiving for newbies, but once you get so that you can ride it youll be able to ride any chair. Got any pics or videos of you "riding"?

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of good YouTube videos from Mike Murphy on learning to foil and others to progress from there. There is always someone in the foil community that is willing to go out and give help on the water. Check out some of the Facebook hydrofoil pages to find people or on foilforum.com. I’ve met some great friends that I foil with weekly. 

Once you start to jump the pain increases. I have a laundry list of injuries from this sport but wouldn’t want to give it up. There is nothing like it!