Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Manifolds and Risers

How often, or will you change your manifolds and risers ?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. I run in brackish and or salt water mostly:

• 1 year ~ 100 hrs.
    • 2 years ~ 200 hrs.
    • 3 years ~3 00 hrs.
    • 4 years ~ 400 hrs.
    • 5 years ~ 500 hrs.
    • 6+ years ~ 600+ hrs.
    • I'll sell my boat before it needs them.
    • I'll keep running until I let the smoke out of the engine, then, I'll get a new boat.
    • I only run in FRESH water
  2. 2. I run in fresh water ONLY:

• 1 year ~ 100 hrs.
    • 2 years ~ 200 hrs.
    • 3 years ~3 00 hrs.
    • 4 years ~ 400 hrs.
    • 5 years ~ 500 hrs.
    • 6+ years ~ 600+ hrs.
    • What are manifolds and risers?
    • Can't I just pay someone to do it?
    • I only run in BRACKISH or SALT water

Bottom line is... anthing is possible.

Just because Peter sees 20 yr. old boats come in with orig. equip. doens't mean that that's the norm. No offense Peter, I always value your input.

And, BTW, I'm certainly NOT trying to scare anyone into calling me to replace their mans. and risers (Mike)

dlb...you and I run in this nice fresh midwestern water. No chance of needing to replace ours.

Seriously, I've been around boats my whole life and just now saw the first manifold rust through this past fall. It was on a 1972 Sea Ray that has spent most of its life in storage...it maybe has 500 hrs on it. I believe that if your boat runs regularly, it's a non-issue in fresh water. My 1967 Correct Craft never needed new ones while I had it, and you could disassemble those to inspect periodically, which I did.

Edited by bareftskier
  • 1 month later...

The one piece ETX manifolds have no separate riser and are intended to extend the life. I don't expect to have to do these for a good while. May even get the urge to replace the boat first.

• 2 weeks later...

So my manifold riser gaskets on my monsoon 335 (03 wakesetter salt water boat) started to leak a noticable amont at high rpm, the gaskets were pretty bad and the manifolds could look better- but the question im getting at is, if i should replace the manifolds now or not.. would it be risky to finish the season with just fresh seals?

-burrows

• 2 years later...

Now that its been a few years how are everyones manifolds holding up?

280 hours both mine went out and at $900 each I want to know how to prevent it from happening again.

i have a 1986 skier rebuilt motor 3 year ago used a pipe cleaner and re installed my manifolds run in the river all the time. Things are still good, don't understand why you need to replace after 1-6 years?

I have an 85 Skier. I put valves in the back of the manifolds so that when I am done for the day I open the valves and let the water drain out. I try not to let water sit in the engine.

I'd like to put a 383 in the Rat mobile.. I'd change the manifolds then ;)

I'd go with SS water injected headers Thumbup.gif you'll get way more at top RPM's :)

• 1 month later...

I run almost exclusively in salt water and your current options just don't fit. I personally wouldn't change them unless I noticed a problem at which time I would change them, not get a new boat.