Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dodge 3.6 Ram with 8 Speed Tranny?

Arctic Slalom

I drove a 3.6 durango with the 8 speed 3 weeks ago. I was skeptical. I think I was inclined to think it would be hunting more, making driving experience frustrating and non-linear. However, the opposite was true. IT laid down power from a stop and acceleration while moving better than a 5 speed for sure. The ratios and number are such you really can't tell it is shifting. I was really surprised. I would tow with the 3.6 before my old tahoe (that "seemed" fine at teh time) any day. It was impressive.

ahopkins22LSV

I drove a 3.6 durango with the 8 speed 3 weeks ago. I was skeptical. I think I was inclined to think it would be hunting more, making driving experience frustrating and non-linear. However, the opposite was true. IT laid down power from a stop and acceleration while moving better than a 5 speed for sure. The ratios and number are such you really can't tell it is shifting. I was really surprised. I would tow with the 3.6 before my old tahoe (that "seemed" fine at teh time) any day. It was impressive.

That was my experience too. I don't think we can make a judgement call on how this truck will tow off of numbers from test, but until we actually do it. Maybe I will borrow my friends for a bit this spring and see how it does with my boat.

The 8 speed transmission in the new Rams is worlds better than the transmissions before it. The trucks are faster, get better economy, and drive better because of it. The shift maps are constantly changing, so when you're towing, it will adapt as it goes.

described here: http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodge/2013-ram-powertrain.html

As for me, I have the same transmission in my SUV, and it's awesome at basically everything. I shift it manually when towing - I don't want it going into the upper gears, and I also want the shift maps to stay adapted to how I drive when I'm not towing. I don't know if my method "tricks" the transmission at all, but that's my theory. At any rate, it's easily the best all around transmission I've ever driven, it's fantastic.

The 8 speed transmission in the new Rams is worlds better than the transmissions before it. The trucks are faster, get better economy, and drive better because of it. The shift maps are constantly changing, so when you're towing, it will adapt as it goes.

described here: http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodge/2013-ram-powertrain.html

As for me, I have the same transmission in my SUV, and it's awesome at basically everything. I shift it manually when towing - I don't want it going into the upper gears, and I also want the shift maps to stay adapted to how I drive when I'm not towing. I don't know if my method "tricks" the transmission at all, but that's my theory. At any rate, it's easily the best all around transmission I've ever driven, it's fantastic.

That kind of speaks volumes though doesn't it? I don't shift my 5 speed manually when towing. Anyhow I haven't driven one yet, like I say even my 5 speed is annoying around the city constantly shifting. Seems like 8 spd would be worse but I don't know.

Edited by Ruffdog

FWIW - I recently had a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the 8spd that I rented for a couple days. I put 900 miles on it, mostly on the highway. It got about 26mpg cruising along pretty good. I wasn't pulling anything but it was a great highway cruiser. Comfortable interior, good seating position, good visibility, etc. No idea how it would have been with a 5-6k trailer behind...but empty it drove quite nicely. Exceeded my expectations for certain.

That kind of speaks volumes though doesn't it? I don't shift my 5 speed manually when towing. Anyhow I haven't driven one yet, like I say even my 5 speed is annoying around the city constantly shifting. Seems like 8 spd would be worse but I don't know.

Actually no. As I said, I shift manually because I prefer to (and I did with the 6 speed in my Tundra too.)

The ZF absolutely does not gear hunt, it almost always seems to be in the right gear, much better than the 6 speed was in my Tundra.

I'm an automatic transmission hater almost by trade, as I have 3 other vehicles and all have manual trannies, but I love it. It's responsive, returns good fuel mileage, and so far seems bulletproof. There is a reason this transmission is now found in so many different rigs...it's just hard to beat.

• Like 1

Actually no. As I said, I shift manually because I prefer to (and I did with the 6 speed in my Tundra too.)

The ZF absolutely does not gear hunt, it almost always seems to be in the right gear, much better than the 6 speed was in my Tundra.

I'm an automatic transmission hater almost by trade, as I have 3 other vehicles and all have manual trannies, but I love it. It's responsive, returns good fuel mileage, and so far seems bulletproof. There is a reason this transmission is now found in so many different rigs...it's just hard to beat.

Good to hear. I think I need to go test one just to gain some perspective.

Edited by Ruffdog

All the trucks from all the manufactures get very close to the same mileage when equipped the same.

I get 19.0 on the interstate at 72 and about 15 in town in my 5.7 Tundra. If I get a lead foot the old MPG's fall pretty quick.

Pulling our VLX about 11.

Pulling our 6500 pound travel trailer about 8

It's by far the best truck I've ever owned but it's also the newest so it should be the best truck. The reason I say it's the best truck is because it's never been to the shop other than to get the oil changed. I can't say that about the 4 Fords or 1 Chevy I've owned.

we have some large coal mines (electrical power stations) about 30 miles north of Bismarck (central North Dakota). Anyway, about 5 years ago they bought (2) new Toyota tundra's to put into their fleet to test out.

After two years the power company figured out the Tundra's had the lowest operating cost of any pickup (brand) they owned.

Last year, they replaced their entire fleet (40) Ford Pickups with (40) new Tundras.

A family friend is a Toyota Technician and told me this story over christmas. He also owns a very sweet 1977 F150 4x4; in mint condition!