Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommendations for a new wakeboard

VOLatile

I need help finding a new wakeboard. I haven't done a lot of wakeboarding in the last few years so the board I am currently riding is a 2005 Liquid Force fish 133. I like it pretty good and it seems to get pretty good pop off the wake but I'm sure the designs have come a long way since then. I am about 5'-10" around 180 and am an intermediate rider. I can do wake to wake jumps and try the easier inverts although all I can land is a tantrum. I would like to get a previous year model so I can justify all of the other things I "need" for the boat this year haha. Thanks for the advice!

I have a 2012 liquid force shane hybrid 142cm if you are interested. I got a new slingshot this year so it is sitting on my rack in the garage now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

That looks to be a pretty nice board, ill shoot you a PM. I am unfamiliar with the hybrid base stuff though. Will there be a noticeable trade off on the hybrid vs the traditional base? I haven't been to a cable park and I am kinda curious if I would even be able to tell the difference in the bases. I see you are in Knoxville. I am originally from the area and learned to wakeboard on the Tennesse river. I sure do miss the lakes there; TN definitely has a lot of the responsibility for my love of the water.

I rode a Fish for the last 4 years and I switched to a Hyperlite Franchise which I like (don't love). If I ordered a new board, I would go to either:

• Liquid Force Watson Classic (I used to ride this board and loved it. I ended up snapping one) $245 on Buywake
  • Byerly AR-1 (not many reviews but I like it)
  • Liquid Force Harley (rides high, quick release)
  • Hyperlite Murray or Liquid Force Trip or Super Trip

I never liked the Fish though. I liked it in the air, but the landings were brutal compared to the Franchise and Watson. They have pretty deep spines that help with landings in the flat.

Edited by Matty_gs

I rode a Fish for the last 4 years and I switched to a Hyperlite Franchise which I like (don't love). If I ordered a new board, I would go to either:

• Liquid Force Watson Classic (I used to ride this board and loved it. I ended up snapping one) $245 on Buywake
  • Byerly AR-1 (not many reviews but I like it)
  • Liquid Force Harley (rides high, quick release)
  • Hyperlite Murray or Liquid Force Trip or Super Trip
I never liked the Fish though. I liked it in the air, but the landings were brutal compared to the Franchise and Watson. They have pretty deep spines that help with landings in the flat.

I have had the LF Watson Classic for 2 years... Great board! Easy landings and great pop. You will definitely like it especially for the price you can pick one up. Based on your weight, you will probably want a 138. Good luck and have fun!

I have had the LF Watson Classic for 2 years... Great board! Easy landings and great pop. You will definitely like it especially for the price you can pick one up. Based on your weight, you will probably want a 138. Good luck and have fun!

Is it the carbon fiber one? Is it a 142cm? If so, I want to buy it. I want it as my boat board. I love that board....all though now I would never ride it. It is one of my favorite designs.

That looks to be a pretty nice board, ill shoot you a PM. I am unfamiliar with the hybrid base stuff though. Will there be a noticeable trade off on the hybrid vs the traditional base? I haven't been to a cable park and I am kinda curious if I would even be able to tell the difference in the bases. I see you are in Knoxville. I am originally from the area and learned to wakeboard on the Tennesse river. I sure do miss the lakes there; TN definitely has a lot of the responsibility for my love of the water.

It is a good board. I planned to use it at the cable park at terminus if I kept it. It doesn't make a good boat board cause it it pretty loose for the beginners. It tracks well and has good pop. It weighs the same as my new slingshot. The board has never seen the cable park. Like I said, I will cut you a good deal with maybe a return policy.

Is it the carbon fiber one? Is it a 142cm? If so, I want to buy it. I want it as my boat board. I love that board....all though now I would never ride it. It is one of my favorite designs.Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Mine is glass over poly core(2012 model)with removable center fin and quad built in fins. I believe this is the 2013 model... Great price.

http://www.buywake.com/wakeboards/liquid-force-watson-classic-134-12.htm?origin=product-search&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=comparsionshopping&aff=5110&gclid=CO_R08rv7bwCFc9lOgodfhIAlg

Mine is glass over poly core(2012 model)with removable center fin and quad built in fins. I believe this is the 2013 model... Great price.

http://www.buywake.com/wakeboards/liquid-force-watson-classic-134-12.htm?origin=product-search&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=comparsionshopping&aff=5110&gclid=CO_R08rv7bwCFc9lOgodfhIAlg

That is the 2012 that you linked to and the 142 is the one I want of that year model.

I wish more retailers would let you demo boards but I can understand their resistance. I've primarily ridden LF boards and tried the Slingshots (most recently the Hooke but found it too inconsistent). Am currently on the Ronix Code 22 - Dean Smiths board. I don't know anyone who rides as big as him. Crazy pop with this board. Board preferences are as subjective as music likes/dislikes so good luck with your search.

That is the 2012 that you linked to and the 142 is the one I want of that year model. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

My bad... Your right haha I have the 2011 Watson Classic which is 143. My son has the 2012 version 142. I'll check with him to see if he will part with it. He now has the Watson LTD which is what I have gone to as well.

My bad... Your right haha I have the 2011 Watson Classic which is 143. My son has the 2012 version 142. I'll check with him to see if he will part with it. He now has the Watson LTD which is what I have gone to as well.

Thanks. Let me know. I knew I should have snagged it up a year ago when I had the chance.

I have been riding the Ronix line for the past couple of years really like them a lot . Just upgraded mine end of last season and have a RONIX VIVA 136cm if interested . Sound like it might be a decent fit for you.

I bought a LF Witness 144 last year. After riding it, I doubt I'll ever buy a different board for boat riding. And this coming from a guy who never really liked Liquid Force stuff growing up. But this board does everything well. Hybrid rocker that rides plenty fast and still pops up, not out, at the wake. A 140 would probably work for you. I'm 6'3" 220.

I'd recommend finding a 2012 or 2013 (pretty easy to find online for cheap) if you're not doing any rail riding. The 2014's are only available with the Grind base which is heavier and doesn't have the option of a center fin (I don't ride with mine, but it's nice having the option).

The best way to pick a board, IMO, is to watch a board company's 2nd tier riders, the guys without pro models, and see what they choose to ride. They have the whole line to choose from. Almost all Liquid Force guys I've seen without their own board ride the Witness. Lafferty, Adam Fields, Gordon Harrison, etc.

I bought a LF Witness 144 last year. After riding it, I doubt I'll ever buy a different board for boat riding. And this coming from a guy who never really liked Liquid Force stuff growing up. But this board does everything well. Hybrid rocker that rides plenty fast and still pops up, not out, at the wake. A 140 would probably work for you. I'm 6'3" 220.

I'd recommend finding a 2012 or 2013 (pretty easy to find online for cheap) if you're not doing any rail riding. The 2014's are only available with the Grind base which is heavier and doesn't have the option of a center fin (I don't ride with mine, but it's nice having the option).

The best way to pick a board, IMO, is to watch a board company's 2nd tier riders, the guys without pro models, and see what they choose to ride. They have the whole line to choose from. Almost all Liquid Force guys I've seen without their own board ride the Witness. Lafferty, Adam Fields, Gordon Harrison, etc.

What specifically do you like about the Witness? I've never ridden it?

What specifically do you like about the Witness? I've never ridden it?

Pretty much everything. It's just super well rounded. Doesn't do any one thing (landings, speed, snap at the wake) great, but doesn't have a weakness either. Just kind of a jack of all trades. Predictable, loose when flat, good ollie board, digs in and picks up speed when you put it on edge, solid wake to wake pop, but you can still take it out to the flats easy enough. I usually prefer a continuous rocker for the speed to keep a big guy like me on top of the water, but the hybrid rocker gives me speed when I want it without having to sacrifice that upward pop feel at the wake. I'd compare it most closely with the Watson but maybe a tad faster. It's a board anyone could ride well. Everything just feels smooth.

Edited by aggie08

I picked up last year's Witness on Evo this weekend for pretty cheap so I will give it a try. I also bought some Ronix Preston bindings and am hoping I don't miss having the open toe bindings. And of course after I buy a lot of gear the temperatures drop back into the 30s. Yeah yeah I know some of you are in the REAL cold but this is cold for SC this time of the year!

I picked up last year's Witness on Evo this weekend for pretty cheap so I will give it a try. I also bought some Ronix Preston bindings and am hoping I don't miss having the open toe bindings. And of course after I buy a lot of gear the temperatures drop back into the 30s. Yeah yeah I know some of you are in the REAL cold but this is cold for SC this time of the year!

Once I went to closed toe bindings, it made me feel waaaaay more comfortable while throwing inverts. I know that sounds corny and fake, but it's true. I have chicken legs so it was always hard for me to tighten my bindings enough. On a few failed backroll attempts my feet slid forward out of my open toed bindngs (picture my shin nearly sticking out of the bottom of the bindings). When I went to closed toed, that all went away. I picked up some Ronix One's and love 'em. I'm not sure how they compare to the Preston, but I bet you'll be happy. I submerged my bindings in super hot bath water for about 5 minutes, then put my feet in them and tightened them up while walking around for about 10 minutes. It seemed help mold them to my feet.

• 3 months later...

whadup guys... I'm actually kinda new to malibu crew. I'm in search of an old LF Fish wakeboard, and stumbled across this forum in the process. If any of you guys talking about owning a Fish still has one in decent condition, and would be interested in selling it, please let me know!... Looking for a 133! Thanks in advance! happy riding!