Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing 'dead' carpet...there's no turning back now!

Intense

Per your request...updates!

This is really just an update about cost (A LOT!) and timing (TOO LOOOONG!)

Cost: quote was $1600 :cry: Yes, that sixteen hundred freakin' dollars. That being said, SeaDek was 1/3 to 1/2 as expensive (per sq ft) as any other faux teak product on the market. I also like the idea of SeaDek because it has some cushion and it doesn't get nearly as hot (per reviews). Also, the thought of going back to carpet never crossed my mind.

As a refresher, that basically my entire floor. Except for the rear storage lockers. My logic was, no one ever sees that area because they're covered up by fat sacs and other stuff anyways...but I digress.

Someone asked about the seat bases. No, I'm not re-covering those...I think $1600 is enough. lol But one of my main reason for replacing the carpet was because it was completely matted down from years of people walking on it, being wet, etc. The carpet on the seat bases don't have that problem. And I think (hope) the faux teak color I ordered will match the existing carpet on the seat bases.

Time: This is what's killing me WAY more than the cost. Originally, SeaDek quoted me 7-10 to generate the CAD drawing from when I submitted the pattern for me floor. And another 2-3 weeks to cut the pattern once I approved the drawing. A week after the initial submission, they sent me a letter saying it would be 4 weeks!! to produce the CAD drawing due to the volume of custom orders. I promptly confirmed that it would still be 2-3 week to cut the pattern once the drawings have been approved, which they confirmed. So....we'll see, but the wait is killing me. Right now, it doesn't look like I'll get my boat on the water until early June...if everything goes perfectly.

Good thing I have PLENTY of other projects on the boat that need to be addressed....this has been a VERY expensive spring...

Per your request...updates!

This is really just an update about cost (A LOT!) and timing (TOO LOOOONG!)

Cost: quote was $1600 :cry: Yes, that sixteen hundred freakin' dollars. That being said, SeaDek was 1/3 to 1/2 as expensive (per sq ft) as any other faux teak product on the market. I also like the idea of SeaDek because it has some cushion and it doesn't get nearly as hot (per reviews). Also, the thought of going back to carpet never crossed my mind.

As a refresher, that basically my entire floor. Except for the rear storage lockers. My logic was, no one ever sees that area because they're covered up by fat sacs and other stuff anyways...but I digress.

Someone asked about the seat bases. No, I'm not re-covering those...I think $1600 is enough. lol But one of my main reason for replacing the carpet was because it was completely matted down from years of people walking on it, being wet, etc. The carpet on the seat bases don't have that problem. And I think (hope) the faux teak color I ordered will match the existing carpet on the seat bases.

Time: This is what's killing me WAY more than the cost. Originally, SeaDek quoted me 7-10 to generate the CAD drawing from when I submitted the pattern for me floor. And another 2-3 weeks to cut the pattern once I approved the drawing. A week after the initial submission, they sent me a letter saying it would be 4 weeks!! to produce the CAD drawing due to the volume of custom orders. I promptly confirmed that it would still be 2-3 week to cut the pattern once the drawings have been approved, which they confirmed. So....we'll see, but the wait is killing me. Right now, it doesn't look like I'll get my boat on the water until early June...if everything goes perfectly.

Good thing I have PLENTY of other projects on the boat that need to be addressed....this has been a VERY expensive spring...

Maybe if you mentally subtract the cost of replacing the carpet from the SeaDek quote it will ease your mind some.

• Like 3

How do you keep the Seadek floor clean when its permanently adhered to the floor? Does it clean up easily? I am considering replacing my oem carpet, but I really like the removeable option to clean it outside the boat.

How do you keep the Seadek floor clean when its permanently adhered to the floor? Does it clean up easily? I am considering replacing my oem carpet, but I really like the removeable option to clean it outside the boat.

I suppose I'll just spray it down (or pressure wash it) the same way I cleaned the carpet. Having an 04, the whole snap-in carpet tub wasn't an option :( But I'm definitely getting it on my next 'bu!

$1600? Yikes, have you considered the Deckadence flooring? I think you could probably get that ordered for half the price.

So, looking at their site, it looks like their is intended to lay in on top of a pre-finished gel-coated floor. Which really isn't an option for me, since I just have bare fiberglass underneath what used to be carpet

I was most interested incost. That's about half of what I truly anticipated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone else had done this before me, they'd have the CAD drawings already on file. As such, I had to send in a template of my floor. Moving forward, anyone with the same generation boat (2004 23 LSV) should be able to call them and simply request they cut the same template.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had to tempate my swim deck. They said they got the existing drawings from Malibu, none of which matched.

I've dragged some pretty nasty things up on the deck, course arms for maintenance and logs. So far it's cleaned right up.

I've never been very good at attaching photos from my computer. If someone can host them for me, I'll post the PDF drawing they sent to me and another with my corrections/annotations.

formulaben

If someone else had done this before me, they'd have the CAD drawings already on file. As such, I had to send in a template of my floor. Moving forward, anyone with the same generation boat (2004 23 LSV) should be able to call them and simply request they cut the same template.

Can anyone confirm the 2002 floorplan is the same as the 2004?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you not do the middle bilge cover? Curious as to why or why not.

I did do the middle bilge cover, I just hadn't finished everything yet when I took the pic. I'll try to get more pics tonight or tomorrow.

• 4 months later...

Simply put the SeaDek is an impressive option but I about shat myself when I got a quote. Keep the pics coming though, impressive undertaking!