Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Portable vaccuum for everyday carpet maintenence?

Hi all,

We are new Wakesetter 23 LSV owners and loving it! We're looking for a suggestion for a small vaccuum cleaner that sucks up water/dirt and can plug into a cigarette lighter or hold a battery charge. I've looked through the carpet maintenece topic but couldn't find quite the right info.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! -lisa Biggrin.gif

Hi all,

We are new Wakesetter 23 LSV owners and loving it! We're looking for a suggestion for a small vaccuum cleaner that sucks up water/dirt and can plug into a cigarette lighter or hold a battery charge. I've looked through the carpet maintenece topic but couldn't find quite the right info.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! -lisa Biggrin.gif

This might work for you

I've been looking around myself to find a portable vac for our Bu. I found one at Costco for 60 bucks. It's a Bissell and is smaller and easier to store. I was wanting to find one to keep on my boat and this one fits perfectly into the battery compartment.

Kathy

I bought a 12 volt cannister vacuum to use in my boat. It is better than nothing, but almost worthless in my opinion. I then bought the rechargable dustbuster type vacuum. It is better, but I still find myself running the extension cord & using a real one.

Thanks for the suggestions! We store our boat in a garage without electricity, hence the need for a rechargable or cigarette lighter vaccuum. I'll take a look at costco or maybe go on line but other suggestions are always welcome too :)

thanks!!! -lisa

We bought a regular shop vac and got an inverter. Hook the inverter up to the battery of the tow vehicle, run an extension cord to the shop vac and you are G2G. :)

DeWalt makes an awesome cordless shop vac. I bought one last summer after an extensive buy and try program of numereous other rechargable and 12 volt vacumes. Its a 2 gallon shop vac and has as much suction as a corded shop vac. In fact, the deWalt will run on batteries or plug into a standard wall outlet. It is a little more pricy than the others (I paid $99) and it does not come with the batteries. The batteries are also expensive but it will run on any DeWalt batteries Luckily, I have a 14.4V DeWalt drill and use the batteries from that. It will run about 10 minutes on a charge. I highly recommend it. I use mine mainly for cleaning the pontoon. The kids always seem to make a mess on that boat. We generally don't bring snacks on the Response so that stays pretty clean all summer.

DeWalt makes an awesome cordless shop vac. I bought one last summer after an extensive buy and try program of numereous other rechargable and 12 volt vacumes. Its a 2 gallon shop vac and has as much suction as a corded shop vac. In fact, the deWalt will run on batteries or plug into a standard wall outlet. It is a little more pricy than the others (I paid $99) and it does not come with the batteries. The batteries are also expensive but it will run on any DeWalt batteries Luckily, I have a 14.4V DeWalt drill and use the batteries from that. It will run about 10 minutes on a charge. I highly recommend it. I use mine mainly for cleaning the pontoon. The kids always seem to make a mess on that boat. We generally don't bring snacks on the Response so that stays pretty clean all summer.

That's the best one. I've also tried a couple others & the Dewalt is far superior.

DeWalt make a couple of different vacuums. Does anyone know which one sucks better? Either the 1/2 gal or the 2 gal.

Kevin...

I went and tried out both DeWalt models. The larger 2 gallon version works much better than the smaller one. The only drawback is the size. The small one would be nice to store in the boat. I'm out shopping for the best price now.

So far the larger one is $89 without a battery or charger and the smaller one is $129 with a battery and charger. Home Depot has the 18 volt batteries for $110 in a 2 pack. Kevin...

We got a nice dewalt, but the accesories were freakin spendy so we took it back! Has anyone thought of just buying a longer hose to their shop vac in the garage? A nice 25 ft hose should get you all around the boat. I bet you could buy the hose at Home Depot or Lowes and the just hook it up to the vaccum.

We got a nice dewalt, but the accesories were freakin spendy so we took it back! Has anyone thought of just buying a longer hose to their shop vac in the garage? A nice 25 ft hose should get you all around the boat. I bet you could buy the hose at Home Depot or Lowes and the just hook it up to the vaccum.

That's what I did for detailing cars and boats at home but my hose is only 20' I got it online at http://www.totalvac.com/parts/shopvac125hoses.html I wish it was longer though. :(

I bought the DeWalt DC500 to use out at the dock or on the lake. I also found out it works great for inflating and deflating high volume/low pressure stuff like tubes just like a regular shop vac :)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm glad I found this thread.

I was considering trying out a Power inverter to convert the 12v outlet to a plug in outlet and use a regular shop vac.

Stewart,

A few questions:

1) Have you tried running the inverter on your boat's batteries? My boat lives on a lift during the summer, so it's nowhere near my tow vehicle.

2) Does the boat have to be running for it to work?

3) Does the inverter supply enough power for the vacuum to run at it's full power?

TIA for your help.

John

Edited by jshap

I was considering trying out a Power inverter to convert the 12v outlet to a plug in outlet and use a regular shop vac.

Stewart,

A few questions:

1) Have you tried running the inverter on your boat's batteries? My boat lives on a lift during the summer, so it's nowhere near my tow vehicle.

3) Does the inverter supply enough power for the vacuum to run at it's full power?

TIA for your help.

John

John. You don't have any outlets on your dock? Do you have your circuit breaker board down on the dock? Or is your lift not electric? Just curious. You could (if your board is down there) put a regular plug on the dock. That way you can use it for more than just the vaccum.

Stewart,

A few questions:

TIA for your help.

John

John. You don't have any outlets on your dock? Do you have your circuit breaker board down on the dock? Or is your lift not electric? Just curious. You could (if your board is down there) put a regular plug on the dock. That way you can use it for more than just the vaccum.

Unfortunately, there is no power on the docks. I have a battery powered lift with a solar recharging panel. So, I either have to go with an inverter/shop vac or one of the rechargable varieties. I've seen a 24V version with a 15-20 minute charge and a 2.5gallon tank and the DeWalt DC500 that everyone on this thread has talked about.

I'm just a little leary that a power inverter has enough oomph to power a 5-9amp shop vac. I never realized how much power those things draw until I started looking into it.

If you want to run a shop vac that is reasonably powerful, you will need an inverter that is expensive. Overtons sells one that is 2500W continuous and 5000W surge that will fit your needs. The downside is that it will use a lot of battery power and is somewhat expensive at $550. Your other option is a small portable generator that could be used at the dock. The generator will have it's pros and cons as well.

My boat stays at the dock and there is no power, so I got an Oreck XL Auto. It plugs into your 12V accessory outlet. It's handy to be able to clean up instantly whenever crumbs or dirt get on the carpet instead of having to haul down a cordless or pull the boat out to use a shop vac. The Oreck is $40.

My boat stays at the dock and there is no power, so I got an Oreck XL Auto. It plugs into your 12V accessory outlet. It's handy to be able to clean up instantly whenever crumbs or dirt get on the carpet instead of having to haul down a cordless or pull the boat out to use a shop vac. The Oreck is $40.

I ended up buying the DeWalt DC500. I haven't tried it on the boat yet, but the suction seems pretty good. What was interesting to me was that it seems to suck harder on battery power than when plugged in...go figure. I wanted something to suck up water too, so I went with a true wet/dry version.

I ended up buying the DeWalt DC500. I haven't tried it on the boat yet, but the suction seems pretty good. What was interesting to me was that it seems to suck harder on battery power than when plugged in...go figure. I wanted something to suck up water too, so I went with a true wet/dry version.

Yeah, if you want a wet/dry vac or something that will suck up every last piece of dirt then you will have to do more work. The Oreck XL Auto is just for picking up obvious messes quickly using 12V boat power.