Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Late 90's sunsetter sub enclosure

longbeard

I am about to install a sub under the dash and wondering if anyone had done it on a late 90's sunsetter. Has anyone made a carpeted kick-plate to go under there? How did it turn out? Wondering how it looks with that non skid stuff that is under the drivers feet in our era boat. Any pictures you have would be appreciated.

Edited by Wolfgangred

In my 97 Sunsetter I had a box that was abotu 1.34 Ft3 sittin on top of a panel that rested on the hump and l bracketed into the back wall. Back wall is angeled so there was a little bit of cutting skill involved.

Let me see if I can find the box plans.

I will be looking for a solution as well to put into my in-laws new-to-them 99 SSLXI, that I will going to pick up in St Louis on Saturday. I have two extra loaded sub boxes(a 12" and a 10"), and I am hoping one of them will fit up in that spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know what you guys come up with. I'm looking at adding a sub in that spot in my 2002 SSLXI.

You've got some great installers in that area. If you're interested in having one built rather than doing it yourself I can point you to some guys that I trust. We all worked at the same shop a few years ago.

• 1 month later...

Just finished my sub enclosure, it sits in front of the hump. Still leaves plenty of room for my feet. I am able to fasten it to the side walls. I will take some pics of it installed if it ever quits raining.

4d5757d0-efd8-4bf6-aa02-873343f64833_zps

Edited by Wolfgangred

I have a '98 Sunsetter LX and currently the Sub is in the observers compartment. I would like to move to the area under the drivers console. I'm thinking of using some SS "L" brackets to mount it on the hump. Is there a cable chase or similar that will allow me to run the wire from my amp (in the observers compartment) across the boat to the Sub? If not, how do you run the wires?

I ran the wires around the bow of the boat, just tucked them out of the way with some flexlume. Here is a picture of mine mounted.

e7e804e9-d814-45f2-8f5e-3da4335a82d4_zps

• 4 weeks later...

Longbeard,

Does that box not get in the way of your feet? I am wanting to build a box for my '94 Sunsetter (very similar floor) and this is the first box I have seen under the driver's console for these boats.

It actually doesn't. I was afraid of that too, but when I started looking with my seat in my normal driving position, I have plenty of room. Actually now that i have used the boat a few times with the sub in place, it's pretty comfortable to prop my feet against the box. It is worth it too, the kids and wife have really been enjoying the extra oomf the sub gives the stereo while driving. We can hear everything loud and clear now.

It actually doesn't. I was afraid of that too, but when I started looking with my seat in my normal driving position, I have plenty of room. Actually now that i have used the boat a few times with the sub in place, it's pretty comfortable to prop my feet against the box. It is worth it too, the kids and wife have really been enjoying the extra oomf the sub gives the stereo while driving. We can hear everything loud and clear now.

How did you secure the sub in place? I just installed a new system and securing the sub is the final thing I'm working on.

So in my boat it had a carpeted useless little pocket that was screwed in under the dash. I removed this and kept the screws that it was fastened with. My sub box wood was the same thickness as this pocket, so I just used those screws to fasten it to the side wall, and I knew since something was already there of the same thickness that these screws would not bust a hole in the gelcoat of the walkway.

• 3 weeks later...

Have speaker under dash Im working on now. Sounds great just need to finish up somethings. I mounted it to foot rest. There is plenty of room under there, even with heater. Also put one in observer compartment with amp rack.

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 4/9/2014 at 12:26 PM, longbeard said:

I ran the wires around the bow of the boat, just tucked them out of the way with some flexlume. Here is a picture of mine mounted.

e7e804e9-d814-45f2-8f5e-3da4335a82d4_zps

Old post but i take it that white floor or the kick panel in the back wasnt easily removed?