Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bilge pump

Is it just me or what?

Took our brand new Sunscape (21.5) out over last weekend to get some hours on it before it is warm enough to ski. It was too rough but i went for a run around the bay anyway and we took some water over the bow (okay, quite a bit of water with about three separate waves) - not a major issue, want back into the marina and let it drain from the ski locker (which was pretty full) into the bilge area.

There was a couple inches of whater in the bilge, touching the V-drive and the bilge pump mounted back by the rudder box wasn't even getting wet?? This doesn't make sense, I'd have to have 50 gallons of water before the pump was able to pump anything out. I had to vacuum and bail it out.

Anyone else notice this? (or am i the only one stupid enough to get that much water in my boat?) I talked to one of the sales guys at the dealer when I dropped off a prop I owed them and he didn't offer too much except to acknowledge that they are mounted kind of high. I am thinking I should mount another one somewhat lower in front of the v-drive or in the ski locker or both as when we boat the boat stays in the water for a couple weeks at a time.

Appreciate any thoughts.

They mount the pump at the back like that because when you take off, or are under way with even the slightest bit of bow rise, all of the water goes to the back. So if the pump is too far forward in the boat, you would have quite a bit of water trapped behind the pump while moving around. Your idea of adding another pump further forward is a good idea as a backup pump, but I wouldn't move the original pump. I'm thinking of adding a 2nd pump too. The auto feature of my original pump failed on me, and it became obvious after my driveshaft seal started leaking. I replaced the pump, but am thinking of adding a 2nd for insurance.

What vette-ski says makes sense but I think they mount it in the back for a different reason. I think it's there because it was the best place they could put it and still have easy access to it and it not getting in the way of the engine or v-drive. This is the reason it is mounted right in front of the engine on a direct drive and not it the back. Using vette-ski's theory, the bilge pump should be mounted in the back on a DD also.

I agree with him that you should mount a second one if you can find a good spot for it. I prefer to have the bilge pump located where it will run with the boat dead in the water. That is the position it will probably be in if you REALLY need the bilge pump.

Is it just me or what?

Took our brand new Sunscape (21.5) out over last weekend to get some hours on it before it is warm enough to ski. It was too rough but i went for a run around the bay anyway and we took some water over the bow (okay, quite a bit of water with about three separate waves) - not a major issue, want back into the marina and let it drain from the ski locker (which was pretty full) into the bilge area.

There was a couple inches of whater in the bilge, touching the V-drive and the bilge pump mounted back by the rudder box wasn't even getting wet?? This doesn't make sense, I'd have to have 50 gallons of water before the pump was able to pump anything out. I had to vacuum and bail it out.

Anyone else notice this? (or am i the only one stupid enough to get that much water in my boat?) I talked to one of the sales guys at the dealer when I dropped off a prop I owed them and he didn't offer too much except to acknowledge that they are mounted kind of high. I am thinking I should mount another one somewhat lower in front of the v-drive or in the ski locker or both as when we boat the boat stays in the water for a couple weeks at a time.

Appreciate any thoughts.

I agree with you, it is a lousy place to put the bilge pump. I think they put it there cause they could screw it down there whereas they could not screw it down if is was sitting directly on the hull (lowest spot). I would like to move mine but haven't figured out how to secure it to the hull.

On my new 06 LSV and the other new 06s I have looked at that my dealer has, they are mounting they it in the middle of the boat between the gas and mid-ballast. When sitting still that is where most of the water settles, but under way it all goes to the back. Not sure where is better?

The best place for a bildge pump is in the lowest point while the boat is at rest. Malibu seems to place them there in their DDs. I'd say they place them in the rear on the VDs as it is convenient for installation.

• 1 year later...

i have same problem and concerns with my 05 vride . the water has to get so deep before the pump kicks on that it spills into my rear compartments on turns

Our direct drive had it mounted at the rear against the transom, as does our current VLX. Anyone know if it would be kosher to wire up a second small ballast pump directly to the same switch? The draw wouldn't be much, but it might be enough combined with the other pump to consistently trip the breaker. Thoughts?

Wakegirl your 06 VLX has the bilge pump is by the transom?? My 06 VLX has it mounted midship under a floor hatch. It is perfect cause while sitting still it is the lowest point in the hull. Just curious if they made a change in location mid 06.

Yes it is mounted on the transom. It's more likely that it's a difference between the 2 factories, or possibly between people doing the job, or a change in the tides or the state of the moon....you never can tell with them. Things like this are so un-standardized & can differ even between 2 boats of the same model that were built within days of one another in the same plant.

Yes it is mounted on the transom. It's more likely that it's a difference between the 2 factories, or possibly between people doing the job, or a change in the tides or the state of the moon....you never can tell with them. Things like this are so un-standardized & can differ even between 2 boats of the same model that were built within days of one another in the same plant.

Mine is in the center, early 06 build date from TN plant.