Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift Capacity

TruNorth

I am going to piggy back this topic

What about a craftlander 4500 handling my new LSV?

That's pushing it a bit since the new LSV has a dry weight of 4500 pounds. Just a full tank of gas would put you 300 pounds over capacity...

I have my lsv on a 4400lb Hewitt hydraulic lift and it's never been close to a problem. I was also told the only thing a heavier boat will do is drain my lift battery down faster that I may not get as many up and downs in a day. Never been stuck and still on original 4 year old battery.

Right but if I am consistently running 5000 lbs what is the worst that can happen? A cable snap?

Have you ever seen that happen? It's fast & scary and gives no warning. A boat free falling 2 or 3 feet can hurt a lot of people. Not worth the risk.

Have you ever seen that happen? It's fast & scary and gives no warning. A boat free falling 2 or 3 feet can hurt a lot of people. Not worth the risk.

I have to agree with this. It happened to me last season. Not because my hoist is underrated, simply due to age (bought the lift used and should have replaced the cable when I bought it). Cable snapped on the way down with me, and my buddies kid in the boat getting ready. We only free fell about 12", so it wasn't bad and could have been much worse.

I need some information here other than "I wouldn't risk it"

I have a 4500 lb capacity lift and my boat will probably run around 5K realistically as I will try to minimize weight and I live on the lake.

Is there really any danger other than wearing out the motor faster or needing a new cable every season? is it really more dangerous to run 500 lb over capacity with a new cable very season than running a 5 year old cable within "capacity"?

Has anyone had a new cable actually snap when running over capacity? Every snap I have heard of is an old cable within capacity

My hoist guy gets me the strongest galvanized cable he can get and I replace it yearly (started this after the first cable snap).

If it means spending an extra 60 bucks seasonally for a cable and possibly a motor replacement a year sooner I would prefer that over buying a new lift.

Any other issues here?

Edited by DocPhil

I need some information here other than "I wouldn't risk it"

I have a 4500 lb capacity lift and my boat will probably run around 5K realistically as I will try to minimize weight and I live on the lake.

Is there really any danger other than wearing out the motor faster or needing a new cable every season? is it really more dangerous to run 500 lb over capacity with a new cable very season than running a 5 year old cable within "capacity"?

Has anyone had a new cable actually snap when running over capacity? Every snap I have heard of is an old cable within capacity

My hoist guy gets me the strongest galvanized cable he can get and I replace it yearly (started this after the first cable snap).

If it means spending an extra 60 bucks seasonally for a cable and possibly a motor replacement a year sooner I would prefer that over buying a new lift.

Any other issues here?

Good points Doc. I didn't realize you were watching your cable that closely. If you are replacing it annually, I'd say you're fine. I'm surprised with the galvanized though, I thought they were all stainless. I run a 5/8" cable on my 3600lb lift, I think 1/4" was standard. I'd say find out what your cable size is and go up one if you can.

Edit: 3/8" cable, not 5/8"

Edited by Michigan boarder

The cable size is an interesting concept, looking at the larger capacity lifts other than actual size, the cable size is also larger. Is it possible to change out the cable to a larger diameter ? I imagine pulleys would also need to be resized. This has got to be a more cost effective than trading up to a heavier more expensive lift!

Have you talked to the lift manufacture directly? I know we are all experts here but the manufacture should know the best. I know when I phoned mine they were straight up.

can it do it? Probably. Is it worth the risks? No way in heck, not too me. You can sell that lift used for a good price, and buy a new bigger capacity one for probably only a grand, maybe two more than what you are selling the used one for. Logistics to remove and install the new lift might not be easy, but in the long run worth it for a 100K boat and the possibility of injuring or killing someone. Cable breaks happen, and can be very dangerous. The liability of being fully aware that you are now over capacity..

Feighner Hydromax lifts that Rmack mentioned are becoming very popular. No cranking, safer and more reliable (no cables to break). I love mine.

can it do it? Probably. Is it worth the risks? No way in heck, not too me. You can sell that lift used for a good price, and buy a new bigger capacity one for probably only a grand, maybe two more than what you are selling the used one for. Logistics to remove and install the new lift might not be easy, but in the long run worth it for a 100K boat and the possibility of injuring or killing someone. Cable breaks happen, and can be very dangerous. The liability of being fully aware that you are now over capacity..

Feighner Hydromax lifts that Rmack mentioned are becoming very popular. No cranking, safer and more reliable (no cables to break). I love mine.

I appreciate the advice but that is too simplistic of an explanation for me.

Lift says 4500 so anything more than that and you will kill someone!!

I don't buy it. I need to know how much 500 lbs really makes a difference.

What is the 4500? The cable? the hoist itself? If it is just the cable then I will swap out the pulleys and change out a bigger cable for 300 bucks.

I need someone that has more knowledge of the lifts. Like I said before, advice to switch it out just to be safe is not helpful.

I have talked with shorestation and hydromax before I purchased my new hoist. Both told me the hoist will actually hold approximately 1000 lbs more than the rating, although they don't recommend pushing it to the max.

You also have to look at the wench tube size. You may want to upgrade the wench tube and cable just to be safe.

Overall, you should be fine.

I had a shorestation rated for 3000lbs. My 2000 lsv was on it for 5 years. It weighed in at 3500lbs

I have talked with shorestation and hydromax before I purchased my new hoist. Both told me the hoist will actually hold approximately 1000 lbs more than the rating, although they don't recommend pushing it to the max.

You also have to look at the wench tube size. You may want to upgrade the wench tube and cable just to be safe.

Overall, you should be fine.

I had a shorestation rated for 3000lbs. My 2000 lsv was on it for 5 years. It weighed in at 3500lbs

Thanks. That is helpful

I will talk to craftlander

Thanks. That is helpful

I will talk to craftlander

Personally I would sell the hoist in early spring, and upgrade to a hydraulic lift now. There are a lot of factors that go into the weight capacity, including the distribution meaning if you are rated for 4500 lbs that means that you should have 2250 on the front and back of the hoist. I think the real danger can be more than a cable snapping it can be your cradle snapping in half and ruining your boat. I had this happen to my four winns boat about 8 years ago, it was a messy situation... In actuality the engine weight is being carried by the back of the cradle and majority of the boat weight itself is being loaded on the back of the cradle, so you are probably overloading the hoist by more than you expect.

I had a shorestation 4000 lb hoist with my 08 LSV, did it work, yes but was I really scared it was going to snap one day, yes. End of the day for $5k for a 5500lb hydraulic lift from captains choice in Lansing you can't go wrong. In fact, now there is no motor with electric cords, just a pump and solar panel, no more cables just 2 hydraulic lines... You are buying peace of mind and ease.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Personally I would sell the hoist in early spring, and upgrade to a hydraulic lift now. There are a lot of factors that go into the weight capacity, including the distribution meaning if you are rated for 4500 lbs that means that you should have 2250 on the front and back of the hoist. I think the real danger can be more than a cable snapping it can be your cradle snapping in half and ruining your boat. I had this happen to my four winns boat about 8 years ago, it was a messy situation... In actuality the engine weight is being carried by the back of the cradle and majority of the boat weight itself is being loaded on the back of the cradle, so you are probably overloading the hoist by more than you expect.

I had a shorestation 4000 lb hoist with my 08 LSV, did it work, yes but was I really scared it was going to snap one day, yes. End of the day for $5k for a 5500lb hydraulic lift from captains choice in Lansing you can't go wrong. In fact, now there is no motor with electric cords, just a pump and solar panel, no more cables just 2 hydraulic lines... You are buying peace of mind and ease.

Let me know if you have any questions...

That's a great point. I never really thought about it like this, but I think you're correct when considering a VD boat. With us DD guys, I think the equal distribution of weight is a much less significant matter.

Am I pushing it to expect my Flow V-4600 lift to be expected to handle a 2006 VLX?

Only if you go over the manufacturer's recommended weight limit. It's rated at 4600lbs for a reason.