Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Launch Ramp Fun

jetskipro550

So today we were at the lake, we had already launched chadellts boat and it was in its slip. We were one side of the launch getting ready to unload his jet ski when I notice an older couple struggling with their sail boat. We asked them if they needed any help and if they had it all under control and they refused it (in a fairly rude way too). About a minute goes by as we are just watching them try to figure out what to do Crazy.gif . The husband begins to take off the safety chains, unlatch from the ball, and crank up the trailer jack. We all look at each other and say, "He isn't..." before we can even say anything, his boat and trailer are speeding down the ramp ROFL.gif

This dumb a$$ had NO idea what he was doing....NONE! We ran over there and tried to catch his boat before it floated into another boat tied off on the dock. Chad jumped into the water and my other friend and I ran to hold the boat near the dock. We un-did the boat from the trailer and then helped the old people, along with some fishermen, pull the trailer back up the ramp. Once we tied their boat off and hooked their trailer back up to their truck they thanked us and we walked behind my friends truck and just started busting up :lol::lol::lol:

We stayed at the lake for another hour or two and watched those people try to start their outboard engine, try to back the trailer down the water, and then finally pull the boat out of the water ROFL.gif They were so clue less, it was so funny. I just wish that I had had my camera on me!!! It was a classic wally moment Crazy.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlastRlxi

• Baddog

• jetskipro550

• srud

So today we were at the lake, we had already launched chadellts boat and it was in its slip. We were one side of the launch getting ready to unload his jet ski when I notice an older couple struggling with their sail boat. We asked them if they needed any help and if they had it all under control and they refused it (in a fairly rude way too). About a minute goes by as we are just watching them try to figure out what to do Crazy.gif . The husband begins to take off the safety chains, unlatch from the ball, and crank up the trailer jack. We all look at each other and say, "He isn't..." before we can even say anything, his boat and trailer are speeding down the ramp ROFL.gif

I still can't believe you don't get it.

Everyone else knows that people associated with lake lice in any way have NO IDEA what they are doing. That's obviously why they refused your service, not wanting to put themselves in an even worse position with advice from a jetskipro.

Tease.gifTongue.gifTease2.gif

I still can't believe you don't get it.

Everyone else knows that people associated with lake lice in any way have NO IDEA what they are doing. That's obviously why they refused your service, not wanting to put themselves in an even worse position with advice from a jetskipro.

Brutal.

Ya, I'm sorry. After reading that again, it does sound brutal.

I really am teasing.

Sorry jetskipro. You just make it so easy. :) Please don't take it personal. I have to admit, I'd love to have a standup 550.

Kudos to you for helping those guys even after they snubbed you.

Ya, I'm sorry. After reading that again, it does sound brutal.

I really am teasing.

Sorry jetskipro. You just make it so easy. :) Please don't take it personal. I have to admit, I'd love to have a standup 550.

Kudos to you for helping those guys even after they snubbed you.

No Worries :) Plus, the jet ski isn't mine....I don't own one Tongue.gif

hey JET!!!!!!! You wish you had a ski still. And just so everybody knows, Jetskipro had two jetskis before the boat. He was a real lake lice. See ya in the am for an early morining Run!

I was never a lake lice. I always kept at least 10ft back from skiers/boarders in tow and at least 5 feet from the bow and stern of boats Crazy.gif

I just got off work and getting up for the early run isn't looking too appealing...I'll be there Frustrated.gif

It's that time of year again when all the first time boat owners come to the lake for the first time without doing any research and try to launch their boats. It's funny that they never want any help.

My favorite was a guy and his family who brought their new waverunner to the lake. They had been out for awhile and it was time to pull it back on it's trailer. So the guy's wife and 3 of their 4 kids (the fourth was on the waverunner with dad) go up to get the car. She straps the 3 kids in the back and tries to back the car with trailer down the ramp. Of course, she has no idea how to do it without jackknifing the trailer. I was one back in line and I could hear her cursing even though she had the windows up in her car. She finally gets so mad that she throws the car into park right in the middle of the ramp area (effectively blocking all lanes from exiting or entering the ramp), leaves her 3 kids in the car and proceeds to head down to the water's edge to yell at her husband. Meanwhile the patrol officers from the Ohio Division of Watercraft arrive to launch their boat and come over to see what the hold up is. They meet this woman at the end of the dock as her husband and other child are idling into the launch area. The guy on the waverunner is having difficulty balancing on his new waverunner and ends up falling into the water about 20 feet from the dock. So there's this guy, his wife is screaming at him, he and his daughter are in the water as other boats are moving around him, his car with the other 3 kids are on the ramp blocking everyone else from entering or leaving and the officer from the ODW is yelling at him that he is in a no swimming area and that if he doesn't get out this instant, she is giving him a ticket!!!

The guy that was in line in front of me offered to help her but was refused. You gotta love Spring.

I really think last year is going to be tough to top for me.

1.) I saw a guy drive this car into the water. He thought he was Drive but was really in reverse; ended up submurging his SUV up to his front wheel wells.

2.) Saw a boat have the winch snap (and had the roller trailer guides) and didn't lock the safety chain before pulling forward. Needless to say, the rear of the boat ended up on the launch ramp.

Almost forgot - yesterday was my first day out for the season. Coming in last night, I had an older I/O flag me down. The guy's belt had snapped on his engine. I ended up towing him back to the launch. He seemed appreciative and this didn't seem to be his fault. Lucky for him I stopped, I was the only other boat on the water (it was 7:30 PM so it was almost dark).

last year when we had our chapperal it was early in the year and i had gone to work my wife and kids were staying at the lake (state park) just kicken back enjoying a quiet day and the park ranger came over to ask my wife if she could help we pull the boat with my ford dually 4x4 this guy was unloading his boat and his girl friend forgot to put his truck in park needles to say his boat ..trailer and truck were all in the lake truck up to the doors the ranger said because of liabality they could not do a thing. so my wife and kids then 4-8 get into my dually go down hook up tow rope and pull his whole rig out of the lake the ranger could not belive his eyes . it was cool to get on the rangers good side but the guy told my wife he would pay her 20.00 and when done boating he never paid her or said thanks ..... what a guy

I saw one yesterday that didn't even make it to the lake yet. Appeared to be a brand spanking new bayliner. Guess he decided to swing by the local K-mart before hitting the lake. Apparently he forgot he was pulling a trailer and turned a corner way too sharp. Trailer whacked a curb and hopped over the median, knocking his axle out of its seat and sitting crooked on the trailer. Needless to say, he couldn't pull the trailer anywhere until it was fixed. Ended up blocking the main access road to the shopping center for a while. Later I saw a mechanic from the local bayliner dealer with several jacks and wrenches trying to fix it for him.

Ok, this may be painful for some to listen too. Sorry for the length in advance.

Just after the boat show we were up for a day of skiing (about 35 air and 32 water). We were just pulling out , drying the boat, when we heard the awful sound of fiberglass grinding, along with metal.

We looked up a very steep/long ramp to see an io sitting on the ramp with a family all just looking at it.

We ran up to see if we could help. We found that all family members were just doing thier assigned job.

Problem was that the new boat had a roller trailer instead of a bunk one. Little johnny's job was to unhook the eye hook. When they started to back and hit the brakes the boat just slid off. Bad enough right!!!

They politely declined our help saying they would take care of things so we went off to finish drying the boat and preparing for a good laugh. Then came something none of us expected. Dad had mom back up the trailer to the front of the boat. All of a sudden he yelled "go" !!! They tried to actually back under the boat without hooking it up. The boat went up onto the trailer about half way the picked up speed and slid about 100yds down the ramp. (The water goes wayyyyyy down in the winter.) At this point we had to go help . We helped them load the boat onto the trailer and thought it was all over. Then to our surprize they backed past us on the ramp. We asked what they were doing, and they replied that they were going boating. They had just lost about an inch of glass on the keel and did not seem to think that was a problem. The last we saw of them they were just cruising down the lake. hmmmmm I wonder how that turned out.

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

Ok, this may be painful for some to listen too. Sorry for the length in advance.

Just after the boat show we were up for a day of skiing (about 35 air and 32 water). We were just pulling out , drying the boat, when we heard the awful sound of fiberglass grinding, along with metal.

We looked up a very steep/long ramp to see an io sitting on the ramp with a family all just looking at it.

We ran up to see if we could help. We found that all family members were just doing thier assigned job.

Problem was that the new boat had a roller trailer instead of a bunk one. Little johnny's job was to unhook the eye hook. When they started to back and hit the brakes the boat just slid off. Bad enough right!!!

They politely declined our help saying they would take care of things so we went off to finish drying the boat and preparing for a good laugh. Then came something none of us expected. Dad had mom back up the trailer to the front of the boat. All of a sudden he yelled "go" !!! They tried to actually back under the boat without hooking it up. The boat went up onto the trailer about half way the picked up speed and slid about 100yds down the ramp. (The water goes wayyyyyy down in the winter.) At this point we had to go help . We helped them load the boat onto the trailer and thought it was all over. Then to our surprize they backed past us on the ramp. We asked what they were doing, and they replied that they were going boating. They had just lost about an inch of glass on the keel and did not seem to think that was a problem. The last we saw of them they were just cruising down the lake. hmmmmm I wonder how that turned out.

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

WOW ROFL.gif Come on kids....... We're a going tubing!!! Crazy.gifCrazy.gif

Edited by Henken

One place that we normally go to locally used to have bleachers at their ramp. At first I wondered what for when we first started going there and on a weekend we totally got it. We also have a favorite place we like to camp and our sites have a show view of the launch ramp that has more stories than one can tell. We just sit there eating dinner and watch the divorces develop. :lol:

Just after the boat show we were up for a day of skiing (about 35 air and 32 water).

I hope that's either snow skiing your talking about or you favor the celsius scale!! Biggrin.gif

Why is it that the doofuses who need it the most, are most loud about refusing well intentioned help?

Gotta think Darwin spent a bit of time at the ramp before finalizing his ideas on natural selection.

When I was a kid, we lived at a lake that had a really wide launch ramp that fed directly onto a very large open blacktop parking lot. My friends and I would hang out there and watch the launch ramp fun all the time. The parking had a lot of trees growing in it and they just laid the blacktop around them. Well, one day there was this really hot babe in a bathing suit walking along the ramp as I saw a dude cruising across the parking lot in his car. He was just about hanging out his window with a big grin on his face and cut loose with a whistle when he T-boned one of the trees at about 25 mph. We just about busted a gut laughing and ran up there. The guys face was all bloody from a busted nose and we gathered around pointing at him and laughing ourselves blind. I guess he was pretty imbarrased because after he regained his senses he kind of laughed at himself too. He backed off the tree and drove away with us kids still laughing. I'm still laughing and its 39 years later... :lol:

(PS...were we mean to laugh at him like that?)

About a week ago, I went for a ride over to the coast to get some seafood, and the place I go has a public boat ramp. I made sure I got there before dusk to watch some boat ramp fun. I was not dissappointed. The first people to load went like this:

Guy backs his trailer down the ramp. This is a big boat with dual V-8 outboards, probably around 27 feet or so. His wife, to her credit, idles the boat up the trailer very well, properly centered, good speed, etc. She gives it a little juice and the bow eye of the boat comes to rest maybe 18" or so away from the front v-guide, at which point she kills the engines and starts to trim up the motors. I thought she did a great job.

Well her husband, not being happy with having to winch a foot or so, starts yelling at her to come up the trailer more. So she lowers the engines, cranks them up and starts adding power but the boats not moving. I guess she got sick of listening to hubby scream at her at a public ramp so she guns it. The boat made it to the v-guide, then proceeded to bend the whole beam the guide was attached to forward by about a foot, the very front of the boat almost making contact with his tailgate, him jumping out of the way as he was standing on the trailer and almost got pinned.

AS they pulled up to the tie down area, still screaming at each other, I saw the temporary tag on the trailer...

Edited by rts