Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Brake Fluid in the trailer

Since I had my brakes done a few years back, I've only checked that the fluid level was right.

Does anyone ever drain this stuff and replace it?

Sure,

Can't hurt. And, if you've got a UFP square coupler/actuator, the body of the master cylinder is iron or steel and seems to develope rust inside.

Just make sure you don't mix different brake fluids. My D.H.M. takes DOT 5 (the good stuff) While, I just talked to Extreme and they use DOT 3.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Off topic:

Pete, we have basically the same trailer and I have a question about your brakes. Our trailer never really has stopped very well but I have nothing to compare it to. A few weeks ago I got it out of storage and everytime I stopped or slowed down, the trailer would hesitate and then surge really abruptly, jerking the whole car??? Also, when starting from a dead stop, even as I eased into going the trailer would lag for a second and then jerk violently....any ideas why this would be? Should I or can I grease something? I know very little about trailers.

On Topic:

Patrick,

Sounds like your brakes have issues. First, do you have 2 disc brakes?

Second, the only way I can kinda guage how the brakes are performing on a trailer is by disconnecting the wiring harness so that there is no reverse lock-out, then back the trailer up a hill such as a driveway. The trailer should really fight you in reverse. Also the sliding pin that moves fore and aft about 1.5" should not go all the way to the rear in the slot that it rides in. Get me?

C'mon Greg,

Air in the lines would make the brakes much less effective. Not make it harder to back up a trailer w/o a lock out device. Low fluid isn't going to do anything but, maybe introduce air in the system.

And a brake liner? Where'd you get that from? Is that like a Rhino lining or Line-x for the inside of the brake lines? Now that would cause some problems. Crazy.gif

This is how I came up with those.

1 I have to a**sume

2 Disc brakes or drum? I know it has brakes on 1 axle.

3 the slamming of the brake accuator. Why? this is where I came up with the idea that some place in the brake system there is "slake" brakes out of adj, air in line.

never really has stopped very well
If he has been backing up the drive way for some time the liner will wear at a great rate.

4 Air in the line would let the trailer slam on braking and take off, but compress (for a lack of a better word) when backing up and putting on the brakes.

5 Ok you want to go off the wall with an idea. what about this, the ball and or hitch has a great amount of wear and letting it slam. The accuator assy has worn parts. The receiver on the vehicle is lose. These are all things I have seen.

I'm more of a see it touch it kind of guy. Thanks for calling me out Pete, Thumbup.gif you always make me put on my thinking cap. Yahoo.gif

C'mon Greg,

Air in the lines would make the brakes much less effective. Not make it harder to back up a trailer w/o a lock out device. Low fluid isn't going to do anything but, maybe introduce air in the system.

And a brake liner? Where'd you get that from? Is that like a Rhino lining or Line-x for the inside of the brake lines? Now that would cause some problems. Crazy.gif

Line -x will guaranty that things will not slide around in your truck bed so why not have it for your brakes? Best stopping power ever. ROFL.gif

You're right!

Maybe Line-x should get into making brake pads and rotors. Think of the stopping power of a rough surfaced brake pad against a rough surfaced rotor. Probably stop on a dime and give you .09 change.