Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

testing spark plugs

whats the way you guys check to see if your getting spark at your plugs. My bu isnt running and the weather is perfect. It ran last summer and then i go to crank it up and nothing except the engine turning over.

take the spark plug out of the head and hook it up to the plug wire. ground out the threads and turn the engine over. If you look at the plug while cranking it you will see a spark jump from the electrode.

Later

LT

Check the tether, thats the most common problem. pull it out & reinstall it & cross your fingers. To check spark without a tester, pull a plug wire off of a plug & stick a screwdriver in the plug boot. Lay the metal part of the screwdriver 1/4" or so from an unpainted metal surface of the engine not near a gas source. Have someone crank the engine while you watch for a spark between the screwdriver & the engines metal surface.

The best way to check spark is to stick a screw driver in the plug wire boot, hold on to the metal part of the screw driver putting the other hand on the engine and have someone crank the engine over. After the engine is cranked if you are jumping around shacking your arm you have good spark.

(The best way to check spark is to stick a screw driver in the plug wire boot, hold on to the metal part of the screw driver putting the other hand on the engine and have someone crank the engine over. After the engine is cranked if you are jumping around shacking your arm you have good spark.) Fingerwag.gifROFL.gif

ROFLOL I guess that is another way of doing it

Or, if you don't have a screwdriver handy, just put your tongue into the plug wire boot & crank the engine, if you don't wet your pants, you don't have spark. Crazy.gif

LOL maybe I can jus do the screwdriver way or maybe I could get one of my friends drunk enough to try the tongue trick who knows LOL as long as I can see if their is a spark I dont care which method is used

LOL maybe I can jus do the screwdriver way or maybe I could get one of my friends drunk enough to try the tongue trick who knows LOL as long as I can see if their is a spark I dont care which method is used

try the kill switch/tether first that is what is sounds like...good luck

I have a 1989 malibu sunsetter if there is a kill switch im not aware of it. Anyone konw if this boat does have one cause id be stoked if thas all it was.