Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finding tow capacity on used vehicle

vaporbluebu

I'm looking at a 2010 suburban as a new tow vehicle for our LSV. I've looked on lots of websites trying to find the tow capacity, but all they say is Max Tow Capapcity 7900 if properly equipped. The one I am looking at does not have the upgraded tow package, so how do I find out what its true tow capacity is? 5.3 engine, 4X4, with 3.08 rear axel. Thanks for any help!

8000 according to this:

http://www.onlinetowingguide.com/guidelines/towing_capacities.html

According to this, 3.08 is only available on a 2WD; 3.42 would be the standard on 4WD and would be 5400 without the tow package. That's just cooling packages (likely tranny and perhaps oil and/or power steering), all which are easily and fairly cheaply added aftermarket. With package, it would be 7900.

http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DigitalTLTowGuide2010i.pdf

This database also indicates the 3.08 gear is not available in 4WD and only 2WD.

http://www.campinglife.com/tow-ratings-database/

Adding that stuff was going to be my next question. I found a site that said the upgraded package was only a $230 option. If that is what the manufacturer chargers it can't be that expensive to have done. I just wasn't sure if it was possible to add later. Looks like I need to find out what axel it really has.

• Like 1

It's more likely you misread the gears than the drivetrain. LOL

Do 4.10s help for that engine? Have towed with the 5.3 before and was not very impressed.

4.10s definitely will help that engine. I have the 4.10s with a 5.3 in an 05 Avalanche & tow a 5k 21' Vride & Extreme trailer without a problem. It gears down on the steepest of hills & gets around 10 - 11 mpg.

But the LSV is easily 1000 lbs heavier, maybe more. Not to mention the Suburban is heavier & has more cargo area. I think I'd find a 6.0 liter if I were you, especially if your wanting to tow any longer distances or up any hills. I'm sure it will work for short runs though.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

4.10s definitely will help that engine. I have the 4.10s with a 5.3 in an 05 Avalanche & tow a 5k 21' Vride & Extreme trailer without a problem. It gears down on the steepest of hills & gets around 10 - 11 mpg.<br /> <br />But the LSV is easily 1000 lbs heavier, maybe more. Not to mention the Suburban is heavier & has more cargo area. I think I'd find a 6.0 liter if I were you, especially if your wanting to tow any longer distances or up any hills. I'm sure it will work for short runs though.

<br /><br />The 2500 series is rare but would be better for the LSV.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk <br />
  • Like 1

Looks like Chevy has quite offering the 2500 Suburban as of the end of the 2013 year model.

Bill your 2005 Avalanche has 290hp and by 2010 the Suburbans would have been bumped up to 320hp, both with 5.3. Also the 2010 will have a 6-speed tranny.

Edited by blk93jeepzj

Looks like Chevy has quite offering the 2500 Suburban as of the end of the 2013 year model.

Yes, but the 2014 model year is a short one as Chevy is releasing the totally redesigned 2015's in the early spring of this year. It will have the newly designed motors and likely have a top tow rating in the 10-12k range, matching or even beating the previous generation's 2500 tow ratings. The '14 1500 Sierra/Silverado with the 6.2L and 3.73 rear end have a 12k tow rating in 2WD form, 600 less with the 5.3L motor (4WD is 200lbs less across the board). The Suburban should be fairly similar in tow ratings.

Edited by Nitrousbird

Bill your 2005 Avalanche has 290hp and by 2010 the Suburbans would have been bumped up to 320hp, both with 5.3. Also the 2010 will have a 6-speed tranny.

Better look at the torque figures too as that's where your towing power comes from, not HP.

6 speed could help if the gear ratios were better for towing. Although maybe it would just shift more often, I don't know.

Even with both in your favor, I'd question how well it would tow the LSV. Technically the Av is supposed to be able to do it too (7700 lb tow cap.) but I think it would be really tough with anything more than about 6k lbs.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

i know that I have the trailering package on my 2014 Sierra, 5.3L. the tow rating is 9600lbs

I came from a 2008 Tahoe.....5.3 which had 9000lbs

towing is better - 320 to 355 HP

torque is more - can remember details

rating is close 9000 to 9600

think the rear end in this one is 3.42.....

but the gas mileage is soooooo much better and going from a 4 speed trannie to a 6 wow what a difference

(not towing) on the last 100km running around Vancouver I averaged 13.1L / 100 km which is about 18MPG.....compared to the 11 to 12 MPG I was getting with the Tahoe.

these new trucks make alot of horsepower and torque with great mileage

i know that I have the trailering package on my 2014 Sierra, 5.3L. the tow rating is 9600lbs

I came from a 2008 Tahoe.....5.3 which had 9000lbs

towing is better - 320 to 355 HP

torque is more - can remember details

rating is close 9000 to 9600

think the rear end in this one is 3.42.....

but the gas mileage is soooooo much better and going from a 4 speed trannie to a 6 wow what a difference

(not towing) on the last 100km running around Vancouver I averaged 13.1L / 100 km which is about 18MPG.....compared to the 11 to 12 MPG I was getting with the Tahoe.

these new trucks make alot of horsepower and torque with great mileage

DO you fellas have the ethanol in your gas?? or 100% dino juice??

DO you fellas have the ethanol in your gas?? or 100% dino juice??

you know I am not 100% sure, I don't think so, however their is one gas company up here I think it is Mohawk that has ethanol mixed in and alot of people comment to stay away from it as it is hard on hoses etc.....I think......

I know these trucks have E85 badges

• Like 1

I had the same setup on a 2008, and it did "ok" with my VLX. I might worry about you if you were going to be on highways for hours or in any hills. My biggest complaint was trying to merge onto interstate - needed more power.

Just curious, why?

Performance. E85 is 105 octane. Great for boosted and nitrous fed motors (when tuned correctly for it), or high compression motors that have the timing dialed way back to live on 93 pump gas. Otherwise, it is a stupid waste of money, as E85 has less energy in it so it is less fuel efficient as a result.
  • Like 1

Back to the tow vehicle, look for the 6.2 L with a six speed tranny. My 2008 GMC Denali is light years ahead of the 2001 5.3 Suburban in it's ability to tow our 23LSV.

Denali gets a better MPG as well.

Edited by dlb
  • Like 1

Back to the tow vehicle, look for the 6.2 L with a six speed tranny. My 2008 GMC Denali is light years ahead of the 2001 5.3 Suburban in it's ability to tow our 23LSV.

Denali gets a better MPG as well.

Yes you'll do better with the 6.2 for sure. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk <br />

For someone with limited vehicle knowledge, what makes the 6.2 lightyears ahead or how will I do better? I ask this because we had a 2007 GMC Yukon with the 5.3 and towed our LSV with it. Took it on 500+ mile road trips and it did fine. 70-75 mph the whole way. When we lived in Vegas, just as you pull out of Lake Mead there is a 7 mile long hill at 7% grade and I was always able to accelerate to the speed limit of 55 just fine. Maybe if I tried something with a bigger engine I would see the difference, but I never felt with our previous car that it wasn't capable of doing the job.

The yukon is lighter than the suburban obviously and the 4 speed tows better than the 6 in the 5.3, doesn't downshift as much. <br />Easy answer, it has almost 100 more horsepower and torque, and a superior transmission. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk <br />

400 hp, torque out the wazoo for a gasser and a six speed. The 5.3 four speed climbing hills, with the rpms screaming you could hold speed. IIRC climbing in 3rd gear you are turning 4 grand in rpms, watching your temp gage climb barely holding 60 mph. With the 6.2 and six gears climbing is not stressful, in 5th you are turning less than 2 and no rise in temperature, holding 65 or 70 with ease, mpg is better as well.

I tow a 23 LSV with gear and 6 people.

Edited by dlb

For someone with limited vehicle knowledge, what makes the 6.2 lightyears ahead or how will I do better? I ask this because we had a 2007 GMC Yukon with the 5.3 and towed our LSV with it. Took it on 500+ mile road trips and it did fine. 70-75 mph the whole way. When we lived in Vegas, just as you pull out of Lake Mead there is a 7 mile long hill at 7% grade and I was always able to accelerate to the speed limit of 55 just fine. Maybe if I tried something with a bigger engine I would see the difference, but I never felt with our previous car that it wasn't capable of doing the job.

1. Altitude... you lose power as you climb. If you ever plan to go over Donner Pass, 5.3 will meet its match.

2. Mountains... yes, there are long long grades in the desert. And they are steep and they go forever. But they do permit you to accelerate slowly and then hold a steady speed. Western NV and eastern CA, on the other hand, is "pitchier" with twists, turns and grade changes. This means that sometimes you need to slow while climbing before speeding back up. That's where you'll really feel the limitations of a 5.3.

Really it depends on your expectations. No doubt a 5.3 will get the job done, but it's unlikely to keep up with traffic *easily* on the steeper and higher grades. You will know you are towing. And for a lot of people that's perfectly OK (not everyone needs a brand new 800HP diesel).

I'd really be looking for a denali/escalade with 6.2 if you are tied to the newer body style GM full sized SUVs. A local friend with a 23LSV just made that switch from an F250 with 6.4 powerstroke a year ago, and he's happy with it.