Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Cooler

Well, after a years of dealing with wet carpet around my motorbox caused by a flattened flange on the intake side of my transmission cooler, I finally broke down and purchased a new one. Problem is, I took off the old one last winter and didn't mark which hose went where. There are two hoses that connect to the cooler from the transmission. How do I know which one goes on the top connection and which one goes on the bottom connection or does it matter? Thanks in advance for your help.

Daniel

Edited by Daniel
Well, after a years of dealing with wet carpet around my motorbox caused by a flattened flange on the intake side of my transmission cooler, I finally broke down and purchased a new one. Problem is, I took off the old one last winter and didn't mark which hose went where. There are two hoses that connect to the cooler from the transmission. How do I know which one goes on the top connection and which one goes on the bottom connection or does it matter? Thanks in advance for your help.

Daniel

If there is no flow indicator arrow on it, I don't beleive it maters. I think it is symetrical..no?? :unsure: Can anyone confirm? Dontknow.gif

To be most effective in cooling, the hot transmission fluid should flow opposite the cold water intake flow. You should determine which transmission line is the pressure and which is the return line and connect to the cooler accordingly.

Waterbuggy is correct according to my Clymer's manual. Daniel, on my 2003 RLX DD the lower hose coming off the tranny cooler goes to the port side of the transmission. The higher hose coming off the cooler goes to the top of the transmission.

Is there a pump on the tranny that causes circulation? The top of my transmission is obscured by a shroud.

Waterbuggy is correct according to my Clymer's manual. Daniel, on my 2003 RLX DD the lower hose coming off the tranny cooler goes to the port side of the transmission. The higher hose coming off the cooler goes to the top of the transmission.

Is there a pump on the tranny that causes circulation? The top of my transmission is obscured by a shroud.

Thanks, that is the info that I needed.

I'm kinda curious about the pump thing too, something else to check on during maintenance.

Daniel