Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow rig - Ford F-250 or F-350?

TallRedRider

I have a 2011 250 and my dad has a 2011 350.

The 350 has an extra leaf in the rear as well as different blocks. The rear of the 350 is 2" higher than my 250. Both trucks spec'd identically. It the extra height is an issue it is easy to buy the blocks for a 250 and swap.

The 350 also has hydro boost brakes vs the 250 with vacuum boost brakes. I think they switched the 350 to vacuum at some point since 2011 but I'm not sure.

There is a running argument on some of the Ford boards if the rear axel is larger or not on the 350. I haven't cared enough to open them up and see for myself.

That being said I've driven both trucks back to back. My 250 rides and drives slightly better. But I would be curious to see how the 350 rode with the shorter blocks from the 250. The biggest difference was the brake feel between the vacuum and hydro boost.

The price difference between the 250 and 350 equipped the same from the dealer is minimal. If you can swing the 350 it leaves you open to tow more (future proof any new hobbies) as well as have a larger pool of buyers when you go to resale.

Unless they are changing it again my 14 has a bigger turbo than the 13. That was something my dealer pointed out to me, they indicated it was a design change to mostly address high altitude towing but wanted to make sure I realized it was there. Are they doing another different turbo?

The 2015 Powerstrokes get the GT37 turbo and fuel system upgrades vs the GT32 in previoius engines. Apparently there are some minor internal changes as well.

I tow a new G25 with a 2008 F250 and it's a heavy boat but the truck does fine. No need for the 350 unless you have other reasons to do it. It may come down to finding the right combination of color/options/price - search all and shoot for the best deal as the price really isn't that different. I just wouldn't worry about needing the extra capacity.

I know here in British Columbia, you don't have to pay luxury tax on a 1 ton pickup truck. It's considered a work truck. Any truck smaller, the tax man gets you

• 1 year later...

Very nice. The 250 is probably a better fit. They ride so much better than the 350. I have a 3500 and i like to keep some of my bomb wake bags in the bed, because without weight the ride is rough! Put a few hundred pounds back there or a trailer and it rides real nice though.

I almost got. 350. Believe it or not USAA wouldn't insure a 350. A lot of companies consider them commercial.

I understand you are set on ford. But I drove all three and the duramax was the most impressive in my book followed by the ford and then the cummins. That is not what I expected but it is what I found.

mine is insured through usaa

I also meant to add something else. The new specs for GMC/Chevy state that the leg room is 45 inches. I was stoked to try it out when I saw that change for the new trucks. Compared to around 42 for most others.

I am not sure where they came up with that. It is complete BS. I loved the Duramax, and it certainly has its following, but the seats just are not right for a super tall person. I was like some sort of gangster sitting back behind the door rail, and could not see out the side. And my legs were still more bent than in my Ford. Sitting in the GMC was like trying on a new pair of stiff church shoes, but the Ford felt like an old pair of sneakers. I know that will not be most people's experience, but I just figured I would throw a bomb at the false advertising.

Tall,

Is that the lake between St George and Lake Powell I've passed by a few times in you pic? Been meaning to stop but never have.

Nice truck! I love my tundra, but since I have a daily driver I only use it for towing the boat lately. I would love to hear a detailed review of the Tundra vs. F250 (besides the obvious).

Tall,

Is that the lake between St George and Lake Powell I've passed by a few times in you pic? Been meaning to stop but never have.

Yes, that is Sand Hollow reservior. It is the most common lake to use for recreation around here. It isn't very big, and can get pretty busy on weekends, but it is 13 minutes from my doorstep, so I can't complain.

Pretty sure all but the springs are the same between the two. The exception is if you get dually as has a larger (Dana 80) axle compared to the SWR variants. As other have said, if I could find a well optioned 6.7 SBCC 4x4 ~$30 I'd be all over it. Most near that range already have 150k miles or more..... No thanks!

Edited by Roster man

One thing no one has brought up is parking a 1 ton in a parking lot. I have a 3/4 ton crew and its a pain. I don't haul anything with a large pin weight so I bought 3/4 ton.

One thing no one has brought up is parking a 1 ton in a parking lot. I have a 3/4 ton crew and its a pain. I don't haul anything with a large pin weight so I bought 3/4 ton.

What are you referring to? Just the overall size? There is no difference between a one ton and a 3/4 unless you opt for DRW as far as I know. But yes any HD truck with a crew cab is gonna be fun to park.
  • Like 1

I was referring to width and the turning radius.

Width is the same unless you go drw (dual rear wheels) and according to ford literature the turning circles are identical across the 250-350 lineup based on wheelbase of course. Obviously a crew cab 8' box is going to be harder to park than a regular cab. Looks like the turning circle of a crew cab with a 6 3/4' box is 51.8ft

Interestingly a crew cab f150 with the 6.5' box is 50.4ft

And yes I have too much time on my hands. Sick in bed today.

Edited by ajeep4u