Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass Alternatives?

hunter77ah

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if there were any aftermarket alternatives to Perfect Pass. I was talking with my buddy today about the upcoming season and suggested that he get Perfect Pass for his boat. I didn't realize that a basic system is over 1k now. Are there any alternatives?

He has a 1994 Sport Nautique which throws a pretty decent wakeboard wake when loaded with 2k ballast, but it (or he) can't hold the speed steady.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

besides aforementioned hydrophase, there's not much out there. I looked around and finally spent it all for PP SG this past year. I also went this route because it's tested and true and there's a lot of available help resources with a product that so many around here use.

For all the 'Bu owners, I think anything made from the mid-late 90's on has 5" gauges, so the classic won't work. The newer unit is no cheaper than a PP Stargazer so I'm not sure if there is a benefit going to it over the proven PP. The "why we are better" reasons are weak at best.

Thanks guys. I figured PP would end up being the "only" option. Now I just need to work on convincing him of the benefits. He loves the malibu cruize on my vlx, but just hasn't decided to get anything for his boat yet.

@hunter77ah: Perfect Pass is pretty much the mechanical throttle system of choice although the hydrophase unit also exists. ZO is the newer option, DBW only so pretty much the standard for newer boats. Another option is an old Accuski unit, probably available quite cheap but they have been out of business for several years and the way it works is backwards to PP, although it is a pretty darn good system from a pull standpoint and has lots of options. Ski-it-again would be a source for used speed control systems/parts.

• 5 years later...

I know I am reviving an old post but I found this forum recently when I was looking for something that wasn't so expensive. Anyone who stumbles on this should take a look at this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588594015/wake-speed-systems-gps-speed-control-retrofit?ref=creator_nav

On 11/3/2019 at 11:05 PM, collusionbdbh said:

I know I am reviving an old post but I found this forum recently when I was looking for something that wasn't so expensive. Anyone who stumbles on this should take a look at this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588594015/wake-speed-systems-gps-speed-control-retrofit?ref=creator_nav

No backers.  I wouldn't want to be an early adopter of that concept either.

I'm confused - where is the economy in this?  $549 for the kickstarter plus a tablet vs tried and true PP Stargazer is about $1,000 for a kit that has everything.

Edited by oldjeep
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I'm confused - where is the economy in this?  $549 for the kickstarter plus a tablet vs tried and true PP Stargazer is about $1,000 for a kit that has everything.

$549 CAD is about $410 USD and it uses your phone's GPS.  Overall I don't think it is a bad idea, but clearly verion 1.1 should be up before asking for backers.  

7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Do you go boating without your phone?  Mine is always on the wireless charging dock, streaming music.  My concern is this not being a POS.  PP Stargazer is about $1300, so this is half the price...

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

Do you go boating without your phone?  Mine is always on the wireless charging dock, streaming music.  My concern is this not being a POS.  PP Stargazer is about $1300, so this is half the price...

You are off a bit on the prices.  SG is $1389 USD plus shiping or about $1850CAD.  And I never go out without a phone.  Safety, emergency, client calls that I can bill  for... :)

7 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You are off a bit on the prices.  SG is $1389 USD plus shiping or about $1850CAD.  And I never go out without a phone.  Safety, emergency, client calls that I can bill  for... :)

If he wants to ski the course, $1349 shipped: https://www.bakesonline.com/perfect-pass-star-gazer-3-event-edition-mechanical.html

If not, $1195 shipped:  https://www.bakesonline.com/perfect-pass-star-gazer-wakeboard-edition-mechanical.html