Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Helmet

Moufoo

I was wondering if a helmet helps when you fall. I know you need one if you hit sliders, but 3 days ago I took a hard fall attempting a backflip, and my head is still pounding. I hope a helmet would help at least allitle bit.

The helmet does help, I can take a faceplant today and not even worry about. In the past a couple big ones would do me in for the day. I recommend one with removable ear flaps - attach them when going big and remove when just wanting the brain bucket.

The helmet does help, I can take a faceplant today and not even worry about. In the past a couple big ones would do me in for the day. I recommend one with removable ear flaps - attach them when going big and remove when just wanting the brain bucket.

Shin-Guards would help when wake skating....right Tgaugh?

I was wondering if a helmet helps when you fall. I know you need one if you hit sliders, but 3 days ago I took a hard fall attempting a backflip, and my head is still pounding. I hope a helmet would help at least allitle bit.

The helmet will not prevent it but it helps a lot. My friends rip on me because of it, but when they take those headers... I hold the helmet up. Then the finger comes out!

Get the helmet!

I wouldn't take the ear flaps out.

Why bother wearing the helmet if it's only going to do half of it's job?

Blowing an eardrum is pretty nasty and common.

I wouldn't take the ear flaps out.

Music! Crazy.gif

Yes shin guards would be nice for wakeskatin...It can end your season! Rob, the dog only wears a vest until he is comfortable riding switch, when he starts jumping he'll sport the bucket! Biggrin.gif

Very timely post. We test drove a 06 VLX last Friday. My son wanted to board and surf behind it to check out the wake. Unfortunately, his regular board is up at the lake an hour away so the dealer hooked him up with a loaner. Didn't take long for him to figure out he couldn't control it and couldn't land his jumps. But he wouldn't give up. Probably 6 good crashes on the back of his neck and head. By Sat afternoon his headache was so bad I took him to the Urgent Care clinic and then to the ER for a Cat Scan. After $200 in insuarnce co-pays Cry.gif and 6 hours of waiting around on a Sat night, Mad.gif we'll be getting a helmet for the boat and everyone will be wearing it!

By the way, the wake on that VLX is HUGE! Yahoo.gif It was my 1st time in one.

Helmet, smelmet. Have one remaining brain cell, it can't be killed :blush: I suppose in another 20 years we will be dressing kids in helmets to walk down the street Biggrin.gif

I bought a helmet for the very reason that you are asking Moufoo. Came up short on a back roll and the tip of the board dug in, slapping the side of my head on the water. I hit so hard, I honestly couldn't feel my limbs for a second or two. My first wreck with the helmet on was just as ugly, but didn't hurt near as bad.

I've also found that I'll try to do more with the helmet on, cause I know it's not gonna hurt as bad.

Daniel

4 Days later and my head still hurts. Thanks for the feedback, which helmet would you recommend? I've seen some in overtons and in my wakeboarding magazines, not sure which one to go with.

Pro Tec Ace Wake Helmet

This topic has been cover (once or twice Crazy.gif )

Helmet discussion spurred by injury

Short "Helmets For Kids" Thread

Thread with poll about helmet use.

"Major Injuries and Safety Gear"

Another Helmet Thread

Yet Another Helmet Thread

And Another

And Still Another

Obviously, we've talked about helmets a lot this past year. Surprised.gif The only question I have is........Does anyone ever use the search function? :lol: j/k

Pro Tec Ace Wake Helmet

This topic has been cover (once or twice Crazy.gif )

Helmet discussion spurred by injury

Short "Helmets For Kids" Thread

Thread with poll about helmet use.

"Major Injuries and Safety Gear"

Another Helmet Thread

Yet Another Helmet Thread

And Another

And Still Another

Obviously, we've talked about helmets a lot this past year. Surprised.gif The only question I have is........Does anyone ever use the search function? :lol: j/k

If they did that, you wouldn't have anyone to patronize.

j/k...some

Daniel

If they did that, you wouldn't have anyone to patronize.
Fine. Be that way. Baby.gif But am I wrong? No.gif

[mutters to self]And I even put the "j/k" and the LOL emoticon there to soften it. Oh well...[/muttering] ;)

yeah i would get a helmet. I wish i was wearing a helmet the day i got 12 staples in the head. I think it hurts just as bad when you hit the water with a helmet than without one.